Interviews & Profiles
- The Cybersecurity Podcast interviews Cory Doctorow, author of In Real Life.
- Scientific American interviews James S. A. Corey, author of Nemesis Games.
- Neil Gaiman discusses what makes stories last, how stories are alive, and how to create works that endure thanks to the magic of oral tradition.
- Serious Wonder interviews C. James Townsend, author of The Singularity & Socialism.
- Slate interviews Sam Esmail, creator of Mr. Robot.
- Steven Moffat On Dealing With Showrunner Hate.
- The Verge interviews Sam Vincent and Jonathan Brackley, writers of Humans.
- Why Send Humans to Space When We Can Send Robots? Noam Chomsky and Lawrence Krauss in an Origins Project dialogue over at Motherboard.
- Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto Contracted for Fourth Star Trek Film.
- Jack King, voice of Apollo 11, has died. He was 84. King, a former NASA Chief of Public Information and Public Affairs Officer, is remembered for having voiced the commencing countdown of, among hundreds of other NASA launches, perhaps the most famous space launch in human history: the launching of Apollo 11. Named as “the voice of launch control”, King’s presence and contributions are deeply woven into the beginnings of NASA. Indeed, save for that of Neil Armstrong’s, no voice is as indelibly etched in our collective memory of humankind’s move to space as Jack King’s. Recounting those halcyon days of NASA and the birth of the Space Age, here is one of King’s last interviews.
- This week, Google released a research paper chronicling one of its latest forays into artificial intelligence. It turns out that Google’s AI bot thinks the purpose of life is “to live forever.” I feel like this is the point at which history students of the future will ask why we didn’t begin dumping our computers into the ocean.
Events & Event News
- Steve Orlando is the writer for the current series of MIDNIGHTER from DC Comics and the sci-fi graphic novel UNDERTOW from Image Comics. He will appear at Escapist Comics in Berkeley, CA on Saturday, July 4th at 1:00 PM to sign comics. RSVP
- Writer David Walker will appear at Cosmic Monkey Comics in Portland, OR on Wednesday July 22, 2015 from 3:00 till 6:00 PM to sign the first issue of CYBORG from DC Comics. RSVP on Facebook
- Helionox – The Last Sunset – a movement based sci-fi deck building strategy game where great leaders vie for control in a shattered solar system.
- Petri Wars – An infectious game of deception, devouring and domination. Mutate and adapt your strategy to dominate the dish! For 2-4 players.
- Movie Review: Advantageous: A Dystopian Film That’s Packed With Hope.
- Movie Review: Advantageous is “The Movie Every Screwed Millennial Should Watch.”
- TV Review: Humans is a Robot Chiller for the Smartphone Era.
- TV Review: If You Like Intense Techno-Thrillers, You Need to Be Watching Mr. Robot.
- TV Review: Hacker Drama Mr. Robot Is Scary, Paranoia-Inducing, and Awesome.
- Echoing across ages: Shelley and Atwood, a review of Science, Gender and History.
- Are the scientists developing robots in danger of replicating the hit Channel 4 drama?
- First Reactions to Ant-Man Call It the “Most Human Marvel Film to Date.”
- If Hollywood won’t feature modern superheroines then it’s up to YA fiction.
- How Accurate Is Hacker Series Mr. Robot? More accurate than any previous fictional cyberpunk script, but that’s not a very high bar.
- How would the World’s Religions respond to the Singularity?
- Human Dawn: How To Survive the Robot Apocalypse.
- Inside Out’s Take on the Brain: A Neuroscientist’s Perspective.
- Mr. Robot shows how much hackers have changed in the popular imagination.
- Rotten Tomatoes remembers 24 Times Hollywood Got Hackers Wrong.
- Sci-Fi Writers Find Warmer Climate Amid Cuban Thaw.
- These Are the Dinosaurs Paleontologists Want to See in Movies.
- Threat from Artificial Intelligence not just Hollywood fantasy: Oxford academic Dr Stuart Armstrong warns humanity runs the risk of creating super intelligent computers that eventually destroy us all.
- The Water Knife: Post-Apocalyptic Future Could Become Reality All Too Soon.
- What Do These 5 Upcoming Sci-fi Movies Have to Tell Us About Our Own Future?
- Why Facebook Is Evil, According To Mindblowing New Series Mr. Robot.
- Why YA fiction needs to tell stories of mental illness.
- Lego version of the Battlestar Galactica Colonial Raptor and Colonial Viper.
- Jupiter Ascending Concept Arts by Allen Wei.
More Fun Stuff
- Discussion: It never fails to amaze how enthusiastic people still are about Babylon 5.
- NASA photo shows three crescent moons at same time. Wolf sweatshirt fans ecstatic.
- NASA to use holographic glasses on the International Space Station. Astronauts can now pretend to be somewhere other than inside a tiny room above the Earth along with several other socially awkward nerds.
- Own a Set of Bookends Made with Lumber from Ray Bradbury’s House.
- Read an excerpt from Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle at USA Today.
- Why modern CGI feels less real than 90’s or, Why Special Effects Peaked in the 90’s.