Interviews & Profiles
- Den of Geek interviews Colin Morgan and Gemma Chan of AMC’s sci-fi drama, Humans.
- The Galaxy Express interviews Lise MacTague, author of Depths of Blue.
- Lisa Haselton interviews Grant Reed and Gary Reed, authors of Funny Fruit.
- My Bookish Ways interviews James Knapp, author of Alice in No-Man’s Land.
- SFFWorld interviews Jo Zebedee, author of Abendau’s Heir.
- Tall Tale interviews Brian Fies of Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow?.
- Man Who Sold the Moon wins the Sturgeon Award!
- Pratchett’s daughter rules out Discworld follow-ons. [via Paul Di Filippo]
Events & Event News
- Justin Greenwood appears at Tr!ckster in Berkeley, CA on Friday, July 3, 2015 from 7:00 – 10:00 PM to showcase his art from The Fuse (Image)! RSVP on Facebook.
- Things From Another World in Beaverton, Oregon is hosting a signing with Tom Rogers, the artist of Action Lab’s ongoing Herald: Lovecraft & Tesla comic book series. Be sure to visit the Beaverton TFAW store on Wednesday, July 1st from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. to meet the artist and get a sketch! RSVP on Facebook.
- Eminent Domain: Battlecruisers & Exotica – a new expansion to Eminent Domain which is a stand-alone small box game in the Eminent Domain universe.
- Cosmic Kaboom – Sci-Fi Dexterity Game – Players fly (flick) their space ships around space, collecting energy to power up space bombs and eradicate their enemies.
- Book Review: B&N calls The Red: First Light a Scarily Plausible Military SF Thriller.
- Book Review: The Long Utopia by Terry Pratchett is a melancholy sci‑fi epic.
- Book Review: Lost on Mars by Paul Magrs review – a coming-of-age tale set in space.
- Book Review: Paul Di Filippo reviews A. Bertram Chandler’s Gateway to Never.
- 5 Deeply Disturbing Movies That You Need To Watch, But Only Once.
- Are we too hard on Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines? Nope.
- Did you spot the Studio Ghibli cameo in Avengers: Age of Ultron?
- The eerie robots of Humans hold a black mirror to our darkest fears.
- Eric Flint pleads to Bring The Structure Of The Hugo Awards Into The Modern World.
- Fantasy, science fiction, and the future of democracy. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- George R.R. Martin on Hugo Voting Continues.
- Joyce Carol Oates is concerned about the illegal poaching of dinosaurs. Obviously, she was joking. Wait, someone thought she was serious?
- July 2015 Must Reads in Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror.
- Jurassic World’s Most Horrific Scene, and Family Horror.
- Kit Reed explains How I Learned to Write. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Muslim fiction writers are turning to genres like sci-fi, fantasy, and comics.
- The Prime Question: “Star Trek derives its popularity from its positive view of the future, a future in which humanity has overcome poverty, prejudice and war, reached out to alien species and joined with them in a United Federation of Planets to explore the stars in peace and friendship. Camelot in outer space. More than an exciting concept for a series, this is an inspiring prospect for humanity.”
- Sci-Fi Helped Inspire Elon Musk to Save the World.
- Tor.com suggests Five Books about Human Enhancement.
- What Should Christopher Nolan Do Next?
- X Files Season 10: Your first look at modern day Mulder and Scully.
- Jurassic World Fan Art from JoBlo, The Nerdist.
- Jurassic World Fan Posters at The Geek Art Gallery and Imgur.
- Make your own Death Star piñata for some geektastic summer with this tutorial.
More Fun Stuff
- Grab a tissue and a blanket for your heart, then read this essay on how Calvin from “Calvin and Hobbes” was a very lonely child.
- “How not to build the Terminator” What really happens at the US Defence Agency’s annual robotics showdown, what are Amazon and Elon Musk doing in the crowd?
- John Coxon’s Hugo-inspired t-shirt design is available from Teespring.
- Listen To An Audience Reacting to Star Wars In 1977 star-wars-August-3-1977
- People of the Future come back to Earth from New Planet.
- Read an excerpt from The Dinosaur Lords by Victor Milán at Pat’s Fantasy Hotlist.
- To stop the robot uprising, just shut your door.
- Watch a trailer for LEGO Marvel’s Avengers.