This year’s Sidewise Awards for Alternate History have been announced:
- Ken Liu, “The Long Haul” (Clarkesworld, 11/14)
- Igor Ljubuncic, “The Girl with the Flaxen Hair” (Wars to End All Wars: Alternate Tales from the Trenches, Amazon Digital Services)
- Robert Reed, “The Principles” (Asimov’s, 4-5/14)
- Aaron Rosenberg, “Let No Man Put Asunder” (Europa Universalis IV: What If?, Paradox Interactive)
- Lewis Shiner, “The Black Sun” (Subterranean, Summer 2014)
- Harry Turtledove, “The More It Changes” (Europa Universalis IV: What If?, Paradox Interactive)
- Alexander M. Grace, Sr., Second Front: The Allied Invasion of France, 1942-1943 (Casemate)
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch, The Enemy Within (WMG Publishing)
- Tony Schumacher, The Darkest Hour (William Morrow)
- Allen Steele, V-S Day (Ace)
- Jo Walton, My Real Children (Tor)
The winners will be announced on August 21 at Sasquan, the 73rd Annual World Science Fiction Convention in Spokane, Washington.
The Sidewise Awards for Alternate History were conceived in late 1995 to honor the best allohistorical genre publications of the year. The first awards were announced in summer 1996 and honored works from 1995. The award takes its name from Murray Leinster’s 1934 short story “Sidewise in Time,” in which a strange storm causes portions of Earth to swap places with their analogs from other timelines.