Fortune’s Rising by Sara King just came out on June 15th, and you can listen to an audiobook sample here (narrated by Allyson Johnson.)
Here’s what the book is about:
Under the supertech Coalition government, Fortune’s colonists are enslaved to harvest the highly valuable brain-enhancing drug Yolk, often losing their sanity and lives in the process. The population is dying off and the planet is becoming a police state whose only purpose is to harvest Yolk. But a revolution is in the air, fueled by an unlikely band of rebels:
- Anna Landborn, a brilliant, sociopathic child, and her quiet, lethally gifted sister, Magali;
- Runaway Joel, a virtuous military pilot turned tormented smuggler;
- Milar Whitecliff, a tattooed, chess-playing fugitive full of hatred and heart;
- Doberman, a simple robot in the throes of a startling transformation;
- and Tatiana Eyre, a captured Coalition soldier torn between loyalty and love.
As their paths and fates collide, the battle to spark a full-scale uprising is violently challenged by the Nephyrs, the government’s elite army of sadistic, near-indestructible cyborgs. But the prophecies of a mad soothsayer have foretold the coming of a hero destined to turn the tide—and the fight for freedom is just beginning.