Yoon Ha Lee wasn’t able to join us for the Mind Meld on Wednesday, but has still dropped in to help us answer the question:
Q: What recommendations would you give this Golden Age SF reader to introduce them to what more modern sf/f literature has to offer?
Here’s Yoon Ha Lee’s response…
Novels and Series:
- Greg Bear. Queen of Angels.
- C.J. Cherryh. Cyteen.
- Barry Hughart. Bridge of Birds.
- Kij Johnson. Fudoki.
- Guy Gavriel Kay. Tigana.
- K.J. Parker. Scavenger trilogy: Shadow, Pattern, Memory.
- Sean Stewart. Galveston.
- Michael Swanwick. The Iron Dragon’s Daughter.
YA science fantasy:
- Nancy Farmer. The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm.
- Eleanor Arnason. “The Potter of Bones.”
- Ted Chiang. “The Story of Your Life.”
- Tony Daniel. “A Dry, Quiet War.”
- Nancy Kress. “Shiva in Shadow.”
- Jack Cady. “The Night We Buried Road Dog.”
- Helen Keeble. “In Stone” and “In Ashes.”
- David Moles. “Five Irrational Histories.”
- CLAMP. Clover vols. 1-4 (complete).
- Setona Mizushiro. After School Nightmare vols. 1-9 (complete).