The winners of the 2013 World Fantasy Awards were announced this weekend at the World Fantasy Convention in Brighton, UK:
- LIFE ACHIEVEMENT (previously announced):
- Susan Cooper
- Tanith Lee
- NOVEL: Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson (Grove; Corvus)
- NOVELLA: “Let Maps to Others” by K.J. Parker (Subterranean Summer ’12)
- SHORT STORY: “The Telling” by Gregory Norman Bossert (Beneath Ceaseless Skies 11/29/12)
- ANTHOLOGY: Postscripts #28/#29: Exotic Gothic 4 edited by Danel Olson (PS Publishing)
- COLLECTION: Where Furnaces Burn by Joel Lane (PS Publishing)
- ARTIST: Vincent Chong
- SPECIAL AWARD—PROFESSIONAL: Lucia Graves for the translation of The Prisoner of Heaven (Weidenfeld & Nicholson; Harper) by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- SPECIAL AWARD—NON-PROFESSIONAL: S.T. Joshi for Unutterable Horror: A History of Supernatural Fiction, Volumes 1 & 2 (PS Publishing)
Congratulations to the winners!
The winners of the 2013 British Fantasy Awards have been announced at the awards banquet at the World Fantasy Convention in Brighton.
- BEST FANTASY NOVEL (the Robert Holdstock Award): Some Kind of Fairy Tale, Graham Joyce (Gollancz)
- BEST HORROR NOVEL (the August Derleth Award): Last Days, Adam Nevill (Macmillan)
- BEST NOVELLA: The Nine Deaths of Dr Valentine, John Llewellyn Probert (Spectral Press)
- BEST SHORT STORY: Shark! Shark!, Ray Cluley (Black Static #29) (TTA Press)
- BEST COLLECTION: Remember Why You Fear Me, Robert Shearman (ChiZine Publications)
- BEST ANTHOLOGY: Magic: an Anthology of the Esoteric and Arcane, Jonathan Oliver (ed.) (Solaris)
- BEST SMALL PRESS (the PS Publishing Independent Press Award): ChiZine Publications (Brett Alexander Savory and Sandra Kasturi)
- BEST NON-FICTION: Pornokitsch, Anne C. Perry and Jared Shurin (eds)
- BEST MAGAZINE/PERIODICAL: Interzone, Andy Cox (ed.) (TTA Press)
- BEST ARTIST: Sean Phillips
- BEST COMIC/GRAPHIC NOVEL: Saga, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Image Comics)
- BEST SCREENPLAYN: The Cabin in the Woods, Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard
- BEST NEWCOMER (the Sydney J. Bounds Award): Helen Marshall, for Hair Side, Flesh Side (ChiZine Publications)
- SPECIAL AWARD (the Karl Edward Wagner Award): Iain Banks / Iain M. Banks
Congratulations to the winners!
- 2013 RAVENHEART AWARD FOR BEST FANTASY COVER ART: Didier Graffet and Dave Senior for the cover of Red Country by Joe Abercrombie (Gollancz)
- 2013 MORNINGSTAR AWARD FOR BEST FANTASY DEBUT: John Gwynne for Malice (Pan MacMillan)
- 2013 LEGEND AWARD FOR BEST FANTASY NOVEL: Brent Weeks for The Blinding Knife (Orbit)
Congratulations to the winners!
The winners of 2013 Aurora Award, celebrating the best in Canadian fiction (in both English and French), have been announced:
- NOVEL: The Silvered – Tanya Huff
- YA FICTION: Under my Skin, The Wildlings – Charles de Lint
- SHORT FICTION: “The Walker of the Shifting Borderland” – Douglas Smith
- POEM / SONG: “A Sea Monster Tells His Story” – David Clink
- GRAPHIC NOVEL: Weregeek – Alina Pete
- RELATED WORK: Hayden Trenholm – Blood and Water
- ARTIST: Erik Mohr – Cover Art for ChiZine Publications
- FAN PUBLICATION: Speculating Canada Blog – Derek Newman-Stille
- FAN FILK: Kari Maaren – Body of Work
- FAN ORGANIZATIONAL: Randy McCharles – When Worlds Collide
- FAN RELATED WORK: Ron Friedman – Aurora Awards Voter Package
Congratulations to all the winners!
- 2013 Copper Cylinder Adult Award: The Chaos by Nalo Hopkinson (McElderry Books)
- 2013 Copper Cylinder Young Adult Award: Starling by Lesley Livingston (HarperCollins).
From the press release:
Read the rest of this entry
If you attended the Hugo ceremony, or watched it online , you will remember the video depicting Vincent creating the base. That video has now been released into the wild by the video’s director, John Davis (who also directed, among other things, Jimmy Neutron). When I spoke with Vincent, he told me that the protective eyewear he wears in the video are antiques, actually worn by smelters decades ago.
Check it out after the jump and see the marvelous close-ups of the awesome base.
