Samuel R. Delany, Jane Yolen, Kate Elliott, Walter Mosley, Jonathan Lethem, N. K. Jemisin, and Gary K. Wolfe pay tribute to Octavia E. Butler and discuss her lasting legacy.
Here’s an interesting video from the University of California San Diego, presented by The Arthur C. Clarke Center for Human Imagination and the Helen Edison Lecture Series…
Jonathan Lethem (the series editor for Library of America’s Philip K. Dick volumes) and Kim Stanley Robinson discuss the influence of Philip K. Dick on science fiction and their writing.
- Codex Pictures (the folks who brought you Bionicle DVD movies) announced making a CG DVD movie based on Warhammer 40,000 called Ultramarines, a “70-minute sci-fi thriller that will use CGI and state-of-the-art animation production techniques”. The film’s website is pretty bare right now…for now you can read Tim’s list of 5 Reasons Why You Should Read a Warhammer 40,000 Book. [via Topless Robot]
- Interviews and Profiles:
- Jo Walton reviews C.J. Cherryh’s The Pride of Chanur.
- Matthew Sturges (who, acting on his own behalf, sold the German rights for both Midwinter and Office of Shadow to Verlagsgruppe Lübbe) shows off the great new cover of Office of Shadow
- Tired of the plethora of vampire shows? This Twilight spoof is for you.
- There’s a new season/series of The Sarah Jane Adventures coming soon. I still think Young Doctor Who is a good idea.
- Gary Westfahl reviews FlashForward
- Are you insured against an alien invasion? Didn’t think so.
- Rwo words: Zombie bunny.
- Gunaxin lists 10 Science Fiction Concepts Ruined by Human Nature.
- JOhn Scalzi lists The Best and Worst Television Adaptations of SciFi Classics.
- Tony C. Smith has posted the awesome cover for his upcoming anthology, StarShip Sofa Stories, Volume 1.
- Interviews & Profiles:
- The latest Starship Sofa podcast features Jeff VanderMeer, Mike Allen, and Jeremy Tolbert.
- @Opinionated? Me? : Kaaron Warren (Slights).
- Rocketkapre.com Mind-Melds Philippine SF notables and asks: What’s your favorite Philippine speculative fiction story?
- io9 interviews Jeremy Lassen from Night Shade Books.
- @Suite101.com: Elizabeth Ann Scarborough.
- NY Times Book Review: Jonathan Lethem essays on J.G. Ballard, Poet of Desolate Landscapes. [via Locus Online]
- Mur Lafferty’s latest podcast addresses Content rating system for children’s books.
- EVENT: The Montauk Club is pleased to announce an evening celebrating Edgar Allan Poe with readings from Poe: 19 New Tales Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe, edited by Ellen Datlow and published by Solaris Books. The reading will take place at 8 PM, September 25, 2009, in the historic 120 year-old Ballroom at the Montauk Club, 25 Eighth Avenue, Park Slope, Brooklyn (adjacent to Grand Army Plaza).
- SF Signal irregular Karen Burnham now sports some ultra-cool tattoos.
- Listverse lists 12 Facts About Star Wars You Probably Don’t Know.