Got a hot Free Fiction Tip? Tell me here
Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Free SF/F/H Fiction Newsletter
What’s Special About Today’s Free Fiction?
- Crossed Genres #21 – September 2014 – Typical
- Electric Spec #9.3 – August 31, 2014
- Heroic Fantasy Quarterly #21
- Mirror Dance Autumn 2014
- New Myths #28 – September 2014
- @Anotherealm: “Spaces Between Atoms” by Margaret Karmazin [Fantasy]
- @Aurora Wolf: “Forgiveness” by Priya Sridhar [Fantasy]
- @Baen: “An Imperium Pursuit” by Jody Lynn Nye [Science Fiction]
- @Chilling Tales for Dark Nights:
- Crossed Genres #21 – September 2014 – Typical [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- @Dark Futures: “The Elders Of The House” by Jamie Rand [Dark Science Fiction]
- Electric Spec #9.3 – August 31, 2014 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- Heroic Fantasy Quarterly #21 [Heroic Fantasy Magazine]
- Ideomancer #13.3 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- @Kasma SF: “The Kyne Extraction” by Fi Michell [Science Fiction]
- Mirror Dance Autumn 2014 [Fantasy Magazine]
- New Myths #28 – September 2014 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- “A Walk in the Sun” by Mike O’Reilly
- “Pan” by William Rotor
- “Red Sky at Dawn” by James Eastick
- “The Dew Eagle” by Priya Dabak
- “This Land of Shadow” by Mark Patrick Lynch
- “White Nights, Mammon City” by Sean Hazlett
- Flash Fiction:“Tea with the Titans” by Bonnie Jo Stufflebeam
- Flash Fiction:“The Trophy” by Louis Shalako
- @Short-Story.me: “Samael, the Half-Malachim” by J.G.Parker [Fantasy]
- @Weird Fiction Review: “The Old Pageant” by Richard Gavin [Weird]
- @The WiFiles: “The Sky People” by Alex Hardison [Science Fiction]
- @Words Without Borders:
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows:
- @Daily Science Fiction: “Some Things Are Hard To Get Rid Of” by Benjamin S Wolf [Science Fiction Flash]
- Flash Fiction Online September 2014 [Flash Fiction Magazine]
- @Flashes in the Dark: “The Itch” by Thomas Scopel [Horror Flash]
- @Mad Scientist Journal: “Diaries of the Margliss Expedition” by Marcelina Vizcarra [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Investments” by Simon Kewin [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The angle of the light on the bloodstained kitchen floor” by Matt Mikalatos [Science Fiction Flash]
- @New Myths:
- @Short-Story.me: “Blood Bank” by Janet Armstrong [Horror Flash]
Written – Serialized
- @Dark Futures: Bonepicker by Matthew X. Gomez – Episode 3 [Dark Science Fiction Serialization]
- @HiLobrow: King Goshawk by Eimar O’Duffy – Chapter 37 [Satirical Science Fiction Serialization – from 1926]
- @Kat and Mouse: Guns for Hire: Stand Off by Abner Senires – Part Seven [Cyberpunk Serial]
- @madgeniusclub: Elf Blood by Sarah A. Hoyt – Chapter 25 [Fantasy Novel Serialization]
- @Author’s Site: New Dawn by Andrew James Morgan – Chapter 4 [Science Fiction Novel Serialization]
- @Author’s Site: New Dawn by Andrew James Morgan – Chapter 5 [Science Fiction Novel Serialization]
- Beam Me Up! #422 by [Science Fiction]
- Cast of Wonders #136 – “Flotsam” by Rebecca Schwarz [YA Science Fiction]
- Cthulhu Podcast #181 – “Herbert West: Reanimator” by H.P. Lovecraft [Horror]
- Tales To Terrify #138 by [Horror]
- Toasted Cake #121 – “Faerie Food” by Kat Otis [Fantasy]
Audio – Radio Dramas
- @Boxcars711 Old Time Radio Pod:
- @Relic Radio:
Free eBooks – Various Speculative Subgenres
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
A Not So Singular World by Patrick Hatt
Jeremiah has spent his whole life searching for his parents with nothing but a faded picture of them to keep him going. His search had hit a dead end until his birthday rolled around and he received a gift, being run down by a car that seemed to have no driver. And that was the best part of his day.
