Got a hot Free Fiction Tip? Tell me here
Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Free SF/F/H Fiction Newsletter
What’s Special About Today’s Free Fiction?
- It exists in list format for the first time in a while. I’d say that’s pretty special.
- Apex Magazine #65 – October 2014 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #157 – October 2, 2014 – Sixth Anniversary Double-Issue [Fantasy Magazine]
- Clarkesworld Magazine #97 – October 2014 [Dark Fantasy]
- “A Rich, Full Week” by K.J. Parker [Sword & Sorcery – from 2010]
- “Lovecraft” by Helena Bell [Horror]
- “Pithing Needle” by E. Catherine Tobler [Science Fiction]
- “Seeking boarder for rm w/ attached bathroom, must be willing to live with ghosts ($500 / Berkeley)” by Rahul Kanakia [Fantasy]
- “Taxidermist in the Underworld” by Maria Dahvana Headley [Dark Fantasy]
- “Wizard’s Six” by Alexander Irvine [Fantasy – from 2007]
- @The Colored Lens: “Sister Winter” by Jenni Moody [Fantasy]
- @GigaNotoSaurus: “Nine Instances of Rain” by M. Huw Evans [Speculative Fiction – also available as eBook]
- @Lightspeed Magazine:
- “Dust” by Daniel José Older [Science Fiction – also available in audio]
- “Jupiter Wrestlerama” by Marie Vibbert [Science Fiction – also available in audio]
- “Scarey Rose in Deep History” by Rebecca Ore [Science Fiction]
- “The Biography of a Bouncing Boy Terror!” by Ysabeau S. Wilce [Fantasy]
- “The Herd” by Steve Hockensmith [Fantasy – also available in audio]
- “Water Off a Black Dog’s Back” by Kelly Link [Fantasy]
- @Mad Scientist Journal:
- @Mythic Delirium: “Behind Glass” by Brady Golden [Horror]
- @Nightmare Magazine:
- @Omni Reboot: “The Explorer” by Brett Ryan Bonowicz [Science Fiction]
- @Tor: “Nuestra Señora de la Esperanza” by Carrie Vaughn [Fantasy]
- @Weird Fiction Review: “Drunk Bay” by Marly Youmans [Weird]
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows:
- “A Cello For Amadeus” by Caesar Voghan [Science Fiction Flash]
- “A Strange Thing About Portals” by P. Djeli Clark [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Acceptance” by Suzanne Borchers [Science Fiction Flash]
- “AutoKnowMe” by Kevlin Henney [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Buoy” by Roger Dale Trexler [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Carroway” by Duncan Shields [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Drawing Hands” by Aaron Koelker [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Empire” by Bob Newbell [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Good Work” by cchatfield [Science Fiction Flash]
- “I Am Battalion” by Jae Miles [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Inexplicable Reflector” by Jay Haytch [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Mayhem” by Steve Smith [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Author’s Site: “Enemies” by Vincent Asaro [Horror Flash]
- @Every Day Fiction:
- “A Selkie Misplaced” by Lucy Gregg Muir [Fantasy Flash]
- “A Very Long Ride” by SMNilsen [Science Fiction Romance Flash]
- “And That, My Children, Is Why We Can’t Go To Space Anymore” by Shane Halbach [Science Fiction Humor Flash]
- “Baby’s on the Roof” by Connie Cockrell [Superhero Flash]
- “Forgotten” by K. S. O’Neill [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Iron Privateers” by Alexander Burns [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Nothing to be Afraid Of” by Esmi Rowan [Horror Flash]
- @Flashes in the Dark:
- @Omni Reboot: “They’re Made Out of Meat” by Terry Bisson [Science Fiction Flash – from 1990]
Written – Serialized
- @HiLobrow: King Goshawk by Eimar O’Duffy – Chapter 40 [Satirical Science Fiction Serialization – from 1926]
- @Paizo: A Knightly Mission by Dylan Birtolo – Chapter One: A Knight with a Cause [Shared World Fantasy Serialization]
- @Author’s Site: Musketeer Space by Tansy Rayner Roberts: [Space Opera Serialization]
- @Beneath Ceaseless Skies Podcast:
- @Clarkesworld Magazine:
- “Lovecraft” by Helena Bell [Horror]
- “Seeking boarder for rm w/ attached bathroom, must be willing to live with ghosts ($500 / Berkeley)” by Rahul Kanakia
- “Taxidermist in the Underworld” by Maria Dahvana Headley [Dark Fantasy – Direct Download (MP3) ]
- @Lightspeed Magazine:
- @Nightmare Magazine: “It Feels Better Biting Down” by Livia Llewellyn [Horror]
Free eBooks – Various Speculative Subgenres
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
Atlantis: Quest (The Jumpoint Saga #1) by Calvin C. Cahail
In the year two thousand thirty-three, the world changed. The computer grid mysteriously collapsed plunging the world’s governments into chaos. Flying metal orbs appeared dominating the skies while enforcing curfew on a hapless people. Governments were helpless to respond and taking credit for it all: The Prophet.
