Interviews & Profiles
- My Bookish Ways interviews Kristi Charish, author of Owl and the Japanese Circus.
- The New Yorker editor Willing Davidson talks to Junot Díaz and Karen Russell about the difficulties of writing short stories.
- The Paris Review interviews Stephen King, author of Mr. Mercedes.
- Reddit recently held an AMA for Will Wight, author of Of Sea and Shadow.
- Suvudu has a video of Pierce Brown reading and discussing his book, The Golden Son.
- USA Today interviews George Lucas, who reveals that he wanted to direct Episode 7.
- Adam Christopher announced he’ll be writing Elementary tie-in novels for Titan Books
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Leads VFX Feature Nominations
- Ghost in the Shell Release Date Set for 2017
- Jean-Luc Godard’s Alphaville is getting a remake
Events & Event News
- Science Fiction Convention Listing & Film Diary 2015 -’16 from SF2 Concatenation
- Alien Nation – The genetic war seems far away to recent graduate Clara Spinner, but it’s about to get personal. “Weighing in at about 320 pages, this book is almost ready for prime time. I am seeking help to cover final publishing expenses.”
- Golden Age Sci-Fi Comic Book Cover Playing Cards – We are bringing classic golden sci-fi comic book graphics to high quality playing cards.
- Book Review: Telegraph & Argus calls Eric Brown’s steampunk novel Jani and the Greater Game an “Adventurous new take on history.”
- 7 Futuristic Predictions From 1968 That Came True
- 23 words we need for book lovers, but that don’t yet exist.
- Brian McClellan on The Psychology of Being a Full Time Author
- British Fantasycon convention report from Concatenation
- Convention Review: The 25th Festival of Fantastic Films
- Cracked suggests 10 Ways To Fix The Horror Movie Genre
- Given that we’re still not over being scared of velociraptors…we may need to sit Jurassic World out, at least until we install Raptor-proof door knobs.
- The Hit Book That Came From Mars: The Martian started as a self-published blog, and became a major motion picture.
- A look at 2001: A Space Odyssey and its correct assumptions of technology and devices. A ‘then vs now’ on Stanley Kubrick’s accurate predictions
- Margaret Atwood, Michael Morpurgo ‘alarmed’ Oxford Junior Dictionary has dropped nature words. I probably could have appreciated the article more if I could remember what the word “nature” meant.
- Neil Gaiman Shares His Thoughts On How to Become a Writer [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Need a crit partner to love/tear apart (lovingly) your manuscript? Maggie Stiefvater’s 2015 Critique Partner Love Connection is now live, so go sign up!
- NPR on James Tiptree Jr., Feminist, Pioneer, and The Unlikely Queen Of Sci-Fi. Alice B. Sheldon found literary success by using the pen name to write science fiction.
- Orwell’s World — 65 years since George Orwell died, he has never been bigger. His phrases are on our lips, his ideas are in our heads, his warnings have come true.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Odds-On to be the Highest-Grossing Film of 2015.
- TIME’s “100 Best Young Adult Books Of All Time” Is Very White… And Not Very YA
- Trekspertise explains The Trouble With Villains.
- Why We Need a World War Z TV Miniseries
- Wired asked psychiatrists to Analyze Gotham’s Unhinged Bad Guys.
- Wonder Woman: Learning to Love the Comic Behind the Icon [via Paul Di Filippo]
- “#DarthDays” is a daily project by Evanston, Illinois-based artist George Folz where he translates scenes from the first six Star Wars films “into stand-alone comic panels in 90 minutes or less.” More panels from his project are available to view on his Tumblr and the #Darthdays hashtag on Facebook.
- The Doctor and Clara t-shirt from Shirtoid
More Fun Stuff
- Assimilate All The Ice With This Borg Silicone Ice Tray
- Astronomers make the best acronyms for serious things ever.
- D. J. David B. Spins Comics-Tunes: The Astonishing Ant Man!
- “Dying Light” is zombie parkour at its best!
- Feeling defeated? Little writing monsters got you down? Banish your doubts with a listen to Die, Vampire, Die! (NSFW)
- Jurassic Park Barbasol Cryogenics Canister by Lion FX
- Listen to Babylon 5 Ambient Engine Noise for 12 Hours.
- Spring edition of SF2 Concatenation is now up packed with news and reviews.
- These temporary Firefly tattoos will probably last longer than the series did. Ouch.
- Watch a a funny animated glimpse at What the Crossguard Lightsaber Scene From ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Might Look Like
- Watch a trailer for Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Watch this featurette on the Making of the Interstellar Soundtrack.