Interviews & Profiles
- Barnes and Noble interviews Neal Asher, author of Dark Intelligence.
- The Coode Street Podcast interviews Kelly Link, author of Get In Trouble.
- Gingernuts of Horror interviews Tim Dry, author of Ricochet.
- io9 interviews David Robert Mitchell, author of It Follows. He explains how It Follows uses dread and beauty yo create the perfect monster movie.
- The Qwillery interviews Christy Fifield, author of Murder Ties the Knot.
- Tor.com interviews Damien Angelica Walters, author of Sing Me Your Scars.
- Disney Publishing Officially Rules out Star Wars Erotica. And once again, I find myself completely and utterly unappreciated in my own time.
- George RR Martin and Editor Bryan Thomas Schmidt team for historic anthology. Speculations K.C. will collect original and reprint science fiction, fantasy, and horror stories with Kansas City ties, from setting to author, on the occasion of MidAmeriCon II, the 2016 Kansas City Worldcon.
- News Lucy Lawless signs on for Ash vs. Evil Dead. Is that a new SHIP I see on the horizon? Why yes, it’s the USS Campless … err … Lawbell?
- Star Wars Introduces First LGBT Character Into Canon
- Station Eleven among finalists for PEN/Faulkner Prize.
Events & Event News
- AMC Announces Mega-Sized Marvel Movie Marathon
- MidSouthCon 33 will be held March 20 – 22 at the Hilton Memphis.
- Alien Frontiers Big Box – Alien Frontiers was funded on Kickstarter back in 2010. Since then, this gripping game of colonizing an alien world has grown to include two major expansions: Factions and Outer Belt, along with a galaxy of other fun additions. To celebrate, we’ve collected them all into the new Alien Frontiers Big Box.
- Hardback Editions of Thread Slivers and Thread Strands – Make the highly rated fantasy/science-fiction Golden Threads Trilogy into professional hardbacks.
- Unidentified Funny Objects 4 – The fourth annual anthology of humorous science fiction & fantasy, featuring dark humor by G.R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, & others.
- Book Review: Persona is a Frighteningly Plausible Near-Future Thriller
- Book Review: You have not read a truly digital book until you’ve read The New World.
- Web Series Review: “Powers” is a flawed but fascinating look at messed-up heroes.
- 5 Comics to Read Before Watching the New Series Powers
- 9 Weird Things We Learn About Luke’s Brain in Heir to the Jedi
- The AudioBookaneers offers its March Whispersync Deal Roundup: Pierre Grimbert, Oz Reimagined, The Palace Job, Invisible Cities, Libba Bray, Anne McCaffrey, Diana Gabaldon, Harry Turtledove, Ursula K. Le Guin, and more.
- Comparing the virtual realms of Inception and eXistenZ
- David Nickle’s horror novel Eutopia confronts the racial overtones of Lovecraftian fiction head on, revealing a terrifying story of the American eugenics movement and the brutality underbelly of utopianism.
- Den of Geek remembers The top 12 virtual reality movies of the 1990s
- These Futuristic Churches Will Fill Even Non-Believers With Awe
- George R.R. Martin says Emily St. John Mandel should get the Hugo
- Ideas of Mass Destruction: Daniel Abraham’s A Shadow In Summer
- io9 suggests 10 Terrible Movies That Absolutely Everyone Should See, to which I would add Bruce Campbell’s The Evil Dead.
- Philip K. Dick was right: we are becoming androids.
- There are Going To Be 20 Star Wars Book Prequels To The Force Awakens, which shall henceforth herein be referred to a “Lucas’ Revenge.”
- Why Doesn’t Bruce Wayne Retire Already?! asked no one ever.
- Lego CHAPPiE May Not Be The Harbinger Of Sentient A.I., But He Is Cute
- Zach King’s “Magic” Vines Compilation. What is this witchcraft?
More Fun Stuff
- Cover Art: Starborn by Lucy Hounsom
- Doctor Who TARDIS Umbrellas are now available for purchase
- Ever wonder how one eats a cheesburger in space? Wonder no longer.
- Infographic: Tom Cruise’s Deaths in Edge of Tomorrow.
- The on-line archives of Apex & Abyss Magazine of Speculative Fiction are now free.
- Robot dogs get funerals in Japan. Why? Because we’re live in the friggin future!
- Watch a book trailer for Zeroboxer by Fonda Lee at My Bookish Ways.
- Watch a trailer for the new Netflix series, Daredevil.
- Watch a trailer for Ex Machina. Pause at: 0:54, 1:22, 1:53, and 2:23 for Ava in full effect.
- Watch a trailer for Mr. Holmes, starring Ian McKellen.
- Watch a trailer for SELFLESS. “In this provocative psychological science fiction thriller, an extremely wealthy man dying from cancer undergoes a radical medical procedure that transfers his consciousness into the body of a healthy young man.”
- Watch the first episode of its original series “Powers” online. “Powers” follows Christian Walker (Sharlto Copley), a former superhero who now works for the LAPD apprehending people who didn’t get the memo about great power(s) coming with great responsibility.
- What Are Lightsaber Crystals? asks Star Wars Minute
- Where’s Waldo – orbital edition