Interviews & Profiles
- Brian Howe interviews William Gibson, author of The Peripheral.
- Carolina Book Beat interviews James Maxey, author of Nobody Gets the Girl.
- Clarkesworld interviews Jo Walton, author of Among Others.
- Flavorwire interviews William Gibson, author of The Peripheral.
- FoxSports interviews Clark Gregg, who portrays Agent Colsen on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
- Joss Whedon talks feminism and Avengers leaks with Vulture: “It’s an ugly time because change is happening. It would be lovely to be living after the change has happened.”
- Reddit is hosting an AMA for Bill Nye, author of Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation.
- Suvudu interviews James Luceno, author of Star Wars: Tarkin.
- Suvudu interviews Steven Erikson, author of Willful Child.
- Darren Aronofsky bags ‘best screenplay’ at Cli-Fi Awards, the Cliffies
- New ‘Orphan Works’ Rule in UK Makes Millions of Creative Works Available for Public Display
- Why we need an e-book DRM DMCA exemption: It’s that time again. Ars Technica reports that the Copyright Office is accepting petitions on activities to exempt from the DMCA’s anti-circumvention provisions, making it legal to crack DRM for certain restricted purposes.
Events & Event News
- Rudy Rucker will hold a reading for his short story “Laser Shades” Saturday, November 8th at Borderlands Books in San Francisco, California.
- 2031 Film – a Sci/Fi Short film set in a post war zone. Which Droid would you trust in 2031?
- Attack on Space: Live Action – a sci-fi rendition of the anime Attack on Titan, reintroduced with an original intergalactic plot and brand new threats.
- 6 Times Ultron Kicked The Avengers’ Asses
- Alien’s Neil Marshall praises Ridley Scott’s sci-fi classic.
- Amanda Palmer on why fans choose to pay artists they love.
- Amazon’s Impact on Publishing? It’s Complicated: “Offering equal measures of thoughtful and contradictory commentary, a Wednesday night panel called “Will Amazon Lead Us to the Golden Age of Books?,” at the New America Foundation in NYC, gave an encompassing picture of the publishing industry’s conflicted–perhaps even tortured–responses to Amazon, and its tactics.”
- Another Word: Free Advice from a Full-Time Author. Worth Every Penny Paid
- Doctor Who series 8: the big questions for Death In Heaven
- Hugh Howey corrects assumptions about the book trade
- io9 pretends to have found 20 Doctor Who Stories That Are Based On Real Science. I think someone doesn’t really understand what qualifies as “real science.”
- Max Gladstone talks about David Mitchell and “anti-fantasy!”
- Mental Floss shares some deep thoughts on The Twilight Zone.
- The Most Exciting New Science Fiction And Fantasy Books In November
- The Percy Jackson Problem – In the lecture, which was reprinted in the Guardian, Gaiman came out in favor of what might be called the “just so long as they’re reading” camp.
- “Scientology and space opera: A new scholarly approach” by Susan Raine
- The Top Ten best Lovecraftian comics – plus one or two that should be there, and maybe minus one that shouldn’t be?
- “We’re All Dreaming,” Arctor Said: Drugs in Science Fiction, from the 1960s to the Present.
- Women Rise in Sci Fi (Again): This year’s major science-fiction awards had strong female representation, but don’t call it a feminist victory for the genre just yet.
- Star Wars Coffee Cups by Sam Wolk
More Fun Stuff
- Cover Reveal: Half A King, Half The World by Joe Abercrombie
- Don’t Worry, Nathan Fillion Has A Plan For The Zombie Apocalypse, And Here It Is
- “Marvel: 75 Years, from Pulp to Pop!” Is Online to Watch in its Entirety
- Nathan Fillion is Already Assembling His Zombie Apocalypse Team
- The Ohio State Marching Band Nov. 1 halftime show: They Came from Outer Space.
- Post-apocalyptic Seinfeld story ideas and Seinfeld: The Purge are both actual things.
- Read an excerpt from Heritage of Cyador by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. at Tor.com.
- Read an excerpt from A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray at Tor.com.
- Watch footage from behind the scenes Avengers: Age Of Ultron.
- Watch an Extended “Agent Carter” trailer.
- The Word “Badass” Doesn’t Even Cover This Cylon Centurion Cosplay