The Most Eagerly Awaited and Long Overdue SF/F Books

Texas Best Grok has posted a comprehensive list of long overdue science fiction books. Here, “long overdue” means it was promised and/or announced a really long time ago, but has yet to see publication.

Here’s the abbreviated list, minus the ones that have seen publication since originally posted in 2005. Do check out the original post for the latest updated information and details.

• The Star Conquerors by Ben Bova
  • Unamed Novel by E.E. “Doc” Smith
  • Irontown Blues by John Varley
  • Heaven Chronicles by Joan Vinge
  • Sector General omnibus (title uknown) by James White
  • Seed Ship by Jack Williamson
  • The Stellar Convergence by Jack Williamson
About John DeNardo (13013 Articles)
John DeNardo is the Managing Editor at SF Signal and a columnist at Kirkus Reviews. He also likes bagels. So there.

20 Comments on The Most Eagerly Awaited and Long Overdue SF/F Books

1. Not to pile on Harlan, but what about adding The Last Dangerous Visions to that list?

Also, I believe the last volume of The Childe Cycle by Dickson was published last year–called Antagonist, and completed after Dickson’s death.

2. Is it fair of them to list books by authors like Williamson, who are now deceased? Unless they have evidence that a publisher is sitting on a finished manuscript, that seems like a cheap shot to me.

3. Lee Pfahler // November 13, 2007 at 8:23 am //

Here is another title that could be added to this list. Fragments by Michael Kube-McDowell the sequel to his 2002 novel titled Vectors. At the end of Vectors is a very brief excerpt from Fragments that states it will be published in 2003 and Locus stated this as well. Alas, it has never been published and no mention of it has been made on his website. However, more than a year ago Michael responded to my inquiry and he said that the book’s existence with the publisher was in limbo. I have not heard anything more since then and still nothing is listed on his website. Does anyone else have a more recent update to this?

4. I’d really like to see David Gerrold’s Chtorr series come to an end before I do (and that’s speeding up each day). The first volume came out nearly 25 years ago.

5. I understand that Purgatorio is going to be named Inferno II instead and according to Pournelle’s blog, will be finished Real Soon Now.

I just hope they tone down the politics. I liked The Burning City just fine until the book inexplicably went onto a rant about the IRS.

6. In reading the Childe books by Dickson and looking at Antagonist, I think that Antagonist is a “bridge” book that might lead to the final book. It sure the heck doesn’t resolve the cycle.

7. “Is it fair of them to list books by authors like Williamson, who are now deceased? Unless they have evidence that a publisher is sitting on a finished manuscript, that seems like a cheap shot to me.”

Believe me, no cheap shot was intended. I’ve been a life-long fan of Jack Williamson, have several books autographed by him, posted a long tribute (several) at my old website when he passed, have bought everything that Haffner Press has come out with, etc.

The posting was an attempt to find out what happened to various titles. If you read the original posting you’ll see that Stephen Haffner, the Big Poohbah of Haffner Press (his title, not mine) helped me in tracking down the status of the titles.

No disrespect was meant towards Williamson. Or Heinlein. Or Dickson. Or anybody else for that matter!

8. Fred, the main reason I was concerned about the Williamson listing is that regarding one of his books, it reads, “Announced in Locus, but given Jack Williamson’s age and health, I don’t know if we’ll ever see it.” If this post was updated for 2007, maybe a note ought to be added there as well. Right now, it reads as if the poster is unaware that Williamson is deceased — and, as you just pointed out, that’s clearly not the case.

9. joshua corning // November 13, 2007 at 1:27 pm //

# Demon With a Glass Hand by Harlan Ellison

# Blood and Vic by Harlan Ellison

But he has time to grab boobs at award ceremonies. Sheesh.

10. Could we ad the conclusion to the “Wheel” books by Robert Jordan to the list?

One also wonders if the delays are due to the publishers rather than the authors.

11. Per C.J. Cherryh’s website,she has just sent Cyteen II to her publisher.

12. “Per C.J. Cherryh’s website,she has just sent Cyteen II to her publisher.”

