Quick Meme: What Books Are You Reading Right Now?

If social media conversations are to be believed, I think many of the folks that read SF Signal are voracious readers. And with such a large appetite for reading comes the inevitable stack of books yet to be read. I always find myself envious of others who are reading books that are still on my to-be-read pile. That should be me! So many books and so little time…

At the risk of exploding in a burst of envy at hearing the answers, I’d love to know what folks out there are reading right now.

So tell me: What Books Are You Reading Right Now?

Me? Having just finished The Year’s Best Science Fiction #28 edited by Gardner Dozois — I like to mix short fiction reading between novel reading — I’m currently reading Boneyards by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. It’s the third book in a series that I am so far enjoying very much.

How about you?

About John DeNardo (13014 Articles)
John DeNardo is the Managing Editor at SF Signal and a columnist at Kirkus Reviews. He also likes bagels. So there.

64 Comments on Quick Meme: What Books Are You Reading Right Now?

1. Having enjoyed Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files books so much, I’ve finally plunged into his fantasy, Furies of Calderon. So far, it’s great! Next on the list are Naomi Novik’s new one and the new Honor Harrington novel from David Weber.

2. Jonathan Strahan // March 8, 2012 at 1:56 am //

Pavane by Keith Roberts

3. Rudi Dewilde // March 8, 2012 at 2:36 am //

Hmmm… Let me see.

– Reamde – Neal Stephenson
    – rereading Wheel of time series (first book)
    – rereading The Sword of truth series (fourth book)
    – The Chew graphic novels
    – The Unwritten Graphic novels
    – Broken Kingdoms – Jemesin

4. Shaun Parry // March 8, 2012 at 2:51 am //

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

5. Jasper Fforde – The Eyre Affair (bedside)

Margo Lanagan – Black Juice (in my work bag for my tram commute)

• Ooh! I recently picked that one up at a used book store. It looked so inviting!

And Black Juice: also on my TBR pile. I bought that one on the strength of “Singing My Sister Down” alone. Excellent story.

6. OPERATION PHANTOM FURY: The Assault and Capture of Fallujah, Iraq.Dick Camp
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void. Mary Roach
    Best Served Cold. Joe Abercrombie
    The Vampire Genevieve. Jack Yeovil

7. Started an ARC of Elizabeth Bear’s Range of Ghosts this morning.

8. I’m currently reading The Painted Man by Peter V Brett (at long last). Next up, I’m not sure. Mount Toberead is somewhat daunting.

9. Maria Stahl // March 8, 2012 at 6:28 am //

Not reading for pleasure much at the moment – too much required reading for grad school – but I did win a couple of books in the Worldbuilders raffle and they are waiting for me in the living room: China Mieville’s Embassytown and Patrick Ness’s a Monster Calls.

Also got Germline in Kindle format after reading about it here.

10. WhiteWolf // March 8, 2012 at 7:03 am //

Finally I’ve gotten around to reading THE DIAMOND AGE by Neal Stephenson. It is every bit as great in all the same ways as SNOW CRASH and CRYPTONOMICON, and yet all three are as equally different from each other. Neal Stephenson is a unique and unfiltered talent.

11. The Rook -Daniel O’Malley

Just started it – so far, so good!

12. Orphans of Chaos by John C. Wright
    The Unwritten Vol. 2 by Mike Carey
    Strange Travelers by Gene Wolfe

13. A Cruel Wind, an omnibus of Glen Cook’s first three Dread Empire books. He finally (after 25 years, give or take) wrote the last volume in the series, so I thought it was time to revisit.

14. Going back and forth among DOC by Mary Doria Russell, a historical novel about Doc Holliday, Wyatt Earp, and such by the author of SPARROW (just started it, but very good so far); COLLECTED GHOST STORIES by M. R. James (creepy and very well written, yes, but all are similar, so maybe not a good library book); GUARDS! GUARDS!, my second Terry P, following MORT (both are as great as everyone says); and THE VERY BEST OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION, a nice collection of short stories from that digest.

15. I realize after I started replying individually that there are way too many books listed already that pique my interest. Hello, envy! 🙂

16. Steve Oerkfitz // March 8, 2012 at 9:36 am //

Just finished The Affirmation by Chridtopher Priest. Am now reading both The Door Gunner by Michael Bishop The Drowning Girl by Caitlin Kiernan.

17. Jeff Patterson // March 8, 2012 at 9:49 am //

Reading Count to a Trillion by Wright
    Listening to Blue Remembered Earth by Reynolds

18. Sleight of Hand by Peter S. Beagle (paper)

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (Kindle)

19. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Given its thickness this promises to be my answer for quite some time.

