As the heat builds, and clouds of pollen choke the skies, John E. O. Stevens, Fred Kiesche and Jeff Patterson find themselves of a mood to stare at the pretty pictures gracing the jackets and e-files of books and ponder how they came to be. To that end they have hobbled across the simmering landscape to seek out Irene Gallo, art director at Tor Books and Tor.com, to enlighten them on the process.
The discussion encompasses the relationship between book and cover, deadlines, fan feedback, and the aesthetics of different decades. Will we ever see embossed covers come back? And what does it take for a cover to impress John?
Irene also talks about her participation in the Illustration Master Class, and everyone recounts the culture they have recently consumed.
Run time: 1 hour 18 minutes.
- The Complete Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
- The Complete Mazalan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
- Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear
- The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi
- The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
- The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker
- Space is Just a Starry Night by Tanith Lee
- Nemesis Games by James S.A.Corey
- Fire with Fire by Charles Gannon
- Sisters of the Revolution edited by Ann VanderMeer & Jeff VanderMeer
- Ray Bradbury (Modern Masters of Science Fiction) by David Seed
- B.P.R.D.–A Plague of Frogs by Mike Mignola & Guy Davis
- Fred’s 2015: The Year in Books
- Fred’s 2015: The Year in Shorts
- Irene Gallo at Tor.com
- Irene Gallo’s “AMA” at Reddit
- Irene Gallo on the Sidebar podcast
- Illustration Master Class
- Galactic Patrol
- The Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series
- Rick Sternbach’s Known Space covers
- Silver Surfer: Dan Slott, Writer; Mike and Laura Allred, artists
- Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind: Shunryu Suzuki Roshi
- Graham Holliday: Eating Vietnam
- Injection by Warren Ellis & Declan Shalvey (Image)
- Sword of Sorrows by Gail Simone & Sergio Davila (Dynamite)
- “The Garden Beyond Her Infinite Skies” by Matthew Kressel, read by Kate Baker
- “Drink to Me Only with Labyrinthine Eyes” by Thomas Ligotti
© 2015 SF Signal.com
Tell us what you think – leave us a voicemail!
Can’t see the widget above? That’s okay – just call 720-277-9082 or shoot us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org