[Science Fiction Adventure Novel – Amazon]
Cemetery Planet I by J. Joseph Wright
It’s eight hundred years in the future, a time when the Earth had become so populated, all graveyards had to be relocated to another planet. It’s an entire world of graves in a lonely, desolate part of the galaxy, and Harvey Crane, the sole caretaker, finds he’s not alone on Cemetery Planet.
[Space Opera Novelette – First of Series – Amazon]
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington #1) by David Weber
Having made him look a fool, she’s been exiled to Basilisk Station in disgrace and set up for ruin by a superior who hates her.
Her demoralized crew blames her for their ship’s humiliating posting to an out-of-the-way picket station.
The aborigines of the system’s only habitable planet are smoking homicide-inducing hallucinogens.
Parliament isn’t sure it wants to keep the place; the major local industry is smuggling; the merchant cartels want her head; the star-conquering, so-called “Republic” of Haven is Up To Something; and Honor Harrington has a single, over-age light cruiser with an armament that doesn’t work to police the entire star system.
But the people out to get her have made one mistake. They’ve made her mad.
[Military Science Fiction Novel – First of Series – Amazon | Kobo]
The Last Firewall by William Hertling
In the year 2035, robots, artificial intelligences, and neural implants have become commonplace. The Institute for Ethics keeps the peace, using social reputation to ensure that robots and humans don’t harm society or each other. But a powerful AI named Adam has found a way around the restrictions.
Catherine Matthews, nineteen years old, has a unique gift: the ability to manipulate the net with her neural implant. Yanked out of her perfectly ordinary life, Catherine becomes the last firewall standing between Adam and his quest for world domination.
[Technothriller Novel – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian
Radioactive by BJ Knights
Southern California is home to sand, surf, and fun in the sun. Jim Farr, a former Naval Intelligence Officer, owns a maritime mechanics company and works as a contractor for the San Diego Naval Base. It’s a normal day on the job until explosions go off. With the Naval Base destroyed, and word of attacks happening around the country, Jim has to get to his sister in Phoenix… But that’s just the beginning. Follow Jim along in this three-part action packed series and find out just what happens when the bombs go off.
[Post-Apocalyptic Serial – Three Part Omnibus – Amazon]
The SIN of Addison Hall by Jeffrey Onorato
Residing in a country where beautiful people are considered superior, Addison Hall is an anomaly. A mildly repugnant man, he is forced by the twisted hierarchy of his dictator to live in less than adequate living situations.
[Dystopian Novel – Amazon]
Wool – Part One by Hugh Howey
Thousands of them have lived underground. They’ve lived there so long, there are only legends about people living anywhere else. Such a life requires rules. Strict rules. There are things that must not be discussed. Like going outside. Never mention you might like going outside.
Or you’ll get what you wish for.
[Post-Apocalyptic Novelette – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Steampunk
A Latent Dark by Martin Kee
Skyla has lived secretly within the city walls of Bollingbrook for eleven years, playing among the airship factories and trainyards. As one of the Gutter District’s nameless destitute, it has gone undiscovered that she has a unique talent: when Skyla looks at a person’s shadow she sees through it and into another world. She can see people’s fears, desires, their past sins–all as swimming, living creatures.
Her mother has never told her the real reasons why they must remain hidden, never explained the true dangers that exist outside the city walls. But when her mother’s past catches up with them both, Skyla finds she must flee out of the city and into a world still recovering from a second Dark Age, a world of adults with secrets only she can see.
For a stranger has recently moved into Bollingbrook, a man some call the Pope of the South, a witch hunter to some and a hero to others. When more children begin to disappear, suspicions are raised and an unlikely search party is formed to find Skyla in the hopes that they aren’t already too late.
