Executive Producer Ron Moore (Battlestar Galactica) has a new show on SyFy: Helix. They describe the show as “an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to a remote research facility to investigate a possible outbreak. Once there, they find themselves embroiled in a life-and-death struggle that could spell mankind’s salvation – or annihilation.”
Here’s the first 15 minutes of Episode #1…
The SyFy Channel premieres Defiance on April 15th, but you can get a taste right now in the 14-minute preview. This is the series that has a simultaneous video game tie-in. Both the series and the game are about a near-future, terraformed Earth. In a town called Defiance, actually, which used to be St. Louis.
Here’s a synopsis of series and game, as well as a 14-minute video preview of the series.
According to Variety, the Syfy channel is adapting Philip K. Dick’s classic alternate history novel The Man in the High Castle into a four-part miniseries. Ridley Scott is attached as Executive producer.
The premise of the novel is that Nazi Germany and Japan were the victors in World War II and occupy the U.S. in 1962, the time the story takes place. Frank Spotnitz (The X-Files) will be the primary screenwriter and also serve as Executive producer.
No word yet whether Megashark or Mansquito will make an appearance.
SyFy is airing an all-day Twilight Zone marathon for the 4th of July. Check local listings for times.
“…you unlock this door, with the key of imagination…”
- There’s a new King Kong prequel film coming, based on the book Kong: King of Skull Island by Joe DeVito and Brad Strickland.
- Mark Kelly posts about The Charles N. Brown Memorials.
- Interviews and Profiles:
- @Graeme’s Fantasy Book Review: Tim Lebbon (Bar None and the focus of this interview, Hellboy).
- @Books I Done Read: Margo Lanagan (Tender Morsels).
- @I Should Be Writing: Mur Lafferty podcast-interviews Greg van Eekhout (Norse Code).
- @Fast Forward: a video-interview with Michael Swanwick
- @Bibliophile Stalker: Kaaron Warren (Slights).
- Mark Teppo guest-blogs at Electric Velocipede Blog.
- Tor.com is SFWA’s newest qualifying short fiction market.
- 8 More Pyr Titles Arrive on the Kindle
- Anticipation announces the WorldCon preliminary programme schedule [PDF].
- On Why Syfy is a Good Idea. [via Torque Control]
- io9 wonders What If Greedo Really Shot First? [via SciFi Scanner]
- I can’t even begin to tell you about all the cool stuff at tumblr blog Distracted by Star Wars.
- Video: The Making of a Star Wars AT-AT Loft Bed.
- Core Dump points us to this Science Photo Library.
- Mindless diversion that last for about 3 seconds: The Harry Potter Sequel Generator.
- Living proof that the comics of yesteryear were much less politically correct than they are today.
- The World in the Satin Bag lists Science Fiction’s Top 5 Leading Ladies.