1945A: You Got SciFi in My Alternate History!

Writer/Director Ryan Nagata has created an excellent short alternate history film called 1945A, in which the Nazis reveal a slew of new offensive weapons. As one commenter described this film, it’s “Saving Private Ryan meets Sky Captain.

Watch and see…

And yes, Kevin Smith, that is a giant f****n’ spider.

About John DeNardo (13012 Articles)
John DeNardo is the Managing Editor at SF Signal and a columnist at Kirkus Reviews. He also likes bagels. So there.

11 Comments on 1945A: You Got SciFi in My Alternate History!

1. That was AWESOME! Although…well, the Allied troops weren’t too smart, concentrating all that firepower on the body of the Nazi Spiderpanzer when just taking out one of its legs would’ve put it facedown in the dirt….

2. Harris Yulin's Goatee // January 24, 2010 at 11:13 am //

Why are the white guys wearing Buffalo Soldiers insignia? Did the Nazis attack the Officer’s Club?

Also, this whole steam/diesel punk thing needs to stop. It was tired in 1999.

3. Steam genre was cool in 99 and it’s still awesome now. Suck it.

4. Ryan Nagata // January 26, 2010 at 9:12 pm //

It’s NOT a Buffalo Soldiers insignia.  It’s a custom-made division patch of a California bear on a yellow background.  The 92nd Infantry is a buffalo on a green background.  This being an “alternate history” piece, we wanted to create a fictional infantry division.  So we made up the 19th Infantry Division (which did not exist in WWII), and we are assuming they are a California-based unit.  It’s similar to and inspired by the 92nd patch, but even the 92nd is not the only unit to use that motif.  The 81st “Hellcats” had a very similar patch with a silhouette of a cat.  So did the 104th timberwolves.

5. Juiceweez // January 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm //

I thought this was great. I was in as soon as someone said…”Nazi SpiderPanzer”.

Really, this is neat stuff. I’d like to see more along these lines.

6. Sculley Deakins // January 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm //

This is 110% Cool! This is a movie I’d love to see in the theater. You guys are on to a great thing here & I can’t wait to see more.

7. This looks like a guy who is good at special effects, hiring his friends to do the acting work.I don’t get doing all that technical work, then hiring bad actors. It just undermines your work. There’s probably a lot of competent actors who would love to participate in something like this. Quit hiring your friends, get professional, and get people who can do the job. You’re just undermining yourself.

8. Ryan Nagata // January 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm //

Whether it’s good acting or not is a matter of taste which I don’t care to argue.  But one of my actors, Dave Clennon, won an Emmy and he’s been acting for 30 years.  Another one, Chris Tallman, has a resume that speaks for itself.  About a third of these guys are working actors.  The rest are friends, but who gives a shit.

9. filmfanatic1138 // February 2, 2010 at 10:56 pm //

So awesome. I want the rest of the story. and the franchise. And the toys and the video games and the cereal.

10. Jack Random // February 5, 2010 at 12:12 am //

Oh hell Nagata, don’t let these guys suck you into a flame war on your own thread. Ignore ’em dude. Great flick.

11. F. Jacobs // November 4, 2010 at 6:59 pm //