Please take a look at the original posting…you’ll see that I talk about that in my 2007 updates to my original posting.

“Could we ad the conclusion to the “Wheel” books by Robert Jordan to the list?”

I didn’t really cover fantasy (otherwise I would have mentioned George R. R. Martin!). I just don’t read nearly the amount of fantasy as I do SF and non-fiction. From what I recall reading after Jordan’s death, it seemed like most of the final book in his mega-epic is finished, and there are enough notes, recorded conversations, and the “group memory” of his wife and assistant (assistants?) to finish it.

Now, that Martin fella…I’m not sure when we’ll see the end of that shaggy dog story!

13. The funny thing about my posting when I had done it in 2005: It derived from a list that I had been keeping since the early 1980’s, when I saw a note in “Space Viking” that Pournelle was working on a sequel.

Earlier versions of the list included one “Castle of the Otter”, which is how “The Citadel of the Autarch” (fourth book in Wolfe’s “New Sun” tetralogy) was reported by Locus at one point.

Wolfe eventually came out with a book with that title. As well as the real book. That’s probably the only time an item on the list was checked off…twice!

😛

14. “The splendor and misery of bodies, of cities”

Samuel R. Delany

15. If I remember correctly, every one of James White’s “Sector General” books except the very last one already has been collected into an omnibus, so I don’t see how that could possibly be a missing book.

And “Doc” Smith is highly unlikely to be beginning any untitled projects at this point in his death.

16. According to Amazon and Wikipedia, there are three SG omnibus editions:

Beginning Operations (published in 2001, contains Hospital Station, Star Surgeon, Major Operation)

Alien Emergencies (published in 2002, Ambulance Ship, Sector General, Star Healer)

General Practice (published in 2003, contains Code Blue: Emergency and The Genocidal Healer)

…and the following standalones, not in any omnibus:

Double Contact

Mind Changer

Galactic Gourmet

Final Diagnosis

So depending on how generous they are, they could do one or two more omnibus editions. Of course, the reason for a lack of omnibus might be that these last four are still in print (AFAIK). So maybe they are waiting for stock to be exhausted.

As for “Doc” Smith…if Heinlein can “write” two books after his death, why not one from the “Doc”! All we need to do is to find a Lens and contact his essence…

😉

17. Paolo Bertiglia // April 8, 2008 at 8:07 am //

The fourth book of Alexei Panshin’s Anthony Villers series: ‘THE UNIVERSAL PANTOGRAPH’

• Randy Mohr // August 8, 2013 at 11:02 am //

Yes Yes! The Universal Pantograph is long long overdue! I just finished reading the first three (for the umpteenth time in 30 years) and each time I sigh wistfully at the teaser at the end of Masque World, “The Universal Pantograph …To follow soon.”

18. DMcCunney // April 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm //

Late to this party, but as it happens, The Star Conquerors did get an electronic release.  A PDF version was available for a bit from Ben’s website, and then taken down.  I dropped a note to Ben about it, and he passed my note to his webmaster who never responded, so I have no idea what’s Ben’s feelings about the PDF are now.

Poking around in the Waybak Machine should yield an archive where interested parties can still get a copy of the PDF.  I ripped it to HTML and converted to a couple of other formats for easier reading on handhelds, and it was a straight forward process.

______

Dennis

19. Gregg Eshelman // October 22, 2012 at 4:20 am //

I might still have the letter (yes, an actual letter on paper) that I mailed to Larry Niven in the pre-WWW era asking when The Ghost Ships would be finished.

He replied that he would be finishing it.

Forward FIFTEEN YEARS…

I e-mailed Mr. Niven about The Ghost Ships and he replied that he wouldn’t be finishing it because he couldn’t write military fiction because he’d never been in the military and that he’d said all he wanted to in that world in the two books.

Really? WTH does he think all the fighting was in other two books? He’s also dabbled a toe in organized government funded violence in some of his other books. I bet a collaboration with David Weber would finish it up real nicely. Nevermind that the majority of Weber’s work is military fiction and he was never paid by Uncle Sam for the possibility of having to shoot other people.