Interviews & Profiles
- CBR interviews Eliza Dushku, star of The Scribbler.
- The Daily Beast interviews John Travolta, who defends his role in Battlefield Earth.
- Ginger Nuts of Horror interviews David Mathew, author of Creature Feature.
- Huffington Post interviews Stephen King, author of Revival and “A Good Marriage,” the recently adapted novella. Ebooks have, King says, nothing will be able to replace a physical book.
- Literary Escapism interviews Anton Strout, author of Incarnate.
- My Bookish Ways interviews David Liss, author of The Day of Atonement.
- Nicky Peacock interviews Jim Cogan, author of The Dirty City.
- The Qwillery interviews Adrian Cole, author of The Shadow Academy.
- Suvudu interviews Julie Wetzel, author of Kindling Flames – Gathering Tinder.
- Tor.com interviews Cherie Priest, author of Maplecroft.
- USA Today interviews Patricia Briggs, author of Shifting Shadows.
- Author James Dashner has revealed The Maze Runner Will Get A New Prequel, The Fever Code.
- How Laline Paull Brought Real Science into Her Novel The Bees
- Museum of Science Fiction Announces Pilot Program with DC Public Elementary School
- Neal Stephenson’s Cimarronin: A Samurai in New Spain is out on Amazon
- Ridley Scott Says Prometheus 2 is Xenomorph-Free
- Syfy’s Defiance and Dominion Given Renewals. Um… yay?
- Season 3 of Angton Strout’s The Once & Future podcast starts on 9/29.
Events & Event News
- Acclaimed writer and activist Cory Doctorow and illustrator Jen Wang will appear at Skylight Books in Los Angeles, CA on Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm to present In Real Life.
- Lauren Beukes appears at Porter Square Books to sign her new book, Broken Monsters, in conversation with novelist Joe Hill on Tuesday, September 23rd at 7:00 pm! RSVP on Facebook!
- Silent Night of the Living Dead! – Do you love zombies? And do you love Christmas?? Then you’re going to love ‘Silent Night of the Living Dead,’ the brand new zombified nativity set brought to you by those lovely, creative people at OddCo Ltd.
- URBANCE – help produce a kick-ass pilot episode of a dystopian gangland anime series. (More)
- Book Review: Paul Di Filippo calls Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by David Shafer ‘a helluva ride.”
- The 12 Weirdest Reasons For Banning Science Fiction and Fantasy Books
- 13 unfilmed Stephen King stories that need to make it to the screen.
- Blastr remembers The 9 biggest alien invasion hoaxes in history
- Call the Doctor: The Many Faces of Doctor Who
- Den of Geek considers Steven Moffat’s mysterious female characters in Doctor Who.
- Did You Miss John Scalzi’s Lock In Tour? Experience it Virtually!
- Digital Spy discusses How Lost changed U.S. Television.
- The Dystopian City and Urban Policy: Science fiction has inspired scientists and political activists, but it should be an inspiration for municipal governments too.
- The Economist discusses Robot jurisprudence and the question of How to judge a ’bot.
- Faux-fanity: Ranking Science Fiction Swearing From Shuck To Shazbot
- Film Journal interviews Anthony Stacchi and Graham Annable, directors of The Boxtrolls.
- Film School looks back at Terry Gilliam’s Dystopic Futures: 12 Monkeys, Brazil, and The Zero Theorem.
- The Hardest Part: Jenna Black on The Gifted Dead at BullSpec.
- How to save your preemie: Wrap her in a robot
- io9 names 10 Space Empires That Actually Make Economic Sense
- Is young-adult movie craze changing genre books, readers?
- John DeNardo explains How I Learned to Respect the Power of Fiction
- Lost: 9 unanswered questions and unresolved issues we still have today. Only 9?
- Over at the SFWA John Scalzi asks Does Book Touring Still Matter? Personally, I prefer my authors at conventions, which to my mind, feel a lot more like seeing exotic animals in the comfort of a zoo. Author signings always feel like encountering a wild beast out in the open. Neil Gaiman’s at the Barnes and Noble where I Latte-camp every Sunday?! Oh my god! Don’t make eye contact, I read somewhere that eye contact makes authors charge. No wait, try to make yourself look larger. Oh, God! You have a scone? Don’t you know English majors can smell free food a mile off?! Play dead!!
- Zombie experts toast Shaun of the Dead
- Christoph Waltz Merges With The Infinite in This Beautiful Zero Theorem Poster
- Duct Tape Serenity Is The Shiniest Ship In The Galaxy
More Fun Stuff
- A breakdown of the Star Wars vs. Star Trek fight by state. Can’t we all just get along?
- Future Politics is a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign class by Jake Bowers on the political theory of science fiction and a great recommended reading and discussion list for the rest of us.
- NASA has a page for space technology terms you can use in science fiction.
- Read an excerpt from City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett at Tor.com.
- Science Is One Step Closer To Making One Of Our Sci-Fi Nightmares A Reality
- Watch a trailer for Kingsman: The Secret Service
- Watch a trailer for Ethan Hawke’s twisty time-travel flick Predestination.
- Watch a trailer for Stephen King Adaptation Big Driver
- Why India’s Mars mission is so cheap (half of what it costs to make a Star Trek movie)