Interviews & Profiles
- Adventures in SciFi Publishing interviews Sarah Chorn of Bookworm Blues.
- John Locke interviews Frank Robinson, author of The Donor.
- The Masters Review interviews Ellen Datlow, editor of The Best Horror of the Year.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Dave Zeltserman, author of The Boy Who Killed Demons.
- Nicky Peacock interviews DelSheree Gladden, author of Wicked Hunger.
- Nicky Peacock interviews Randy McCharles, author of The Necromancer Candle.
- Reddit recently held an AMA for the authors of the Mars One feasibility analysis.
- Reddit recently hosted an AMA for Erin M. Evans, author of Fire in the Blood.
- Tor.com interviews Brian Staveley, author of The Emperor’s Blades.
- Weightless Books interviews Erica L. Satifka, author of “The Silent Ones” in this month’s issue of Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet.
- How Soon Will the Majority of Books Be Self-Published?
- Lemony Snicket Rallies Support for Indie Bookstores
- Tom Doherty and George R.R. Martin to Be the First Recipients of Harris Award
Events & Event News
- Screenwriter Morgan Gendel and the Museum of Science Fiction in Washington, DC will present a three-evening workshop on Creating the Next Sci-Fi TV Series.
- Young Explorers Adventure Guide – Science Fiction for a Middle Grade Audience. An anthology to bring the stars to a new generation!
- 5th Passenger – an original science fiction horror feature featuring with cast members from Star Trek, Stargate, and Strong Female Lead!
- BARRIER – A feature length sci-fi film about the dangers of tampering with human physiology.
- Latino/a Rising – the first collection of U.S. Latino/a science fiction and fantasy.
- Real life hoverboard introduced via Kickstarter campaign
- 7 of the Most Terrifying Dystopias in Literature
- 7 Reasons Fantasy Is Better When Funny, according to the Huffington Post.
- Charlie Stross bemoans The Curse of Laundry.
- How Lauren Beukes Turned Me into a Horror Reader
- How Terminator: Genisys Explains That Really Old Looking Arnold Schwarzenegger
- The Huffington Post suggests 5 Must-Read Ghost Stories for Halloween.
- Imaginative Anthropology: In Celebration of Ursula K. Le Guin
- Is Superman being shortchanged by the DC movie universe?
- John DeNardo explains When a Book is More Than a Book
- Literary Moments in Star Trek: The Next Generation [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Meet the Aliens and Heroes of a Truly Original Sci-Fi World
- The Problem With Current Sci-Fi Films and What We Should Learn From Watching Moon.
- Tor.com offers this round-up of Late October New Releases.
- The Washington Post suggests Three sci-fi books to rattle your October.
- The Way James Cameron Worked Arnold Schwarzenegger Into Terminator: Genisys is Very Sweet
- What would make an Amazon competitor competitive? Two words, friends: free cake.
- Why Alien: Isolation Proves There Deserves to Be Another Alien Movie
- Why AMC’s Humans Is A Safer Bet On British Sci-Fi Than The Prisoner Was
- Why is today’s teen fiction not as diverse as it could be? Site member Scouting for Books surveys contemporary teen fiction to understand why it is not as diverse as it could – and should – be, and argues that looking to the past may provide an answer.
- Why science fiction comics are better than sci-fi movies: Forget “X-Men” and “Guardians of the Galaxy”—read these mind-bending comics instead.
- BookRiot has posted a gallery of 15 Awesome Bookish Jack O’Lanterns
- 21 Books with Psychedelic Covers [via Paul Di Filippo]
More Fun Stuff
- 8 Terrifying Ghost Stories
- ARES is a new tabletop wargame technology by the US Army. STTC briefing. A modern take on one of the oldest forms of simulation: drawing stuff in the ground with a stick. Gary Gygax had a sandtable in his basement when creating D&D in the 70s, here’s some recent pics of it.
- Check out the exclusive first poster for Ambition at SciFi Now.
- Doctor Who Game Will Teach Kids How to Code
- Download a Free Romulus Buckle Story from The Steampunk User’s Manual!
- Folding Origami Solar Panels Could Be Headed to Space
- Read an excerpt from Child of Earth by David Gerrold at Tor.com.
- Read an excerpt from The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley at Tor.com.
- Read an excerpt from This Chance Planet by Elizabeth Bear at Tor.com.
- Read the short story “Alan Bean Plus Four” by Tom Hanks at The New Yorker.
- The Upturned Microscope compares Real vs Movie Scientists in a funny web comic.