The winners of the 2014 World Fantasy Awards have been announced!
- LIFE ACHIEVEMENT WINNERS
- Ellen Datlow
- Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
- NOVEL: Sofia Samatar, A Stranger in Olondria (Small Beer Press)
- NOVELLA: Andy Duncan & Ellen Klages “Wakulla Springs” (Tor.com, 10/13)
- SHORT STORY: Caitlín R. Kiernan, “The Prayer of Ninety Cats” (Subterranean magazine, Spring 2013)
- ANTHOLOGY: George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, eds. Dangerous Women (Tor Books/Voyager UK)
- COLLECTION: Caitlín R. Kiernan, The Ape’s Wife and Other Stories (Subterranean Press)
- ARTIST: Charles Vess
- SPECIAL AWARD—PROFESSIONAL:
- Irene Gallo, for art direction of Tor.com
- William K. Schafer, for Subterranean Press
- SPECIAL AWARD—NON-PROFESSIONAL: Kate Baker, Neil Clarke & Sean Wallace, for Clarkesworld
Congratulations to the winners!
Congratulations to the winners of theSunburst Award Society’s Copper Cylinder Awards!
- 2014 Copper Cylinder Adult Award: River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay (Penguin Group Canada).
- 2014 Copper Cylinder Young Adult Award: Homeland by Cory Doctorow (Tom Doherty Associates).
From the press release:
The Associated Press announced that Ursula K. Le Guin is receiving an honorary National Book Award!
The National Book Foundation, which presents the awards, announced Tuesday that Le Guin was receiving the 2014 Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. Previous winners include Toni Morrison, Norman Mailer and Elmore Leonard. Le Guin, 84, is known for such novels as The Left Hand of Darkness and The Farthest Shore, which in 1973 won the National Book Award for young people’s literature.
Neil Gaiman, who has long cited Le Guin as among his favorite writers, will present her with the medal at a ceremony being held in New York on November 19th.
See also: The National Book Foundation announcement.
The Canadian Science Fiction & Fantasy Association has announced the first-ever group of inductess for the Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame:
- William Gibson
- Phyllis Gotlieb (Lifetime Achievement)
- Judith Merril (Lifetime Achievement)
- Dennis Mullin (Lifetime Achievement)
- Jeanne Robinson
- Spider Robinson
- Robert J. Sawyer (Lifetime Achievement)
- A.E. van Vogt (Lifetime Achievement)
- Susan Wood (Lifetime Achievement)
The inductees include the six winners of the Aurora Award Lifetime Achievement Award plus three additional names selected by a jury. The 2014 jurors are Clint Budd (chair), Steve Fahnestalk, Robert J. Sawyer, Lorna Toolis, and Diana Walton.
The induction ceremony will occur at the October 4th Aurora Awards Ceremony at VCON 39 the weekend of October 3-5, 2014.
Congrats to the inductees!
[via SF Site and Locus Online]
The winners of the 2014 British Fantasy Awards were announced on Sunday at FantasyCon 2014 in York:
The winners of the 2014 Hugo Award have been announced.
[Woot! Hooray for Patrick Hester and the SF Signal Podcast!]
- BEST NOVEL: Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
- BEST NOVELLA: “Equoid” by Charles Stross (Tor.com, 09-2013)
- BEST NOVELETTE: “The Lady Astronaut of Mars” by Mary Robinette Kowal (maryrobinettekowal.com/Tor.com, 09-2013)
- BEST SHORT STORY: “The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere” by John Chu (Tor.com, 02-2013)BEST RELATED WORK: “We Have Always Fought: Challenging the Women, Cattle and Slaves Narrative” by Kameron Hurley (A Dribble of Ink)
- BEST GRAPHIC STORY: “Time” by Randall Munroe (XKCD)
- BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION (LONG FORM): Gravity written by Alfonso Cuarón & Jonás Cuarón, directed by Alfonso Cuarón (Esperanto Filmoj; Heyday Films; Warner Bros.)
- BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION (SHORT FORM): Game of Thrones: “The Rains of Castamere” written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, directed by David Nutter (HBO Entertainment in association with Bighead, Littlehead; Television 360; Startling Television and Generator Productions)
- BEST EDITOR – SHORT FORM: Ellen Datlow
- BEST EDITOR – LONG FORM: Ginjer Buchanan
- BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST: Julie Dillon
- BEST SEMIPROZINE: Lightspeed Magazine edited by John Joseph Adams, Rich Horton, and Stefan Rudnicki
- BEST FANZINE: A Dribble of Ink edited by Aidan Moher
- BEST FANCAST: SF Signal Podcast – Patrick Hester
- BEST FAN WRITER: Kameron Hurley
- BEST FAN ARTIST: Sarah Webb
- JOHN W. CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER (Not a Hugo): Sofia Samatar
Congratulations to all the winners!
