Free fiction NEVER STOPS! So let’s try and catch up… with even more to come.
Got a hot Free Fiction Tip? Tell me here
Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Free SF/F/H Fiction Newsletter
What’s Special About Today’s Free Fiction?
- Apex Magazine #68 – January 2015
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #163 – December 25, 2014
- Clarkesworld Magazine #100 – January 2015
- The Irreal Cafe #52 – Fall 2014
- Kaleidotrope Winter 2015
- Lovecraft eZine #33 – December 2014
- SQ Mag #18
- Apex Magazine #68 – January 2015 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies #163 – December 25, 2014 [Fantasy Magazine]
- Clarkesworld Magazine #100 – January 2015 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- “A Universal Elegy” by Tang Fei, Translated by John Chu [Science Fiction]
- “An Exile of the Heart” by Jay Lake [Science Fiction]
- “Cat Pictures Please” by Naomi Kritzer [Science Fiction]
- “Ether” by Zhang Ran, Translated by Carmen Yiling Yan and Ken Liu [Science Fiction]
- “Laika’s Ghost” by Karl Schroeder [Science Fiction – from 2010]
- “The Apartment Dweller’s Bestiary” by Kij Johnson [Speculative Fiction]
- “The Long Goodnight of Violet Wild” by Catherynne M. Valente [Science Fiction]
- “The Sledge-Maker’s Daughter by Alastair Reynolds (audio)” by Alastair Reynolds [Speculative Fiction]
- “This Wind Blowing, and This Tide” by Damien Broderick [Science Fiction – from 2009]
- “Three Cups of Grief, by Starlight” by Aliette de Bodard [Science Fiction – also available in audio]
- @Cosmos Magazine: “Science fiction: Undeleted” by Aidan Doyle [Science Fiction]
- @Daily Science Fiction: “Love in a Chinese Room” by Terra LeMay [Fantasy]
- @Escape Pod:
- @GigaNotoSaurus: “Greys of War” by Sara Puls [Science Fiction – also available as eBook]
- The Irreal Cafe #52 – Fall 2014 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- Kaleidotrope Winter 2015 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- @Kasma SF: “Shadows Among the Jewels” by Sarah Hendrix [Science Fiction]
- Lovecraft eZine #33 – December 2014 [Lovecraftian Horror Magazine]
- “A Sense of Time” by Pete Rawlik
- “Books (Misc.)” by Steven Prizeman
- “Monarch of the Mountains” by Matthew Warner
- “Rain Blush” by Neil Murrell
- “Song in the Dark” by Andrew Jack
- “That Which Dwells Beneath” by Andrew Nicolle
- “The Pnakotic Puzzle” by Josh Reynolds
- “The Story of Herr Hackenschmidt” by Benjamin Welton
- @Mad Scientist Journal: “Corpse Interred in Mozart’s Tomb Might Not Be Mozart, Authorities Say” by Diana Parparita [Science Fiction]
- SQ Mag #18 [Speculative Fiction Magazine]
- “Ears Prick Up “ by Laird Barron [Science Fiction]
- “KFP” by George Sandison [Science Fiction]
- “Like Clockwork” by Tim Major [Steampunk]
- “Robert Fairweather and the Wrong Ticket” by Mark Rookyard [Steampunk]
- “The Calling” by John W. Oliver [Horror/Thriller]
- “The Carbonite’s Daughter” by Deryn Pittar [Steampunk]
- “The Visitors” by Michelle Ann King [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Author’s Site: “These Tomorrows” by Jeff Patterson [Science Fiction]
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows:
- “Bright Ridge Corridor” by Ian Hill [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Divinity Rescinded” by Duncan Shields [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Fideles Regenerati” by Steve Smith [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Final Moments” by Bob Newbell [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Frblls” by Gray Blix [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Give and Give” by Steve Smith [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Daily Science Fiction:
- @Every Day Fiction:
- @Beneath Ceaseless Skies Podcast #140: “Until The Moss Has Reached Our Lips” by Matt Jones [Fantasy]
- Beware the Hairy Mango #250 – “S’Lesses” by Matthew Sanborn Smith [Mangohhhh]
- @Clarkesworld Magazine:
- Drabblecast #346 – “Remission” by M.M. Pryor [Fantasy]
- @Escape Pod:
- @Far Fetched Fables:
- #36 –“The Price of Glamour” by Steve Berman and “The Magikkers” by Terry Doweling [Fantasy]
- #37 –“The Effigy Engine: A Tale of the Red Hats” by Scott Lynch [Fantasy]
- @Hypnobobs: “The Step” by EF Benson [Ghost Story – from 1934]
- PodCastle #345 – “Makeisha In Time” by Rachael K. Jones [Fantasy]
- Pseudopod #419 – “Nurse” by Thomas Kearnes [Horror]
- Tales To Terrify #154 – “Periphery People” by Sara Reinke and “First Words” by Bryn Fortey [Horror]
Audio – Radio Dramas
- @Boxcars711 Old Time Radio Pod: X Minus One –“Caretaker” [Science Fiction Radio Drama – from 1957]
- @Relic Radio:
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
Bringing Stella Home (Gaia Nova #1) by Joe Vasicek
The New Gaian Empire is crumbling. A barbarian star fleet from the outer reaches of space is sweeping across the frontier stars, slagging worlds and sowing chaos. Soon, they will threaten the very heart of civilized space.
