Well, ten potential ways anyway. The Guardians What a way to go covers several potential threats to Earth, and then attempts ascertain the likelyhood of them happening, much like the How to Destroy the Earth website, only not as funny. Personally, I’ve always had a soft spot for #10, whereby a wandering black hole swallows the Earth without so much as a burp. For a more rational response to the article, see here.
Then I thought it would be fun to list SF stories that could fit into each catergory!
1. Climate Change – State of Fear (Crichton), Forty Signs of Rain (Robinson)
2. Telomere Erosion – I got nothing here. Anyone?
3. Viral Pandemic – The Stand (King), Earth Abides (Stewart), I know there are many more.
4. Terrorism – This is a tough one. Are there any SF books that have terrorism deal a large blow to Earth or it’s society?
5. Nuclear War – A Canticle for Leibowiz (Miller, Jr.), probably tons more.
6. Meteorite Impact – Lucifer’s Hammer (Niven, Pournelle), Moonfall (MCDevitt)
7. Robots Taking Over – ??
8. Cosmic Ray Blast – ??
9. Super Volcanos – ??
10 Earth Swallowing Black Hole – Forge of God (Bear), Singularity (DeSmedt).