Here are the voting stats.
See also: Past winners
The winners for the 2014 Chesley Awards have been announced!
- BEST COVER ILLUSTRATION: HARDBACK BOOK: Todd Lockwood for A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan; Tor, Feb. 2013
- BEST COVER ILLUSTRATION: PAPERBACK BOOK: Kerem Beyit for The Scroll of Years by Chris Willrich; Pyr, Sept. 2013
- BEST COVER ILLUSTRATION: MAGAZINE: Dan Dos Santos for Fables #136; Vertigo, Dec. 2013
- BEST INTERIOR ILLUSTRATION: Brian Kesinger for Walking Your Octopus, July 2013; Baby Tattoo Books
- BEST THREE-DIMENSIONAL ART: Devon Dorrity for Cecaelia, Queen of the Ocean, clay
- BEST UNPUBLISHED: COLOR WORK: Donato Giancola for Huor and Hurin Approaching Gondolin, oil on linen
- BEST UNPUBLISHED: MONOCHROME WORK: Ruth Sanderson for The Descent or Persephone, scratchboard
- BEST PRODUCT ILLUSTRATION: Julie Bell & Boris Vallejo for Jeannie’s Kitten, IlluXCon 6 promotional art
- BEST GAMING-RELATED ILLUSTRATION: Lucas Graciano for The Last Stand of Thorin Oakenshield for The Battle of Five Armies Board Game, Ares Games
- BEST ART DIRECTOR: Irene Gallo, Tor & Tor.com
- LIFETIME ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: Jim Burns
Congrats to all the winners!
The winners of the 1939 Retro Hugo Award were announced at LonCon 3:
The finalists for this year’s Parsec Awards, presented for excellence in science fiction podcasting, have been announced.
The winners of the 2013 Shirley Jackson Awards, recognizing outstanding achievement in the literature of psychological suspense, horror, and the dark fantastic have been announced!
- American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett (Orbit)
- “Cry Murder! In a Small Voice” by Greer Gilman (Small Beer Press)
SINGLE-AUTHOR COLLECTION (tie)
- Before and Afterlives by Christopher Barzak (Lethe Press)
- North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud (Small Beer Press)
- Grimscribe’s Puppets edited by Joseph S. Pulver, Sr. (Miskatonic River Press)
Congratulations to all the winners!
The Libertarian Futurist Society has announced the winners of the for the 2014 Prometheus Award, recognizing pro-freedom novels published in the last year, and the Hall of Fame Award for best classic fiction:
The Libertarian Futurist Society has announced the finalists for the 2014 Prometheus Award, recognizing pro-freedom novels published in the last year, and the Hall of Fame Award for best classic fiction:
The finalists for the World Fantasy Awards have been announced!
- Dust Devil on a Quiet Street by Richard Bowes (Lethe)
- A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan (Tor)
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Morrow; Headline Review)
- A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar (Small Beer)
- The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Harper)
- The Land Across by Gene Wolfe (Tor)
ASFA (the Association of Science Fiction & Fantasy Artists) has announced the finalists for the 2014 Chesley Awards!
Best Cover Illustration: Hardback Book – Click for Gallery
- Jason Chan - Lost Covenant: A Widdershins Adventure by Ari Marmell; Pyr, Dec. 2013
- Kekai Kotaki - Quintessence by David Walton; Tor, March 2013
- Maurizio Manzieri - Book of Iron by Elizabeth Bear; Subterranean Press, Sept. 2013
- Todd Lockwood - A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan; Tor, Feb. 2013
- Michael Whelan - A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson; Tor, Jan. 2013
- Allen Williams - Light Reading, Queen Victoria’s Book of Spells, edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling; Tor, March 2013
While I was away from my computer last weekend, he winners of the 2014 Locus Awards were announced!
The 2014 inductees to the Science Fiction Hall of Fame have just been announced!
- Leigh Brackett
- Frank Frazetta
- Stanley Kubrick
- Hayao Miyazaki
- Olaf Stapledon
The finalists for this year’s Sunburst Award — a juried award celebrating excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic — have been announced announced!
The finalists for the 2014 Manly Wade Wellman Award, honoring North Carolina Science Fiction and Fantasy, have been announced!
The winners of the The David Gemmell Legend Awards have been announced!
Legend Award (Best novel)
- Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (Harper Collins UK)
The winners of the John W. Campbell Award and Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award were announced ahead of this weekend’s Campbell Conference in Lawrence Kansas, where the awards will be presented to the winners.
John W. Campbell Award
- Strange Bodies by by Marcel Theroux
Theodore Sturgeon Award