James McCoy never thought he would get caught up in the Hameji wars. The youngest son of a merchanter family, he just wants the same respect as his older brother and sister. But when the Hameji battle fleets conquer his home world and take them away from him, all of that is shattered forever.
No prisoner has ever escaped from the Hameji alive, but James isn’t going to let that stop him. He’ll do whatever it takes to save his family—even if it means losing everything in the process.
[Space Opera Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Linear Shift, Part 1 by Paul B Kohler
No one said time travel would be easy.
Peter Cooper, a widowed father of two whose life is crumbling around him—until a bizarre encounter with a desperate Army general launches him on a risky mission: to go back to 1942 and change a moment in time. The repercussions will almost certainly alter the conclusion of World War II. But will the ripple effects stop there? And what kind of life will Peter return to?
[Time Travel Serial – First Episode – Amazon]
Sky Hunter (Targon Tales #1) by Chris Reher
Air Command pilot Nova Whiteside is assigned to a remote outpost to guard the construction of a new tethered orbiter, Skyranch Twelve, against rebel sabotage. The difference between the well-ordered Union air fields and this dusty garrison is made painfully clear when she runs afoul a brutal commander of ground troops. Aboard the elegant new space station not all runs according to protocol and she soon suspects that more than farming is being done up there. When she uncovers the treacherous and illicit schemes taking place, it seems that local riots are the least of their troubles.
[Space Opera Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
This Changes Everything (The Spanners Series #1) by Sally Ember
Dr. Clara Ackerman Branon, 58, begins having secret visits from holographic representations of beings from the Many Worlds Collective, a consortium of planet and star systems in the multiverse. When Earth is invited to join the Collective, the holos choose Clara as liaison between Earth and the Many Worlds Collective to make the secret visits public and guide Earth’s new leaders. While Earthers adjust their beliefs and ideas about life, religion, culture, identity and everything they think and are, rebellions and conflicts arise. The Collective works with Clara to create the Psi-Warriors who fight the leaders of the resistance, the Psi-Defiers. With multiple re-sets needed to revise the past and future to save lives, in which of the timelines in the multiverse does her love, Epifanio Dang, get to be with Clara? Over Clara’s thirty-year term as Chief Communicator, Earthers must undergo major transformations.
[Science Fiction Romance Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction – Young Adult
Run (The Hunted: Book One) by Patti Larsen
Sixteen-year-old Reid thinks life is back to normal. His sister Lucy pulls herself together and cuts him free from a year of foster care. She promises to take care of him, that her new boss and her new life are what they both needed to start again. Until Reid is taken in the middle of the night, dumped in a wild stretch of forest far from home with no idea why he is there. Lost and afraid, he learns to run from the hunters who prowl the darkness, their only pleasure chasing down kids like him. And killing them.
[YA Science Fiction Adventure Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian
Free eBooks – Fantasy
Blood Skies (Book 1) by Steven Montano
In a world where nightmares stalk the earth and the few survivors must battle the vampire legions of the Ebon Cities, a team of soldiers races to save mankind when a traitor threatens to destroy the future of humanity.
[Dark Fantasy Novel – First of Series – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Child of the Ghosts by Jonathan Moeller
When her life is torn apart by sorcery and murder, young Caina Amalas joins the mysterious Ghosts, the legendary spies and assassins of the Emperor of Nighmar. She learns the secrets of disguise and stealth, of assassination and infiltration. But even that might not be enough to save her. For the evil that destroyed her family seeks to devour the entire world…
[Dark Fantasy Novel – Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Smashwords]
Grave Girl by Amy Cross
When Sam Marker ran away from her old life, all she needed was a job and somewhere to live. Anything would do. And then, one fateful day, she saw that the town of Rippon was looking for a new gardener…
Unfortunately for Sam, the ‘garden’ is actually a cemetery, and it just so happens to contain the deadliest grave in the world. As she tries to adjust to her new life in the sleepy little town, Sam finds herself increasingly drawn into a strange double life. Dark forces are gathering in Rippon, seeking access to the Devil’s grave, and soon she finds herself trapped in the middle of a struggle that could decide the fate of the world.
[Dark Urban Fantasy Novel – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Superhero
Bloom (The Bloom Series #1) by A.P. Kensey
Chosen individuals have been gifted with extraordinary abilities in order to restore balance to the world.
Haven Kincaid is seventeen. After moving away from her friends before the start of her senior year, she struggles to fit in at her new school. When the boy of her dreams shows interest, she finally has a chance to be normal—but Haven is more different than she realizes. After a tragic loss and a deep betrayal, she is kidnapped by a sinister group that will do anything to extract a deadly ability she can barely control—even if they kill her in the process.
Colton Ross is fresh out of high school. Driven by a desire to escape his abusive father and haunted by the memory of an absent mother, he moves to New York City to start over. When a favor for his friend backfires and he ends up in jail, Colton is bailed out by a mysterious businessman who offers him the chance to strengthen his new-found power and discover the truth about his past—a truth that will set him on a deadly quest.
Bloom is an action-packed fantasy adventure that tells the story of two young people surviving in a dangerous world. As their journeys unfold and collide, they must risk their lives to defeat an evil that threatens to destroy everything they hold dear.
[Superhero Novel – First of Series – Amazon]