Interviews & Profiles
- The Book Smugglers interviews Alisa Krasnostein and Julia Rios, editors of Kaleidoscope.
- Hitfix talks to Jada Pinkett Smith of Gotham about her Buffy obsession.
- Mark Lawrence interviews T.O Munro, author of Lady in the Helm.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Nick Harkaway, author of Tigerman.
- Nicky Peacock interviews Aimee Roseland, author of Fangirl_15.
- Qwillery interviews J.C. Nelson, author of Free Agent.
- Scientific American interviews Jon Spaihts, screenwriter of Passengers.
- The Sunday Times interviews Peter Capaldi, star of Doctor Who.
- Wired interviews Mike Buonaiuto, director of the LGBT sci-fi movie Credence.
- RIP public radio journalist and author Margot Adler, 1946 to 2014
- An alien invasion is coming as Syfy develops new sci-fi thriller Absolute Zero
- BBC’s Terrifying The Boy from Space Finally Coming To DVD
- Beloved sci-fi series Dragonriders of Pern may finally hit the big screen. Cannot possible be as bad-ass as my thirteen year old self imagined it.
- Going Out with a (Big) Bang: Final ATV Cargo Ship Space Station-Bound
- Lev Grossman’s The Magicians is Headed To SyFy, a channel well known for its expert handling of similar such subtle novels. Clearly, fans can rest easy.
Events & Event News
- The Hershey Comic Con will be held at the Hershey Lodge in Pennsylvania on November 9th.
- Project Epsilon – In an online world, users will have to put aside their differences to fight a vicious new foe — with real-world repercussions.
- Robotech Academy – a new animated series based on Carl Macek’s last project at Harmony Gold. Robotech Academy is set during the same time period as the show’s unfinished Sentinels storyline and would follow the adventures of several young cadets at the Robotech Academy, located in orbit around Mars. (More)
- Movie Review: Guardians Of The Galaxy Is The Awesome Baby Of Indiana Jones And Star Wars
- 10 Best Moments of San Diego Comic-Con 2014
- The 10 Least Terrible SyFy Channel Original Movies (Sorry, Sharknado !)
- The 10 Totally Misleading Movie Titles, as chosen by SFx
- The 100 Best Science Fiction Movies, as chosen by the Daily Grail.
- The 1944 science fiction story that predicted the atomic bomb from Astounding Science Fiction.
- This Danish School Teaches Through LARPing… And It Works
- Defining Steampunk with Author Meljean Brook
- How to Do the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Sequel Right
- io9 picks the 13 greatest sci-fi comedies of all time.
- It’s Been A Bad Week For Strong Female Characters
- Looking At The Villains Of Guardians Of The Galaxy By Looking At The Comics
- The Men of Orphan Black Celebrate Season 2’s Best Death with a Duet
- The National Review Posted a Cover Story About Fake Geeks featuring Neil deGrasse Tyson.
- Not-So Brave New World: “cultures need not succumb to violent death; they can die of their own, internal causes, sinking society into a death-like boredom that may last for centuries. The Brave New World is a culture of supreme boredom; and what makes the boredom worse is the hopelessness arising from the fact that the people are too craven and self-involved to notice.”
- One Hundred And Sixty Things We Learned At San Diego Comic Con
- Orphan Black: Why Cophine Won’t Work: “Anyone who’s read my Orphan Black articles knows that I’d sacrifice my firstborn, drain my mother of blood and starve myself to see Cophine burst into flames, or rather simply Delphine all on her own.”
- Rise Up from Science Fiction Monoculture!
- Study Reveals Lack of Diversity in Hollywood Blockbusters is Staggering
- What Snowpiercer’s Video-on-Demand Success Means for Indie Films
- Why Is Science Fiction So Hard to Define?
- 8-Bit-Inspired Paintings of Famous Works of Art and Pop Culture Icons
- Fred Gambino’s Cosmic Artworks Will Restore Your Sense Of Wonder
More Fun Stuff
- Check out these 10 New posters for the upcoming movie, The Maze Runner.
- Close Encounters of a Third Kind pinball machine
- Driverless cars: why are we scared of giving more power to the machines? Frightened humans: because once you no longer need us, the slaughter begins.
- Fighter Jet Pilot Takes Badass Selfie Worthy Of A Sci-Fi Nightmare
- The Hanwha Eagles, a much beleaguered South Korean major league baseball team have introduced Fanbots, jersey-clad robots who lead cheers and display messages sent in from fans at home, standing in for fans who aren’t there. They’re taking baseball from us, now.
- Infographic: The Lifespan Of All Of Doctor Who‘s Doctors, By Screentime
- A new study indicates that our sister galaxy, Andromeda, is actually twice as massive as the Milky Way, making our galaxy the hot sister.
- Read an excerpt from Our Lady of the Streets by Tom Pollock at Civilian Reader.
- Remember Bruce Willis’ apartment in “Fifth Element”? Well, the future is here now…
- Stream the debut album of the space funk band Unidentified Funk Object at Bandcamp.
- Watch an emotional new Interstellar trailer
- Watch a trailer for Atari: Game Over, a Documentary about the Failed E.T. Game