By John DeNardo | Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 at 12:12 am
- With all the hoopla over The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF edited by Mike Ashley, did you ever wonder if it was good? Strange Horizons has Graham Sleight’s take.
- Interviews and Profiles:
- Damien G. Walter launches the The ‘Zine Link-up Meme.
- Futurismic asks: Is patronage the answer for Profitable post-web publishing? [via Big Dumb Object]
- Author James Bradley has a wonderfully in-depth review of The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham: “Yet this disinterest is of a piece with the novel’s desire to unsettle not by transporting the reader to a world unknown to them, but by taking the world they know and exposing the assumptions at its core. Indeed despite the common criticism of Wyndham’s novels, that they are too polite, too bourgeois, too English (Brian Aldiss famously described them as ‘cosy catastrophes’) his visions of a ruined world do not suffer because of their muted ordinariness; rather they are unsettling precisely because of that ordinariness.” [via SciFi Scanner]
- Joseph Mallozzi reviews Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover.
- Joe Abercrombie likes District 9.
- Mark Charan Newton shows off the Benjamin Carre cover of his next book City of Ruin.
- EVENT: Forbidden Planet hosts a signing by Iain Banks (Transition) at the Forbidden Planet Megastore, 179 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8JR, on Saturday 3rd October 1 – 2pm.
- Jim C. Hines lists 20 Neil Gaiman Facts.
- Today’s Moment of Geeky Zen: Jonathan Coulton serenades Wil Wheaton at PAX 2009.
By John DeNardo | Monday, August 3rd, 2009 at 11:28 am
- “Out of the Sun” by Arthur C. Clarke
- “The Pevatron Rats” by Stephen Baxter *
- “The Edge of the Map” by Ian Creasey
- “Cascade Point” by Timothy Zahn
- “A Dance to Strange Musics” by Gregory Benford
- “Palindromic” by Peter Crowther
- “Castle in the Sky” by Robert Reed *
- “The Hole in the Hole” by Terry Bisson
- “Hotrider” by Keith Brooke
- “Mother Grasshopper” by Michael Swanwick
- “Waves and Smart Magma” by Paul Di Filippo *
- “The Black Hole Passes” by John Varley
- “The Peacock King” by Ted White & Larry McCombs
- “Bridge” by James Blish
- “Anhedonia” by Adam Roberts *
- “Tiger Burning” by Alastair Reynolds
- “The Width of the World” by Ian Watson
- “Our Lady of the Sauropods” by Robert Silverberg
- “Into the Miranda Rift” by G. David Nordley
- “The Rest is Speculation” by Eric Brown *
- “Vacuum States” by Geoffrey A. Landis
* = New story written for this anthology
[via Marooned and Mike Ashley]