Eric Choi has posted the table of contents for the upcoming (December 2, 2014) anthology he co-edited with Ben Bova: Carbide Tipped Pens: Seventeen Tales of Hard Science Fiction.
Here’s the book description:
Seventeen hard science fiction tales by today’s top authors
Hard science fiction is the literature of change, rigorously examining the impact—both beneficial and dangerous—of science and technology on humanity, the future, and the cosmos. As science advances, expanding our knowledge of the universe, astounding new frontiers in storytelling open up as well.
In Carbide Tipped Pens, over a dozen of today’s most creative imaginations explore these frontiers, carrying on the grand tradition of such legendary masters as Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, and John W. Campbell, while bringing hard science fiction into the 21st century by extrapolating from the latest scientific developments and discoveries. Ranging from ancient China to the outer reaches of the solar system, this outstanding collection of original stories, written by an international roster of authors, finds wonder, terror, and gripping human drama in topics as diverse as space exploration, artificial intelligence, biotechnology, climate change, alternate history, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, interplanetary war, and even the future of baseball.
From tattoos that treat allergies to hazardous missions to Mars and beyond, from the end of the world to the farthest limits of human invention, Carbide Tipped Pens turns startling new ideas into state-of-the art science fiction.
Includes stories by Ben Bova, Gregory Benford, Robert Reed, Aliette de Bodard, Jack McDevitt, Howard Hendrix, Daniel H. Wilson, and many others!
Here’s the table of contents…
- “The Blue Afternoon That Lasted Forever” by Daniel H. Wilson
- “A Slow Unfurling of Truth” by Aliette de Bodard
- “Thunderwell” by Doug Beason
- “The Circle” by Liu Cixin (translated by Ken Liu)
- “Old Timer’s Game” by Ben Bova
- “The Snows of Yesteryear” by Jean-Louis Trudel
- “Skin Deep” by Leah Petersen & Gabrielle Harbowy
- “Lady with Fox” by Gregory Benford
- “Habilis” by Howard V. Hendrix
- “The Play’s the Thing” by Jack McDevitt
- “Every Hill Ends With Sky” by Robert Reed
- “She Just Looks That Way” by Eric Choi
- “SIREN of Titan” by David DeGraff
- “The Yoke of Inauspicious Stars” by Kate Story
- “Ambiguous Nature” by Carl Frederick
- “The Mandelbrot Bet” by Dirk Strasser
- “Recollection” by Nancy Fulda
Book info as per Amazon US:
- Hardcover: 400 pages
- Publisher: Tor Books; First Edition edition (December 2, 2014)
- ISBN-10: 0765334305
- ISBN-13: 978-0765334305