Interviews & Profiles
- Erin M. Evans discusses her signature character Farideh from the multi-author Sundering series
- Ginger Nuts of Horror interviews short story author Phil Voyd.
- Matt Smith on quitting Doctor Who: “My mother is mortified”.
- Penguin Books’ weekly podcast features Diana Rowland, author of the Demon series and the White Trash Zombie series. In a separate video, she discusses Fury of the Demon.
- Abercrombie finishes his YA; release date announced.
Events & Event News
- The pay-what-you-want e-book site Fiction Bundle has gone live with its “Chapter 1” bundle.
- Enter for a Chance to Win a Nook and the entire 2013 ChiZine ebook catalogue!
- 10 books every gamer needs to read
- The 10 Misfits Episodes to Catch Before the Series Finale
- The 100 greatest novels of all time: The list, according to The Guardian.
- Alex Dally MacFarlane, editor of the Aliens: Recent Encounters anthology, offers 10 Books That Influenced Me, a list of books that have influenced her.
- Amazing Stories asks Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?
- Angry Nerd: Will The Hobbit Get Smaug Right?
- Angry Robot’s Senior Editor, Lee Harris, chooses the best media of the year
- The AudioBookaneers names its audiobook picks of the week, including Ellen Datlow’s Tails of Wonder and Imagination, Scott Sigler’s Nocturnal, Faith Hunter’s Cat ‘O Nine Tales, Dean Koontz’s Innocence, How to Train Your Dragon, and more
- Bookworm Blues names its choices for Best Publishers of 2013
- Can Science Fiction Survive in Saudi Arabia?
- Confessions of an eBook Fanatic is a response to “I Don’t Care If You Dogear My Pages“
- Could Barnes & Noble’s Struggles Strengthen Indie Bookshops?
- eBook Prices Still a Sensitive Issue for Authors, Publishers
- Goodreads announces Best Books of 2013
- Guest Blog by Mark H. Williams – John Masefield and The Box Of Delights
- The Hardest Part: Nick Mamatas on Love is the Law
- Harry Dresden Returns in Butcher’s New Original Story
- A Hundred Science Fiction Films Someone Dared to Call ‘Classics’
- Haunted Holidays: Charles Dickens & Co. takes a look at winter ghost stories.
- Indies Are Getting Clobbered by Big Name eBook Discounts – But Not For The Reason You Think
- Is Envi-Fi the Newest Science Fiction Subgenre?
- NSA forces novelist to can his book: Charles Stross has cancelled the last installment in a trilogy about high-tech government spying after discovering that the NSA has been doing exactly what he described in his books. It turns out books don’t sell as well when it’s the art imitating life, rather than the other way around.
- Six Awesome Gifts for Book Lovers, chosen by Apex Publications
- Susan Cooper: libraries are the frontline in the war for the imagination: In a speech given to the Youth Libraries Group, The Dark Is Rising author recalls the events that fired her creative instincts as a child, and the importance of books and libraries in building a rich inner life for children.
- Telereads shares The Secret to eReading on the Cheap.
- There’s More Lovecraft for Kids on the way, according to Publisher’s Weekly.
- Trust Me (I’m a kettle), says Charlie Stross.
- Why you should see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug … though I can’t for the life of me imagine who need this explained to them.
Science and Technology
- ‘Doctor Who’ fans petition to rename new planet ‘Gallifrey’
- From science fiction to science fact: SETI scientist finds proof of unlikely planets orbiting two suns
- Robots So Realistic They Can Deny They’re Bots
- Your Favorite Cult Flicks Get New Life With Gorgeous Poster Redesigns
More Fun Stuff
- Call of Duty Meets Groundhog Day in Epic Edge of Tomorrow Teaser
- Good Reads has a bonus excerpt from Emily Croy Barker’s The Thinking Woman’s Guide to Real Magic
- HBO’s Launches First Ever Internet Roast for Game of Thrones’ King Joffrey
- Here’s a photo of a newsstand, circa 1942. Back then, there were a lot of comics on offer.
- It took 50 years, but there are now enough incarnations of the Doctor to play the Hunger Games.
- Martha Wells is offering a First Chapter Teaser of Emilie and the Sky World
- Read an excerpt of The Rule of Three by Eric Walters.
- Terry Pratchett tweeted a photo of himself talking with Neil Gaiman.
- Trexels, an 8-bit pixelated Star Trek game hit iTunes this week. CNet has a preview.
- Watch the trailer for the 2013 Doctor Who Christmas Special