• Kendall Varnell // March 8, 2012 at 11:01 am //

I loved that book! I’m looking forward to the next one. There were parts that tested my patience but when I finished I wanted to reread it right then.

20. Currently on the to-read list:

Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier, by Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam, by John A. Nagl
    Spacesuit: Fashioning Apollo, by Nicholas de Monchaux
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
    2312, Kim Stanley Robinson

Weirdly, this is the exception: I usually have more than one science fiction title on the list.

21. “Doubletake” by Rob Thurman
    “Wide Open” by Deborah Coates
    “Mind Storm” by K.M. Ruiz

22. Kendall Varnell // March 8, 2012 at 11:06 am //

I am currently reading Vernor Vinge’s A Fire Upon the Deep. I got it because he is going to be at Contraflow, a convention in New Orleans, and I’m planning to be there and a friend said you have to read this book of his. He also has just done a sequel.

23. Joerg Grau // March 8, 2012 at 11:55 am //

Trying to keep up with the “Lies of Locke Lamora” read along…

Besides that, next up are “Diving into the wreck” K.K.Rusch, “Ready Player One” Ernest Cline, “Germline” T.C. McCarthy, “Ghost Country” Patrick Lee, and “Heretics” S.Andrew Swann…

So many books so little time.

Stupid Job…

24. Neuromancer by Gibson…I know I know, I think I`m the last SF fan to read it.
    Also “Information: A history, a theory, a flood” which is simply awesome…I`m reading a chapter a day because it gives you a lot of food for thought. Really changes the way you look at the world.

25. Michael // March 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm //

Right now I’m reading Seanan McGuire’s Sparrow Hill Road stories which were published in 2010 on the website, The Edge of Propinquity. I’ll follows this immediately with her newly released (this week) novel, “Discount Armageddon.” Paul Elliot’s “The Last Legionary: Life as a Roman Soldier in Britain AD400” has been patiently sitting in my briefcase waiting for me to get back to it. I’m also partway through the Black Library’s collection of short stories celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, “25 For 25.” And I’m trying to get back to an e-published steampunk novella set in the Yukon by Lindsay Buroker titled “Flash Gold.”

• Rowanmdm // March 8, 2012 at 3:13 pm //

I read Discount Armegeddon last week and enjoyed it. The Aelsin mice are awesome 🙂

26. Bill from PA // March 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm //

Lost Continents by L. Sprague de Camp – A non-fiction look at the Atlantis legend.

27. Rowanmdm // March 8, 2012 at 3:12 pm //

Just finished Fair Game by Patricia Briggs. I get to pick up Gail Carringer’s last two book from the local indie store after work and the library just emailed to say the copy of McGuire’s Rosemary and Rue is waiting for me. In between all of these I’m rereading the Anne of Green Gables series (finished Anne of the Island last night).

28. I normally try to only do one fiction book at a time, but as I’m reviewing an audio book (which means finding time to just listen) I have two on the go, The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott and Colette Freedman and Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers.

I’ve also started reading the short stories in The Best of John W. Campbell, edited by Lester DelRey that I got used for the unbeatable price of $1 (in hardcover no less).

Finally, since 3 books apparently isn’t enough, I’ve also started on the non-fiction The Undead: Organ Harvesting, the Ice-Water Test, Beating-Heart Cadavers – How Medicine is Blurring the Line Between Life and Death by Dick Teresi.

Then I look at my TBR pile and wonder if I should start another one, just so I can get through the pile faster…

29. Catching Fire (Hunger Games Book 2)

30. It’s not a SF or F book, but I’m reading Charlie Huston’s Caught Stealing. It’s awesome. Maybe his Joe Pitt vampire series will buy him a little cred here, because Caught Stealing is worth picking up.

• Thanks, Jarrett. I loved the Joe Pitt vampire series. (And yes, I bought Caught Stealing years ago because it interested me back then.)

31. Ryan Viergutz // March 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm //

I finished Mike Carey’s The Naming of the Beasts and cannot overextol this guy’s sheer power in this series. He goes up against an excommunicated guerrilla army led by a Catholic priest (oh yeah), a psychotic scientist who wants to lead the war against the ghosts and dominate them, and the demon who possessed his best friend a whole ton of books ago. The clincher? He can’t banish the demon without killing his friend. Merciless, amazing and intense.

I started Alastair Reynolds’s ‘Absolution Gap‘ which is bloody time because I need some hardcore crunchy epic scifi in my bloodstream now.

I’m reading Jack McDevitt’s ‘The Devil’s Eye‘ sporadically because see above. While his stuff isn’t as epic as Reynolds, he’s still really cool and I need more of Alex Benedict and Chase Kolpath. I would love to see some hot snarky mysterious actress play Chase someday. Rrr.

