Interviews & Profiles
- BuzzFeed interviews Emily St. John Mandel, author of Station Eleven.
- Dribble of Ink interviews Michael J. Sullivan, author of the upcoming The First Empire.
- Ginger Nuts of Horror interviews Craig Blends, author of Carny Folk.
- Ginger Nuts of Horror interviews Martin Rose, author of Bring Me Flesh, I’ll Bring Hell.
- The Grimdark Review interviews Anthony Ryan, author of Queen of Fire.
- The Once & Future Podcast interviews Cherie Priest, author of Maplecroft.
- The Qwillery interviews Viola Carr, author of The Diabolical Miss Hyde.
- Wasteland 2 interviews Megan Arkenberg, author of “Final Exam.”
- Wasteland 2 interviews Christie Yant, author of “The Revelation of Morgan Stern.”
- Wasteland 2 interviews David Brin, author of The Postman.
- 2015 Jim Baen Memorial Award Finalists
- E.C. Blake (a.k.a. Edward Willett)’s fantasy novel Masks (DAW Books) has been shortlisted in the Young Adult Literature and Regina Book Award categories of the 2015 Saskatchewan Book Awards.
- Call for Papers devoted to Names in SF, Fantasy, and Horror
- David Koepp has been hired by Sony to adapt the Sci-fi novel The Themis Files by author Sylvain Neuvel for the big screen.
- Iain Banks’s Unseen Poems Now in Print
- Sci-Fi Encounters: Winners of the SFR Galaxy Awards
Events & Event News
- Artist Joe Benitez will appear at Galaxy of Comics in Van Nuys, CA on Friday February 18, 2015 from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm to sign LADY MECHANIKA! RSVP on Facebook
- FAITH: The Sci-fi RPG – A sci fi RPG in a box. Played with cards. Shape your character and choose your God wisely to survive in a struggling Universe.
- Hive Five – A weird and funny science fiction novel about five members of a hive mind who are not very good at being a hive mind.
- Riftworld Chronicles – A genre-bending sci-fi/fantasy/comedy about a dimension-travelling wizard who teams up with a struggling journalist in the big city.
- Steampunk Nixie Clock MKII – Handmade In Walnut & Brass. Featuring 700+ Colours & GPS. 1850’s Looks Meets 1950’s Tech. No Assembly Required.
- Book Review: The Country Of Ice Cream Star is an audacious post-apocalyptic novel
- Movie Review: io9 says that Kingsman is characterized by “some of the most beautiful violence in movie history.” Meanwhile, Topless Robot claims Kingsman is “an offensive tonal mess.” Chances are, your enjoyment of the movie will hinge upon your appreciation (and understanding) of Mark Millar’s comics.
- Movie Review: “Jupiter Ascending is Bad and the Wachowskis Should Feel Bad.” says Observation Deck. “Sean Bean is in it and he doesn’t even die.”
- Movie Review: Jupiter Ascending Is The Worst Movie Ever Go See It Immediately.
- 10 villains who were supposed to come back… and never did.
- Captain Video and his Science Fiction Authors
- Doctor Who’s 13 unluckiest characters, as chosen by Radio Times.
- The HuffPo on The Hearts Of Mary Shelley
- How Cloud Atlas gets distracted by one big Plot Device
- Jonathan Franzen Says Young Adult Lit Equals “Moral Simplicity,” but fans argue that Genre Fiction Is All About Moral Complexity.
- Mark Hamill weighs in on J.J. Abrams vs George Lucas and talks Luke Skywalker
- The Nerdist remembers 7 Super Comic Book Couples.
- Open Culture attempts to Predict Which 21st Century Novels Will Enter the Literary Canon. Why doesn’t more science fiction make the cut in these types of lists?
- Science Fiction Writers on Writing Science at The Berkeley Science Review
- The Stepford Wives at 40: Slyly skewering gender roles before it was cool
- Ten Reasons to Write Short Stories Even Though the Pay is Peanuts
- The Top 10 Science Fiction Films of the 1990s, as chosen by Flickchart
- Why Reading is Smart — Especially if You Write, according to Amazing Stories.
- “Love is Like an Unfamiliar Shower,” explains Grant Snider of Incidental Comics.
- SFWA opens up to Indie Authors
- Star Wars Death Star Valentine Cookies
- Vladislav Ociacia’s Robot Renders Are Works Of Art
More Fun Stuff
- Crimson Peak trailer and poster are gorgeously Gothic
- The Future of Crime: Smartphone Tracking, Neurohacking, and AI Assisted Murder
- How Long Do You Have to Cut Off a Zombie-Bitten Limb?
- A Real-Life Batman Patrols the Streets of San Diego in Batmobile
- Read an excerpt from Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne at Suvudu.
- Read “The Road Not Taken” by Harry Turtledove. It supposes that FTL travel is actually easy but we’ve missed it, and other races found it and eventually reached Earth
- Read “The Transparency Project,” by Alissa Nutting, a free story from “Watchlist: 32 Short Stories by Persons of Interest,” short fiction about surveillance.
- Top 10 Nerdy Pick-Up Lines To Try On Valentine’s Day
- Watch a trailer for Crimson Peak, Guillermo del Toro’s first stab at Gothic horror.
- Watch a trailer for Crumbs, Ethiopia’s “first” post-apocalyptic film.
- Watch a trailer for Regression, starring Emma Watson and Ethan Hawke.
- Watch a trailer for Scream Queens, starring Emma Roberts and Jamie Lee Curtis.
- Watch a trailer for The Water Diviner, Russell Crowe’s directorial debut.
- Warpo brings sanity-destroying dinkiness with Legends of Cthulhu figures