An anthology featuring all-original dark tales of dolls from bestselling and award-winning authors, compiled by one of the top editors in the field.
The Doll Collection is exactly what it wounds like: a treasured toy box of all-original dark stories about dolls of all types, including everything from puppets and poppets to mannequins and baby dolls.
Featuring everything from life-sized clockwork dolls to all-too-human Betsy Wetsy-type baby dolls, these stories play into the true creepiness of the doll trope, but avoid the clichés that often show up in stories of this type.
Master anthologist Ellen Datlow has assembled a list of beautiful and terrifying stories from bestselling and critically acclaimed authors such as Joyce Carol Oates, Seanan McGuire, Carrie Vaughn, Pat Cadigan, Tim Lebbon, Richard Kadrey, Genevieve Valentine, and Jeffrey Ford. The collection is illustrated with photographs of dolls taken by Datlow and other devoted doll collectors from the science fiction and fantasy field. The result is a star-studded collection exploring one of the most primal fears of readers of dark fiction everywhere, and one that every reader will want to add to their own collection.
Here’s the table of contents…
- “Heroes and Villains” by Stephen Gallagher
- “The Doll-Master” by Joyce Carol Oates
- “Gaze” by Gemma Files
- “In Case of Zebras” by Pat Cadigan
- “Miss Sibyl-Cassandra” by Lucy Sussex
- “Skin and Bone” by Tim Lebbon
- “There Is No Place for Sorrow in the Kingdom of the Cold” by Seanan McGuire
- “Goodness and Kindness” by Carrie Vaughn
- “Daniel’s Theory of Dolls” by Stephen Graham Jones
- “After and Back Before” by Miranda Siemienowicz
- “Doctor Faustus” by Mary Robinette Kowal
- “Doll Court” by Richard Bowes
- “Visit Lovely Cornwall on the Western Railway Line” by Genevieve Valentine
- “Ambitious Boys Like You” by Richard Kadrey
- “The Permanent Collection” by Veronica Schanoes
- “Homemade Monsters” by John Langan
- “Word Doll” by Jeffrey Ford
Book info as per Amazon US:
- Hardcover: 352 pages
- Publisher: Tor Books (March 10, 2015)
- ISBN-10: 0765376806
- ISBN-13: 978-0765376800