[YA Steampunk Novel – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Fantasy
Isle of Wysteria: Make Like a Tree and Leaf by Aaron Yeager
The day has finally arrived. After years of scheming, Athel is finally ready to sneak away from her island to join the federal navy. But before her feet hit the deck her mother arrives with the worst condition possible. She can only leave if she takes her new fiancé with her.
Alder is everything she didn’t want in a house-husband. Short and pale, and infuriatingly formal, his presence sabotages every chance she gets to wallow in her new found freedom. And yet, he seems to understand her in a way no one else ever has. While having a personal chef who knows what you want before you want it is certainly flattering, how could she ever accept someone who is so different from what she imagined she wanted in a man?
[Epic Fantasy Romance Novel – Amazon]
Knight’s Valor: Legends of the Dread Realm by Ronald Coleborn
In an ancient divided realm, where a king lay dying, and ruthless militiamen and mercenaries form an alliance as they march toward the realm’s seat of power, a small band of warriors must defend the throne against an enemy that seeks to sweep terror across the lands; an enemy who wields an ancient and powerful dark sorcery. Amidst an inevitable war and the impending collapse of a kingdom, a young boy emerges, and he cannot speak, hear, nor see, but he possesses a rare gift that may shift the balance of power.
[Epic Fantasy Serial – First Episode – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Young Adult
Outcast (The Blue Dragon’s Geas #1) by Cheryl Matthynssens
Alador, a young man who cannot find a way to fit into the world about him, finds himself thrust into the limelight. With a brand new world, new customs and of course dragons, Outcast offers something for both epic fantasy and coming of age readers.
Alador wants nothing more then to fit into the world that rejects him due to his mixed heritage. He does not fit into the world of his mother and he can’t seem to bring to life the power of his father. And then of course, there is a girl.
Renamaum, a great blue dragon, wants to restore the pact between man and dragon that time and greed have erased. He petitions the council to find one who will fight for the future of both dragon and mortal.
Both come crashing together when Alador is caught in a geas so strong that neither could abandon it, even in death.
[YA Sword & Sorcery Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Talon and the Dragons of Crinnelia (The Prophecy of the Dragons #1) by Diana Metz
“I can always tell when the Magic is present in a human: a glowing about the head, rather like the glow of the embers in your fire. I ate someone with Magic once, and had gas for months.” The dragon chuckled, at least Talon hoped that was a chuckle.
Dragons, Wizards, and magical rings. This was not at all what Talon had in mind when he accepted an errand from a strange old man. Now an evil Wizard is after him, he’s living in a cave, and a Dragon Queen has mysterious plans for his future. Can Talon accept his fate and become a powerful Wizard? Would Dragons ever again think of humans as anything more than an easy meal?
Talon is a fantasy adventure story for readers of all ages. It was written for a younger audience, but it is enjoyable for adults as well. This is a fun romp through a world of magic and dragons who aren’t flying flamethrowers but intelligent and humorous creatures.
[YA Sword & Sorcery Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
The Book of Sight by Deborah Dunlevy
A book can be a wonderful gift.
When Alex received an unexpected package, she never dreamed the book it contained would change her life forever. After all, the words inside were gibberish.
She had no idea the places that book would take her, the friends that book would help her make or the wonders that book would reveal.
She had no clue the trouble that book would bring, either.
A book can be a dangerous gift.
[YA Fantasy Adventure Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
The Legend of the Firewalker by Steve Bevil
Teenagers with supernatural powers. A college town deep in folklore, murder and mystery. A vengeful secret order. And fallen angels with dark and powerful forces that will stop at nothing to find the one they seek…
[YA Fantasy / Superhero Novel – Amazon]
The Spirit (The Spirit Trilogy #1) by D.Nichole King
While seventeen year-old Carrie Reese’s parents were working out the details of their divorce, she headed to Villisca, Iowa to stay with her grandparents.
Villisca was home to the infamous Axe Murder House…
It’s known to be haunted by the ghosts of the victims and their killer. Carrie doesn’t believe in ghosts, but the moving curtains and red flashes of light in the windows of Lot 310 were starting to give her reason to watch her back.
Then in walked Lucas…
[YA Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]