I watched the premiere Torchwood episode (“Everything Changes”) on BBC America. Torchwood is the Doctor Who spin-off that features the character of Captain Jack Harkness.
The Short Version: Loved it! Those of you in the U.K. or elsewhere who have seen the subsequent shows, please tell me it stays this good!
The Long Version:
- I wasn’t sure what to expect. About all I had heard was that, unlike Doctor Who, this one was aimed at mature audiences. They got that part right: some of the scenes were a bit graphic and the language was not something I’d want my daughter hear. Any more than from her old man, anyway.
- I love the premise: super-secret organization that answers to no one defends the Earth from impending alien invasion.
- The creators made a good decision to make the premise separate from Doctor Who‘s story lines. It means you don’t have to be a Doctor Who fan to like this show. Hopefully this added accessibility will translate to longevity. If the quality stays high, that is.
- Nice touch: the idea of multiple Torchwoods. A rip-off of Stargate: SG-1 but still cool, especially the “We’re still looking for Torchwood 4” part.
- The opening sequence – which featured a resurrection glove – was something I’ve seen before, but I can’t recall where. Can anyone help? Was it previewed on an episode of Doctor Who or the SciFi Channel?
- The episode had just the right amount of hand-holding; Gwen Cooper’s story served as a perfect introduction to the series. They don’t dumb it down, but they don’t leave you in the dark either. (I’m looking you, X-Files.)
- I remember Captain Jack from Doctor Who, of course. But I must admit that I did not care for the character much. He seemed to intrude on the Doctor/Rose relationship. But I do like him better in Torchwood. The other characters, what little I saw of them, seemed pretty decent as well.
- How about those Weevils? Aliens living in the sewers? Sweet!
- And all those cool alien gadgets. More, please.
Bottom Line: I’m digging this show and will definitely be tuning in. You should, too!
Side note: During Torchwood, BBC aired a commercial for The Graham Norton Show, with guest David Tennant. I watched it and found it to be freakin’ hilarious. The fake TARDIS bit…the Doctor Who personal ad…this is another show I’ll be watching.