Interviews & Profiles
- A Backwards Story interviews Danielle Ellison, author of Storm.
- A.C. Wise interviews Julia Rios and Alisa Krasnostein, editors of Kaleidoscope.
- Civilian Reader interviews Robert Jackson Bennett, author of City of Stairs.
- Europa SF interviews Sonja Fritzsche of The Liverpool Companion to World Science Fiction Film.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Nicholas Sansbury Smith, author of Orbs 2: Stranded.
- Nicky Peacock interviews Katlyn Duncan, author of Soul Taken.
- Reddit recently hosted an AMA for Ann Leckie, author of Ancillary Justice. (Highlights)
- Shimmer interviews A.C. Wise, author of “Dream of the Fisherman’s Wife.”
- This is Horror interviews Norman Dixon, author of The Creepers.
- Tor.com interviews Faith Hunter, author of Broken Soul.
- Tor.com interviews Tina Connolly, author of Silverblind.
- Urban Fantasy Investigations interviews L.M. Brown, author of Touch of a Ghost.
- Adobe Confirms It’s Gathering eBook Reader’s Data.
- Amazon to experiment with brick-and-mortar store in New York City
- MFA creative writing graduates are (possibly) killing literature, even as they elevate the quality of sarcasm behind the counter of your local Starbucks.
- There’s a A Special Storybundle “writing Tools” Bundle For NANOWRIMO for aspiring authors!
Events & Event News
- British Fantasy Society wants to make your Hallowe’en
- This weekend, CLARS AUCTION GALLERY in the SF Bay Area will be hosting an auction of items from the collection of Charles N. Brown, to benefit Locus. The entire mystery book collection of Charles N. Brown will be available for bid on October 11 along with selected Native American art and artifacts and other decorative items. On October 12, a variety of prints and a small selection of unframed original SF and pulp illustrations by Ed Emshwiller, David Stone, Don Sibley, John Schoenherr, and Vincent Di Fate will be available for bidding, as well as a selection of antiquities, Mission furniture, decorative items, and smalls.
- LIFECELL – a short film set in a future, dystopian society where everyone runs on batteries.
- Rocket Race: A Steampunk Rocket Building Card Game – Construct amazing moon rockets from an array of weird science devices in this fast paced card game for 2-6 players.
- Book Review: Michael Dirda reviews The Complete Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino [via Paul Di Filippo]
- 8 Book Recommendations That Totally Miss The Point
- 12 Excellent Horror Reads for The Month of October
- 12 Technologies We Need To Stop Stalling On And Develop Now
- Apocalypse Soon-ish: The Loneliness of the Last One Left
- The Boston Globe on A celebration of Vonnegut on the Cape
- Fiction Prediction: The Legacy of Science Fiction Writers
- Halloween themed horror movies you need to check out
- The Huffington Post suggests 8 Terrifying Ghost Stories for campfire reading.
- Imperial Imprecision: It’s long been known that Star Wars: A New Hope contains examples of some of the worst marksmanship in the history of cinema, particularly with respect to the Emperor’s ‘elite’ forces. But how bad were they really? Wouldn’t it be awesome if there was a statistical measure of exactly how astonishingly bad imperial stormtroopers were at hitting their mark?
- The Little Prince With a Bronx Twang: 70 years after an enigmatic French author and aviator disappeared, one New Yorker is determined to keep Antoine de Saint-Exupéry alive.
- RA Lafferty – the secret sci-fi genius more than ready for a comeback: A reissue of the US science fiction writer RA Lafferty’s stories sold out rapidly this year, and his fans, including Neil Gaiman, hope to see his novels reprinted.
- Six Things We Learned About Interstellar and Science From the Mobile Game (and Trailers)
- Star Wars on Trial: Do Myths Teach Us? If So, What Have We All Learned From Star Wars?
- Terminator: Genisys Will Not Be Rated-R, Here’s Why
- Women of the Weird: Works of weird fiction to enjoy in the build up to Halloween.
- Balloon artist creates 30-foot replica of iconic Thunderbird 3
- Check out this gorgeous limited edition art for 13 classic horror movies.
- H.R. Giger’s Original Paintings For Alien Will Haunt Your Dreams
- Rocket & Groot Conquer all the Covers! in this gallery from Tor.com
More Fun Stuff
- How The Maze Runner Should Have Ended
- Infographic: Artificial Intelligence – Good and Evil
- Read an excerpt from Champion of the Scarlet Wolf by Ginn Hale at Tor.com.
- Read an excerpt from Young Woman in a Garden by Delia Sherman at Tor.com.
- Ten Best Literary TED Talks of the Year: a round-up of our favorite literary TED talks.
- Watch Edge Of Tomorrow Deleted Scenes Feature Tom Cruise Adapting To His New Situation
- Watch a trailer for Disney’s super-secret new project Tomorrowland