Interviews & Profiles
- Fast Forward interviews Paolo Bacigalupi, author of Zombie Baseball Beatdown.
- HeroComplex interviews Mark Hamill, co-star of Kingsman.
- Portland Press Herald interviews Laura van den Berg, author of Find Me.
- The Sacramento Bee interviews Dean Koontz, author of Saint Odd.
- Suvudu interviews Kelly Link, author of Get in Trouble.
- UT Sandiego interviews Stephanie Diaz, author of Rebellion.
- Experts Gather To Discuss Whether We Should Send Messages To Aliens
- George R.R. Martin Clears Up The Rumors About The Next Game Of Thrones Book Publishing In 2015 [via Paul Di Filippo]
Events & Event News
- Artist Dave Gibbons (Watchmen) will appear at JHU Comic Books on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at noon for a special signing event of the smash hit comic Kingsman (The Secret Service), which was recently adapted for film. RSVP on Facebook!
- Artist Joe Benitez will appear at Golden Apple Comics on Saturday February 21, 2015 from 1:00 till 3:00 PM to celebrate the relaunch of Lady Mechanika.
- Explore the World of Panem in “The Hunger Games: The Exhibition” thru January 2016.
- Save the Sci Fi: The Next Generation! – Saving rare, forgotten, out-of-print vintage science fiction for the digital future, one e-book at a time!
- Slow Boat to Fast City – Raygun Gothic pulp sci-fi! – Fund editing and cover art for a pulp sci-fi anthology. It’s Ellroy meets Bradbury with a splash of Project Blue Book!
- Book Review: Pretty F*cking Badass: The AudioBookaneers Reviews Ancillary Sword
- Movie Review: The Best Part of Jupiter Ascending Is the Paperwork
- Movie Review: Tor.com argues that Jupiter Ascending is a High-Concept Sci-Fi Explosion
- 7 Things You Think You Know About Sherlock Holmes, the first fandom.
- The Absence of Women: Marie Brennan collects and presents data on the women characters in Patrick Rothfuss’s The Name of the Wind.
- The Acceleration of Acceleration: How The Future Is Arriving Far Faster Than Expected
- Camera Experts Designed a New Kind of 360° Rig for Jupiter Ascending
- Gizmodo asks When Superintelligent AI Arrives, Will Religions Try to Convert It? Giulio Prisco responds in a piece on Religion in the time of superintelligence.
- HeUGuys names The Female Directors Who Should Helm a Superhero Movie
- Jupiter Ascending: The L.A. Times takes a look at The Wachowskis’ long journey
- Kubricks’ 2001: One Man’s Incredible Odyssey: “With today’s article I’ve decided to cover the truly outstanding visual effects and design work from one of the single most influential and remarkable pieces of cinema of the twentieth century – Stanley Kubricks’ 2001-A SPACE ODYSSEY – a film that gets better and better with the passing years.”
- Meet the people who have volunteered to die on Mars: Thousands of people are competing to be the first humans to travel to Mars and colonize it. The only catch–they can never come back. Ever.
- The Most Hilariously Damning Review Of The Original Star Wars
- No, Jupiter Ascending Is Not Eddie Redmayne’s Norbit… even if it comes close.
- Oh, No, I Really Liked Jupiter Ascending confesses the HuffPo’s Christopher Rosen.
- Teens Crave Young Adult Books on Really Dark Topics (and That’s OK) says Time.
- Walter Isaacson On The Value of The Imitation Game
- Wanted improved on its inspiration by tossing it in the garbage.
- Your childhood entertainment is not sacred, argues The Dissolve.
- Groot Watercolor by Chicago-based Tony Moy
- Jupiter Ascending’s Spaceship Designs Are Even Cooler Than You Knew
More Fun Stuff
- Australia’s Perth Mint is celebrating Star Trek in 2015! They’re releasing a pair of coins commemorating the show on February 16. One features James T. Kirk’s handsome mug, while the other honors the U.S.S. Enterprise herself. You can find more information about the coins in the Mint’s monthly bulletin.
- Behind the scenes photos from the set of E.T.
- Check out the new poster for Chappie: “Humanity’s Last Hope Isn’t Human”
- George Lucas pranks James Earl Jones with star-studded Darth Vader audition video
- Here’s How VFX Artists Designed the Computers in Jupiter Ascending.
- How Predestination Made Jumping Through Time Look So Damn Good
- Infographic: How Star Wars Made US$27 Billion
- MythBusters’ Adam Savage Explains Why Interstellar’s TARS Is The Perfect Robot
- Geeky Pleasures Unleashes Online Shop to a Suspecting Public.
- Read an excerpt from The Violent Century by Lavie Tidhar at Tor.com.
- Secret stash of Moon artifacts found hidden in Neil Armstrong’s closet. The artifacts have been sent to the National Air and Space Museum for research and preservation. The article shows pictures of each one and where it was used in the Lunar Module. Even more detail over at NASA.gov!
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens desktop wallpaper
- Turns out that Deckard’s wife makes an appearance in the Blade Runner movie. I personally always thought that the movie was weaker for excluding her book sub-plot from the film.
- Watch a trailer for The Lazarus Effect starring Olivia Wilde.
- Why Last Action Hero Is Secretly Terrifying