Heroes Spinoff: Origins

NBC has announced their new Fall schedule and it looks like Heroes, their only hit this season, will spawn a spinoff next season. It’s called Heroes: Origins and introduce a new character each week. Viewers will select which one stays for the following season.

Between the two series, there will be a total of 30 new episodes combined. Remember when that was the number of episodes in a single season of one show?

About John DeNardo (13013 Articles)
John DeNardo is the Managing Editor at SF Signal and a columnist at Kirkus Reviews. He also likes bagels. So there.

13 Comments on Heroes Spinoff: Origins

1. I’m a big Heroes fan these days (especially after that Five Years Later episode….whoa….) but Heroes: Origins? I mean, that doesn’t stir any fanboy appeal in me at all.

It stirs slightly more than “Bionic Woman” does. Double Urk.

2. So wait, fans will choose someone from Heroes:origins and that character will move to the regular heroes show? I don’t get it.

3. My wife agrees: It sounds Very Silly. I’m fairly peaceful about it, because if you think of Heroes in terms of comic books, this is just one of the dorky spin-offs that occurs, so I’m not worried. Which doesn’t necessarily make me keen on the idea either…

4. Mark R. Whitten // May 15, 2007 at 11:27 pm //

I’m a little worried. Heroes was a unexpected success. And we all know what happens when movie-makers try to duplicate an unexpected success.:( (I already know that Heroes isn’t technichally a “movie”, so don’t bother pointing it out!)

5. Billiam // May 16, 2007 at 7:28 am //

i think it’s an interesting idea, it’ll show an insight into the world outside those main characters, though the “choose who moves into the show” part isn’t filling me with confidence, sounds like a weird reality show, but it could work out well

6. I think it is a great idea. Better than nothing at all right??? I hate the summers because all my good shows end and I have to wait until the fall to watch them again. At least this will somewhat satisfy my Heroes cravings.

7. Damphere // May 16, 2007 at 9:16 am //

Well, I like Heroes and this does seem like the first time a television show has given such a large amount of control to the viewing public. Say you vote in your favorite “new” hero – I think that would make you more likely to watch and see what happens to that character – it gives the viewer that sense of a say in what is happening in the larger world. If only for a moment there is that illusion of control.

I think it’ll be a huge success (look at those reality shows – American Idol especially – viewer votes, yep that’s the new “it” thing)

Damphere

8. Clinton // May 16, 2007 at 2:11 pm //

I think it is a good idea. The thought that I could possibly get to choose a hero who could enter the series is exciting. I like Heroes as a series but the characters are what grabbed my attention. GOOD LUCK ENTERTAINERS!:D

9. The Don // May 16, 2007 at 2:25 pm //

This spin-off is a great idea. I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I am ecstatic to have an extra hour of Heroes like action to look forward to. This whole viewer participation idea is new to non-reality TV, but they might be on to something.

10. I have to say, it’s a bold move. I can think of a handful of shows where I truly wish I could have voted someone off because I didn’t like their character development or plotline. This will give viewers a chance to really throw their opinions out there.

11. rnoctus // May 21, 2007 at 10:41 am //

I think it’s a great idea… keep the Heroes coming…

12. I love Heroes. Great show. Heroes: Origins?! Sounds like NBC wants to shoot themselves in the foot again.

13. Well, theres a good and bad to everything. Good: New characters, 6 to be exact. Bad: If new characters now, old characters die.