In the small town of Melvin’s Bank, Belize, a professor perfects time travel, and Jack Spencer is the first living thing on Earth to survive a Jump through time. They see an opportunity to use Jack’s unique ability to confront The Prophet hidden ten thousand years in the past on an island called Atlantea. The Prophet will be a formidable foe. Able to Jump time as well, the cowled Prophet has learned the secrets of ancient alchemy and mixed them with the weaponry of another time and is hell-bound to destroy the future. Only Jack can stop him.
[Time Travel Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Inherit the Sea (Danglers #1) by Studio Dongo
New Holland is coming. This submerged city of organized lawlessness built to cruise the international waters of the world will soon be making its way to a port near you, but before it can even be constructed, the wealthy Kuglers will have to be talked into sponsoring the project by young Mick, who has just married into the family.
[Science Fiction Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
The Synchronicity War Part 1 by Dietmar Wehr
After almost a century of peaceful exploration and colonization of space, the United Earth Space Force stumbles across a shockingly xenophobic alien race that has more and better armed ships and refuses all attempts at contact. As the outgunned Space Force is driven back in battle after battle in what appears to be a war of extermination, one officer experiences precognitive visions that help him blunt the enemy onslaught but he can’t control or predict when they occur.
[Space Opera Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian
Ebola K by Bobby Adair
In 1989 the Ebola virus mutated to into an airborne strain that infected humans for the first time on American soil in Reston, Virginia. Through belated containment efforts and luck, nobody died.
Now, in the remote East African village of Kapchorwa, the Ebola virus has mutated into another airborne strain without losing any of its deadly potency.
[Dystopian Technothriller Novel – Amazon]
Silo 49: Going Dark by Ann Christy
Set in Hugh Howey’s world of WOOL.
Silo 49 has never had it easy and things have just gotten a whole lot worse. Graham, the head of IT, has done many unsavory things in his life but everyone has a line they won’t cross. He just found his. With only his best friend, Wallis and a dying electrician, Grace, to stand by him, he is left with one clear and final choice. Does he do what is right or what the rules say he should? It is a race against time for the trio against the impersonal might of Silo One. Their only choice? Going Dark.
[Dystopian Novella – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Fantasy
Enchantment’s Reach by Martin Ash
The small kingdom of Enchantment’s Reach lies close on the border of the mysterious land of Enchantment from where strange energies seep, borne invisibly on unnatural breezes. Untamed magic resides in the air, in the land itself, and sometimes also deep within the minds of its inhabitants.
It is a time of immense tension. Enchantment’s Reach is being torn apart from both inside and out. From the southwest have come the Karai, a brutal warrior race not wholly human, one of whose armies now musters just a few leagues from the border. The Karai are in league, it appears, with mysterious and powerful entities who dwell within Enchantment itself, commonly held to have the powers of deities. Yet neither the Karai nor these godlike creatures of Enchantment have been known before to interfere directly in the affairs of lesser creatures.
What is it that they seek from Enchantment’s Reach?
[Epic Fantasy Novel – Amazon]
Nameless Dwarf: A Dwarf With No Name (Book One) by D.P. Prior
Cursed by a demonic axe and fueled with an unquenchable bloodlust, the Nameless Dwarf slaughters his own people in their thousands. The survivors flee to the nightmare realms beyond the mountains, where no one has ever set foot and lived to tell the tale.
Freed from the axe, and horrified by what he has done, the Nameless Dwarf pursues them across the known world. Convinced there can be no atonement, he is prepared to sacrifice everything to save the last of his race from extinction.
The trail leads to the brigand town of Malfen, on the fringes of civilization. But no one passes though without paying a toll to an underground boss known as the Ant-Man. It is a toll that has already cost many their lives.
