Interviews & Profiles
- A Backwards Story interviews Kelsey Macke, author of Damsel Distressed.
- Diabolical Plots interviews Bud Webster of the SFWA’s Estate Project.
- Fantasy Faction interviews V.E. Schwab, author of Vicious.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Ethan Reid, author of The Undying.
- The Qwillery interviews Allison Kingsley, author of Raven’s Nest Bookstore Mysteries.
- SFFWorld interviews Andrew Leon Hudson, author of The Glass Sealing.
- Suvudu interviews R.A. Salvatore, author of Rise of the King.
- Sword and Laser interviews Robert Jackson Bennett, author of City of Stairs.
- Urban Fantasy Investigations interviews L.M. Brown, author of Touch of a Ghost.
- Libertarian Futurist Society to Honor Vernor Vinge
- The Lovecraft eZine hits the print big time
- The Winners for the 2014 Prix Aurora Awards have been announced.
Events & Event News
- Flyleaf Books in Chapel Hill will welcome Marie Lu, the bestselling author of the new young adult novel The Young Elites Wednesday, October 8th.
- Dark Age Z – a strategic board game with medieval armies fighting mysterious modern zombies.
- Sentient – The Web Series – A group of scientists stumble upon an extraterrestrial virus that is self aware. They must stop it’s spread in order to save humanity.
- Book Review: Noel Murray reviews the recently reissued Ghost in the Shell: “One of the big reasons Ghost In The Shell became the most popular anime feature internationally since Akira (the film that first introduced many audiences to mature Japanese animation) is that it gets into its viewers’ heads, by musing out loud about what defines a living entity.”
- 10 movies to get you in the mood for the Halloween season.
- David Brin weighs in on Sci Fi Flicks! Some looks back and forward.
- Dear Author On the “specialness” of books in an e-book age.
- Den of Geek remembers 10 great milestone TV episodes.
- Doctor Who: why care about scientific plausibility? Doctor Who has long glossed over scientific logic for storytelling reasons, says Andrew. Why complain about implausibility now?
- Infographic: All 10 Halloween movies, in charts and percentages
- Kevin Ohannessian explains why the new Dungeons & Dragons edition matters in an ages of video games: “Even decades later, after thousands of computer and console role-playing games, the endless possibilities of tabletop D&D provides unique experiences. There are intricate puzzles with incredible freedom in their solutions. There are interactions with non-player characters that can end in a million ways; a videogame may provide only two or three choices. Mass Effect and other modern RPGs may have 3 or 5 pre-determined endings; a D&D campaign could have an ending completely customized to the players’ actions, intentions, and desires.”
- The Legacy of Muad’Dib: The Cult That Frank Herbert Never Wanted
- Now It Makes Sense Why “Space Captain Pirate Harlock” Makes No Sense
- On Christ and Pop Culture, my comrade E. Stephen Burnett writes about the philosophical underpinnings of Doctor Who’s new season: “Behind each of series eight’s first three episodes — even the choppy, lackluster “Deep Breath” — seems to lie probing questions about not only the very identity of the Doctor himself but the whole concept of Doctor Who.”
- Premonitions author Jamie Schultz writes about Influences & Inspirations in a guest post.
- Ray Bradbury’s The Martian Chronicles Blends Sci-fi And Social Commentary
- What to Say When the Patient Doesn’t Talk: Lisbeth Salander and the Problem of Silence
- Why horror games are scarier than horror movies
- Will we get an Independence Day sequel? Will it have a new rousing anti-alien speech, sure to liven up any holiday barbecue?
- Check out this Massive Scrap Metal Hulk Sculpture
- Chunk Of Wood Turned Into Groot From Guardians Of The Galaxy By Chainsaw Artist
- Minecraft ‘Head Into The Clouds’ contest has some breathtaking creations
More Fun Stuff
- 21 spooky Halloween decorations you can buy right now on Etsy
- Adventure Time: The Movie from GrittyReboots: Years later when magic in the Land of Ooo begins to fade, Finn and Jake must embark on one mommy of an adventure to save their world.
- Here’s a first look at George Clooney in Brad Bird’s Tomorrowland.
- ISS’s Expedition 42 Crew Recreates Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy Poster
- Read an excerpt from the 12th Doctor’s first comic-book adventure at Blastr.
- Read an excerpt from the Dangerous Women short story “The Girl in the Mirror” by Lev Grossman.
- Read an excerpt from The Ghosts Of Heaven by Marcus Sedgwick at SFx.
- Read an excerpt from Prophecies, Libels & Dreams by Ysabeau S. Wilce at Tor.com.
- A short Tumblr answer by Neil Gaiman features a twist and a moral.
- Watch a book trailer for The Calling by James Frey at SFx.
- Watch Edgar Wright’s Music Video For Daft Punk And Pharrell, complete with Flying Stone Heads
- Watch a trailer for The Theory of Everything, the life story of Stephen Hawking.