Interviews & Profiles
- Adventures in SciFi interviews Chris Pourteau, Jennifer Ellis and Editor David Gatewood of Tales from Pennsylvania.
- Agony Column interviews Tad Williams, author of Sleeping Late on Judgement Day.
- Den of Geek interviews Evangeline Lilly, star of The Hobbit and Ant-Man.
- Fantasy Scroll Mag interviews Cat Rambo, author of Events at Fort Plentitude.
- Fantasy Scroll Mag interviews William Meikle, author of The Invasion.
- Functional Nerds interviews Rajan Khanna, author of Falling Sky.
- Lightspeed Magazine interviews Kim Harrison, author of The Witch with No Name.
- Yahoo! Movies interviews Tim Burton: “…how many times can you say ‘you’re wearing a funny costume’ with the tights and stuff? That’s been going on for 20 years now.”
- Arthur Machen collection at risk: “The public library at Newport, Gwent, houses a splendid Arthur Machen collection, and an argument can be made for its international significance. The library is now under threat of closure. The local council are considering a plan to replace it with much smaller local hubs. [via Andrew Porter]
- Audrey Niffenegger to curate ghost story collection
- Methane “belches” detected on Mars – a gas that could hint at past or present life.
- Sci-fi artist Roy Scarfo died at age 88 died Monday, December 8, of pancreatic cancer. Many of his drawings appeared in The Inquirer and New York Times in the early 1960s, giving the country its first taste of what interplanetary travel might look like and how future space colonists might live inside asteroids.
Events & Event News
- Good news! “Futurama” is still cancelled! But the cast is getting back together to perform classic “Futurama” scenes live on-stage, take your questions in a Q&A, and general tomfoolery. John DiMaggio (Bender), Billy West (Fry, Zoidberg, Professor Farnsworth, Zapp Brannigan), Maurice LaMarche (Kif, Morbo, Lrrr), and Phil LaMarr (Hermes Conrad) will appear on Friday January 30, 2015 from 10:00 – 11:30 PM as part of SF Sketchfest at Marines Memorial Theatre in San Francisco, CA! Get your tickets in advance
- FreeSpace Tactics – The officially licensed tactical miniatures game inspired by Interplay’s FreeSpace video game series!
- Lifehacker graphic novel – A noir detective story with a modern twist. Hacker turned private investigator goes Away From Keyboard to track down a serial killer.
- ZNA – Next gen cooperative survival boardgame in a unique post-apocalyptic setting.
- The 10 Best And 10 Worst Science Fiction And Fantasy Movies Of 2014
- Doctor Who Christmas Specials: are they getting nerdier? Yup.
- A few thoughts on where heroes come from from the Gollancz Blog
- The Grand Masters’ Reading List: “Don’t look now, but the holiday season is upon us. As the northern half of the Earth prepares to curl up somewhere warm and read a good book…” Here’s a list of all the books you’ve been meaning to read.
- How NASA Could Build A Cloud City Over Venus
- How Ridley Scott’s Recent Films Link to Blade Runner
- How to reboot I Am Legend: An open letter to Warner Bros
- Jason Sanford: “I’ve made every mistake an author can make in their writing career.”
- Kindle Post’s Richard Farr share his Recommended Reading List
- Paul Di Filippo reviews Undercity by Catherine Asaro at Locus Online.
- Reply to Charles Baxter’s “The Hideous Unknown of H. P. Lovecraft”
- Saga is the must-have graphic novel of 2014. As a reader, I can totally vouch for this.
- Should we criminalise robotic rape and robotic child sexual abuse?
- The Star Wars Christmas TV special is well known around these parts. But last week the CBC posted the first ever oral history of Christmas in the Stars: The Star Wars Christmas Album featuring interviews with producer Tony Bongiovi, composer Maury Yeston and C-3PO actor Anthony Daniels.
- Virtual reality is exploding at this year’s Sundance Film Festival
- What Is the Best Kurt Vonnegut Book? [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Who Owns The Hunger Games, Liberals or Conservatives?
- The Avengers Reimagined as Star Wars Droids
- The Best Replica Of The New Three-Bladed Lightsaber Thus Far
- Chibi-fied Lego Vehicles Are Brilliantly Cute
- Doctor Who series 8 concept art is dark – very dark indeed
- Professional Swordsmen Demonstrate How to Fight with The Crossguard Lightsaber
More Fun Stuff
- Firefly Meets Alien In, “Flight of the Binturong,” a webcomic about a Spacefaring Rig
- Listen to Neil Gaiman Read A Christmas Carol Just as Dickens Read It
- Panther Moderns song “M*Unt@in *F Skullz” featuring John Shirley on vocals.
- Read an excerpt from Half-Resurrection Blues by Daniel José Older at Tor.com.
- Robot arm wins at Rock Paper Scissors, knows key to Sarah Connor
- Watch a trailer for the found footage invasion flick Alien Outpost.