[Dark Fantasy Novella – First of Series – Amazon]
The Lost Princess of Oz (Illustrated) by L. Frank Baum
When Princess Ozma mysteriously disappears, four search parties are sent out, one for each of Oz’s four countries. Most of the book covers Dorothy and the Wizard’s efforts to find her. Meanwhile, Cayke the Cookie Chef discovers that her magic dishpan (on which she bakes her famous cookies) has been stolen. Along with the Frogman, they leave their mountain in Winkie Country to find the pan.When Princess Ozma mysteriously disappears, four search parties are sent out, one for each of Oz’s four countries. Most of the book covers Dorothy and the Wizard’s efforts to find her. Meanwhile, Cayke the Cookie Chef discovers that her magic dishpan (on which she bakes her famous cookies) has been stolen. Along with the Frogman, they leave their mountain in Winkie Country to find the pan.
[Fantasy Novella – Amazon]
The Witch Narratives Reincarnation: Southwestern Magic (Land of Enchantment Witches Trilogy #1) by Belinda Vasquez Garcia
In New Mexico, witches turn into fireballs and travel by the spark of a flame to race across the sky, like shooting stars. Witch lights the villagers call these illuminations. Madrid is nestled in a canyon, well hidden by the black smoke of coal mining, a perfect screening for enchantment, a place where the automobile competes with horse and wagon, where Catholicism collides with witchcraft, and superstition becomes reality. The villagers are a simple people, indebted to the company store, thereby enslaving them to the back-breaking mine. They pray for the Great Depression to end. They hide crosses under their doormats in order to keep out the local witches.
Salia is a 3rd generation witch, and she is a half-breed. Her mother and grandmother force her to follow in their magical footsteps and join the family business. Salia has no desire to be a member of the Sisterhood of the Black Rose, the covens created by La Llorona the legendary, centuries-old witch. If she can only find a way to defeat her family curse and escape the one-horse town of Madrid.
[Dark Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Fantasy – Young Adult
Aegis Rising (The Aegis League #1) by S.S. Segran
Three Worlds Collide, Unlikely Heroes Arise.
Over a remote northern forest, a small plane carrying five teenage friends flies into a freak storm. Struck by lightning, the aircraft crashes and the passengers find themselves cast into a life-changing adventure.
In a hidden valley, a mysterious people gaze at the stormy sky as a glowing object with fiery wings disappears behind a mountain ridge. The astonishing sight reignites an ancient prophecy foretelling the arrival of five chosen ones destined to become bearers of light against a dark storm gathering on humanity’s horizon.
[YA Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
The Conjure Book by A. A. Attanasio
Life is lonely for 13-year-old Jane Riggs in the historical New England village that is her new home—until she discovers a four-hundred-year-old book of spells that really works. Guided by the ghost of the witch who wrote the conjure book, Jane embarks on a terrifying but glorious quest for magical power. Her ambition is to contact her mother, dead these ten years and remembered only in photographs. For such a great prize, Jane is willing to risk much among the weird creatures she conjures out of the spirit world. But she will need more than courage when her magic follows her to school. After an evil spirit-fox steals her classmate’s soul, life suddenly gets very complicated. Coming of age among dark, elemental powers while not missing a day of seventh grade is not easy. And the answers Jane needs for growing up don’t seem to be in the conjure book.
[YA Urban Fantasy Novel – Amazon]
The Goblin Market (Into the Green #1) by Jennifer Melzer
Beyond the Goblin Market lies the remains of a lost and broken kingdom divided by war. The war has been over for centuries, but the kingdoms still stand apart, overrun by a creeping goblin darkness known as the Darknjan Wald. It has been written that only one holds the power to destroy that darkness and reunite the kingdoms, but she has no memory of her former life.
Meredith Drexler must save her sister, Christina, from the wicked goblin king, Kothar, who has kidnapped the girl in order to convince Meredith to uphold an ancient commitment Meredith doesn’t remember making. Sent Upland disguised as a human child, she has no recollection of her former faerie life, or her uncle’s promised marriage betrothal to Kothar.
When she ventures back Underground in search of Christina, every step Meredith takes brings memories of her forgotten past back to the surface. As the pressures of her former life entangle with her quest to save her kidnapped sister, Meredith’s predetermined fate is revealed. Will she embrace it, or walk away forever from a life she barely remembers as her own?
[YA Fantasy Romance Novel – First of Series – Amazon]