Well, we’re a little over a week away from the September 21st release of the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD. We’re all buying it, so I thought it might be a good idea to collect best prices and freebies from the release. If you’re not sure about buying it (or are in denial about being a fanboy or are innanely protesting the change from the original theatrical release), watch the DVD teaser trailer – if that doesn’t get you stoked, nothing will.
There are two things to consider when buying the DVD: The price and the freebies.
Many will only be looking at the price tag.
- Price comparison sites DVD Price Search and MySimon show the cheapest at Deep Discount DVD ($41.88 delivered), although for the extra 11 cents, most will want to go with Amazon ($41.99 delivered).
- WalMart online lists the DVDs at $44.88 delivered, though historically your local WalMart beats the online price. As a reference, one of our 4 local WalMarts was selling the Indiana Jones Trilogy DVDs for $35, about $10 cheaper than the other 3 WalMarts. The local WalMarts often typically offer freebies (See below).
- Keep in mind that the big chains (at least WalMart and Target) will typically mark down a DVD’s price the first week of its release – typically $14.50 to $16 for most new single DVDs.
- Don’t forget to troll your Sunday (Sep 19th) papers. When Episode I was released, the local Toys R Us was selling them for $10!
- Any others? Bueller? Bueller?
The latest trend to lure buyers of big-name DVDs is to offer freebies with purchase. When I bought Monsters, Inc. at the local WalMart, for example, it came shrink-wrapped with a Monsters Pinball PC game. Some store (I do not recall which one) was packaging key chains with the Back to the Future trilogy. Here are the very few freebies I know of for the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs.
- Best Buy has is giving away a Star Wars mockumentary DVD, R2-D2: Beneath the Dome, free with each purchase (offer good for online orders only – at $45 + shipping).
- A few Best Buy stores will also opening be open at midnight to launch the sale of the DVD and the Star Wars: Battlefront game. There will be giveaways of the DVDs and games.
If you know of any other deals, particularly freebies, let us know!