Interviews & Profiles
- Bullspec interviews Lynne Hansen and Jeff Strand, authors of Pressure and The Return, to discuss The Nevermore Film Festival at the Carolina Theatre Durham.
- Galactic Chat interviews Pat Cadigan, author of Synners.
- The Mary Sue interviews Francesca Haig, author of The Fire Sermon.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Carrie Patel, author of The Buried Life.
- Unlikely Story interviews Barry King of “Those Who Gave Their Island to Survive.”
- The Watcher interviews Joss Whedon, director of Avengers.
- Former Firefly Stars Are Crowdfunding a Web Series about actors from a prematurely canceled sci-fi show. It is going to be super, super meta when this show gets cancelled.
- Ridley Scott’s son to helm sci-fi thriller Morgan, starring Kate Mara
- Today through Monday: The eBook edition of The Furnace by Timothy S. Johnston is only 99 cents. (Check your favorite eBoook outlet.)
Events & Event News
- Author John Jackson Miller appears at Powers Comics in Green Bay, Wisconsin on Saturday, March 14th to sign comics and novels including his latest, Star Trek: Takedown Signing! RSVP on Facebook
- Writer Brandon Seifert will appear at 8th Dimension Comics in Houston, Texas on Saturday, March 21st from 1:00 – 4:00 PM for an in-store signing of his work, including his new series “The Fly: Outbreak.” RSVP on Facebook
- Far Space Foundry – Manage the shuttles and docking bays of the Far Space Foundry to lead the Federation to success in this strategic game for 1-4 players.
- KITSC is the first Magnetic leviation Robot, with full autonomy and interactivity.
- Tesla vs. Edison – The War of Currents! 2-5 electricity innovators build routes, grow tech trees, and play the stock market in 20 minutes per player.
- Book Review: Is The Country of Ice Cream Star “Hunger Games for Grown-Ups”
- 10 female roles that defied stereotypes. Buffy appears on this list. How could she not?
- The 30 greatest superhero movies of all time: As voted for by Empire magazine readers. The Avengers comes in at No. 4.
- Chappie ponders future of humans in a world run on artificial intelligence
- Chappie suggests it’s time to think about the rights of robots
- Community in the Face of Tyranny: How a Boy with a Loaf of Bread and a Girl with a Bow Toppled an Entire Nation
- Harry Potter’s Forgotten Predecessor: 25 years ago, Neil Gaiman introduced another bespectacled teen boy with a magical destiny. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Here’s What Independence Day 2 Is About And Why It May Get A Name Change
- How Genre Fiction Became More Important Than Literary Fiction: The book war is over. The aliens, dragons, and detectives won.
- Introducing Tor’s New Home on iBooks
- Is Science Fiction Coming to Africa? Lauren Beukes, South African author and winner of the prestigious Arthur C. Clarke Award for Science Fiction in 2011, investigates.
- New sounds from South Africa and Nigeria’s urban science fiction could change the future of technology and the city.
- Read them first: Dystopian teen fiction to feed your fandom
- A Space Program Is Like Interstellar, But Made Of Cardboard And Fun
- Tor.com remembers Five Books Featuring Heroic Hackers
- The upside of no-see me: Invisibility and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. PopMatters tackles “Plato’s discussion of the Ring of Gyges, and the morally corrupting temptation of invisibility” in the context of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Watch Closely Everyone; I’m Going to Show You How To Kill a God
- Westworld Revisited: Look Back on the Original Movie Ahead of HBO’s Remake!
- Why Agent Carter Is So Much Better Than Agents of SHIELD
- Young Adult Films Will Never Die Out and Here’s Why [via Paul Di Filippo]
- The $200K Star Wars Painting No One Will Ever Buy
- This gorgeous statue imagines The Cybermen as men of stone, not steel.
- This new Insurgent IMAX art poster is gorgeous
More Fun Stuff
- Cover Reveal: Three Moments of an Explosion by China Miéville
- Cover art for The Cave Beneath the Sea by Edward Willett.
- Doctor Who’s greatest crossover videos – from Harry Potter and Buffy to Sherlock
- Don’t commit any erotic acts in this STAR WARS bed, or Disney will prosecute.
- Read the short story “The Thyme Fiend” by Jeffrey Ford at Tor.com.
- Watch Pop Culture and Superheroes Make Soccer a Lot More Interesting
- Watch a pitch for an animated series staring Sean Bean, The Untamed.
- Watch a trailer for the Back To The Future Documentary Back In Time.
- Watch a trailer for Blade Runner: The Final Cut theatrical release.
- Watch a trailer for the new space documentary Planetary.
- Why robots will be granted a license to kill in Japan and everywhere else.