- BEST COVER ILLUSTRATION, PAPERBACK BOOK: John Picacio: The Creative Fire by Brenda Cooper, Pyr, November 2012
- BEST COVER ILLUSTRATION, HARDBACK BOOK: Todd Lockwood: The Wild Road by Jennifer Roberson, DAW, September 2012
- BEST COVER ILLUSTRATION, MAGAZINE: Ken Barthelmey: Clarkesworld #74 November 2012
- BEST INTERIOR ILLUSTRATION: Sam Burley: “Brother. Prince. Snake.” by Cecil Castellucci, Tor.com, July 2012
- BEST MONOCHROME, UNPUBLISHED: Raoul Vitale: “Last of His Kind,” pencil
- BEST COLOR WORK: UNPUBLISHED: Julie Bell: “A Passion for the Future,” oil
- BEST THREE-DIMENSIONAL ART: James Shoop: “Ramautar,” bronze
- BEST GAMING-RELATED ILLUSTRATION: David Palumbo: “Ereshkigal, Death Mistress” (“Legend of the Cryptids”) Applibot Inc., April 2012
- BEST PRODUCT ILLUSTRATION: John Picacio: La Sirena Loteria card 2012
- BEST ART DIRECTOR: Irene Gallo for Tor
- AWARD FOR LIFETIME ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT: Brom
The Chesleys are given by the Association of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists each year. This year’s ceremony took place at the 71st World Science Fiction convention, LoneStarCon 3, in San Antonio, TX, August 29th–September 2nd. Congratulations to all the nominees and winners!
Since much of the SF Signal crew were knee-deep in Worldcon (and lovin’ every minute of it), this announcement comes later than usual: The winners of the 2013 Hugo Awards have been announced!
(Woot! More to come later. )
Here are the winners:
- BEST NOVEL: Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi (Tor)
- BEST NOVELLA: “The Emperor’s Soul” by Brandon Sanderson (Tachyon Publications)
- BEST NOVELETTE: “The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi” by Pat Cadigan (Edge of Infinity, Solaris)
- BEST SHORT STORY: “Mono no Aware” by Ken Liu (The Future is Japanese, VIZ Media LLC)
- BEST RELATED WORK: Writing Excuses, Season 7 by Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, Mary Robinette Kowal, Howard Tayler, and Jordan Sanderson
- BEST GRAPHIC STORY: Saga, Volume 1 written by Brian K. Vaughn, illustrated by Fiona Staples (Image Comics)
- BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION (LONG FORM): The Avengers Screenplay & Directed by Joss Whedon (Marvel Studios, Disney, Paramount)
- BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION (SHORT FORM): Game of Thrones: “Blackwater” Written by George R.R. Martin, Directed by Neil Marshall. Created by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (HBO)
- BEST EDITOR – SHORT FORM: Stanley Schmidt
- BEST EDITOR – LONG FORM: Patrick Nielsen Hayden
- BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST: John Picacio
- BEST SEMIPROZINE: Clarkesworld edited by Neil Clarke, Jason Heller, Sean Wallace, and Kate Baker
- BEST FANZINE: SF Signal edited by John DeNardo, JP Frantz, and Patrick Hester
- BEST FANCAST: SF Squeecast, Elizabeth Bear, Paul Cornell, Seanan McGuire, Lynne M. Thomas, Catherynne M. Valente (Presenters), and David McHone-Chase (Technical Producer)
- BEST FAN WRITER: Tansy Rayner Roberts
- BEST FAN ARTIST: Galen Dara
The John W. Campbell Award for the best new professional science fiction or fantasy writer of 2011 or 2012, sponsored by Dell Magazines (not a Hugo Award): Mur Lafferty
The 2013 Hugo Award winners were announced on Sunday evening, September 1, at the Marriott Rivercenter Hotel in San Antonio. The ceremony was hosted by LoneStarCon 3 Toastmaster Paul Cornell.
The 2013 Hugo trophy base was designed and cast in bronze by Texan sculptor Vincent Villafranca.
Congratulation to all the (other) winners!
The finalists for the 2013 World Fantasy Awards have been announced!
- The Killing Moon, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
- Some Kind of Fairy Tale, Graham Joyce (Gollancz; Doubleday)
- The Drowning Girl, CaitlÃn R. Kiernan (Roc)
- Crandolin, Anna Tambour (ChÃ´mu)
- Alif the Unseen, G. Willow Wilson (Grove; Corvus)
The finalists for the 2013 David Gemmell Legend Awards have been announced!
- Joe Abercrombie: Red Country (Gollancz)
- Jay Kristoff: Stormdancer (Pan Macmillan UK)
- Mark Lawrence: King of Thorns (HarperCollins/Voyager)
- Helen Lowe: The Gathering of the Lost (Orbit)
- Brent Weeks: The Blinding Knife (Orbit)
The winners of the 2012 Shirley Jackson Awards were announced at Readercon 24:
- NOVEL: Edge by Koji Suzuki (Vertical, Inc.)
- NOVELLA: “Sky” by Kaaron Warren (Through Splintered Walls, Twelfth Planet Press)
- NOVELETTE: “Reeling for the Empire” by Karen Russell (Tin House, Winter 2012)
- SHORT FICTION: “A Natural History of Autumn” by Jeffrey Ford (Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, July/August 2012)
- SINGLE-AUTHOR COLLECTION: Crackpot Palace by Jeffrey Ford (William Morrow)
- EDITED ANTHOLOGY: Exotic Gothic 4: Postscripts #28/29 edited by Danel Olson (PS Publishing)
Congratulations to all the honorees and winners!
The 2013 inductees to the Science Fiction Hall of Fame have just been announced.
- H.R. Giger
- Judith Merril
- Joanna Russ
- David Bowie
- J.R.R. Tolkien
LoneStarCon 3, the 71st World Science Fiction Convention, has opened up
online voting for the 2013 Hugo Award and John W. Campbell Award.
Voters will need their access PIN and have until July 31st, 2013 at 11:59 PM CDT to vote.
The finalists for the 2013 British Fantasy Awards have been announced:
- Blood and Feathers, Lou Morgan (Solaris)
- The Brides of Rollrock Island, Margo Lanagan (David Fickling Books)
- Railsea, China Miéville (Macmillan)
- Red Country, Joe Abercrombie (Gollancz)
- Some Kind of Fairy Tale, Graham Joyce (Gollancz)