All of the stories in ‘Robots: The Recent AI‘ look fascinating to me, though I’ve read about a fourth to a fifth of them. Any anthology that includes Genevieve Valentine’s incredible and freaky ‘The Nearest Thing’ got to know what it’s talking about.

I think I’ll take a pause on Daniel Abraham’s ‘The Dragon’s Path‘. I’m not in the mood for fantasy and need more scifi scifi.

32. Acacia Book 1 by David Anthony Durham

Just finished Fallen Dragon by Peter F Hamilton

33. Michelle K // March 8, 2012 at 5:39 pm //

The Flame Alphabet

34. The Broken Kingdoms, by N. K. Jemisin. Now that Hugo reading is over (until the nominees are announced!), I’m trying to read all this year’s Nebula nominees. The Broken Kingdoms is up before I tackle the actual nominee, its sequel, The Kingdom of Gods.

These aren’t the sort of book I usually go for, but I loved the first in the series (The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms) when I read it last year.

35. I just finished Robert Harris’ The Fear Index. Not strictly sci-fi, though it certainly stretches the definition of “cutting edge” tech. Pretty tight book, too.

36. Debt: The First 5000 Years by David Graeber
    I Married a Dead Man by Cornell Woolrich

37. ohthatashley // March 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm //

Just started Of Blood and Honey by Stina Lecht —

& I loved The Eyre Affair so much I taught it in a novels and short stories class. Heh.

Also, The Lies of Locke Lamora…again.

38. pmreichold // March 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm //

Barrington J Bayley’s Collision COurse

39. Urstoff // March 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm //

Forests of the Night (no, I’m not sucking up to John). And the newest volume of Strahan’s best of the year just came in the mail, so there’s that.

• Heh. I didn’t get the reference at first. You are, of course, referring to one of S. Andrew Swann’s early Moreau books. Congratulations: you have my envy. 🙂 Let me know how it is!

• Joerg Grau // March 12, 2012 at 7:23 am //

The four early Moreau books are outstanding. I love how they have completely different protagonists (well except one and four) and yet fit together extremely well! Love those books!

40. liontime // March 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm //

Finishing the last of A Science Fiction Argosy edited by Damon Knight, which means I’m reading More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon. Also reading Baha’u’llah and The New Era by Esslemont.

41. Re-reading AN INSTANCE OF THE FINGERPOST by Iain Pears. I enjoyed it a lot more the first time round, I seem to remember. The fourth narrative is the best, but I’m finding the third one bogs down. Maybe mysteries are not ideal for re-reading, when you know whodunnit etc?
    Also borrowed a very old paperback of BRIDESHEAD REVISITED by Evelyn Waugh. Blush blush, never actually read it. But £7 for the ebook? I don’t think so.

Based on recommendations here, I think I’m going to read a Neal Stephenson next. CRYPTONOMICON was immense!

42. Cold Cereal by Adam Rex. It’s a Middle Grade fiction novel about three quirky kids and a sinister plot by a magical cereal company. The premise is fun, and the writing is brilliantly clever.

43. “The Prince of Soul And The Lighthouse” by Fredrik Brouneas
    “Blue Remembered Earth” by Alastair Reynolds

TBR “City of Dragons” by Robin Hobb

44. I’m focused entirely on short fiction for the duration. At the moment, I’m closing the gaps on any of the Nebula-nominated short fiction that I didn’t read when it originally appeared. Right now that means David W. Goldman’s “Axiom of Choice.”

45. Finishing HABITATION OF THE BLESSED by Catherynne Valente
    Starting THE DROWNING GIRL: A Memoir, by Caitlin R. Kiernan

46. MD Lachlan’s 2nd werewolf &Viking novel “Fenrir”.

47. Stephen Burridge // March 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm //

Reading the Nebula nominees. Finished “Embassytown” (terrific) and started “Mechanique” (liking it so far, quite impressive.) I won’t be reading the Jemisin novel, as I enjoyed the first one but have no interest in reading more. I also just read “The Business of Science Fiction” by Resnick and Malzberg.

48. I’m reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz
    and I recently finished Solaris by Stanislaw Lem.

49. Gary Harper // April 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm //

Currently reading Hope’s landfall by M J Murcott it is a lone explorer novel on a new planet looking for a place where the people of Mars can settle with plenty of new things on the planet that the explorer was not expecting.

Prior to that complted David Gemmell’s Hero in the shadows which is tied in to some of his other books following the exploits of a lone assassin in a world of magic and spirits