Got a hot Free Fiction Tip? Tell me here
Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Free SF/F/H Fiction Newsletter
What’s Special About Today’s Free Fiction?
- Hello Horror #3.15 – Summer 2015
- Baen had a second new story earlier this month with “New Moon Wolf” by David B. Coe (thanks for the tip, Gary!)
- Mad Scientist Journal has “Beginning Mad Science: the Path to Greatening Yourself” by Michael Hudson
- @AE – The Canadian Science Fiction Review: “The Patent Bagger” by Suzanne Church [Science Fiction]
- @Baen: “New Moon Wolf” by David B. Coe [Horror]
- Hello Horror #3.15 – Summer 2015 [Horror Magazine]
- @Lightspeed Magazine:
- @Mad Scientist Journal: “Beginning Mad Science: the Path to Greatening Yourself” by Michael Hudson [Science Fiction]
- @Omni Reboot: “The Copies” by DS Peters [Science Fiction]
- @Terraform: “Humane Resources” by James Mitchell [Science Fiction]
- @The Colored Lens: “Good Guys Always Win” by Aaron Grayum [Apocalyptic]
- @The WiFiles: “Divine Trading” by Russell Hemmell [Fantasy]
- @Tor: “Fabulous Beasts” by Priya Sharma [Horror]
Written – Flash
- @365 tomorrows:
- “A New Beginning” by Nick Sousa [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Defying Nature” by Dominic Constable [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Don’t Touch That” by Cheryl Wood Ruggiero [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Drake Park” by Gray Blix [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Politics of Non Sequitur” by David Botticello [Science Fiction Flash]
- “The Tower” by William Ovide Richardson [Science Fiction Flash]
- “Tunnel Rats” by Rick Tobin [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Daily Science Fiction:
- @Every Day Fiction:
- @Farther Stars Than These: “The Immortal Equalizer” by David K Scholes [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Nature: “The shoulder of Orion” by Eric Garside [Science Fiction Flash]
- @Terraform: “Next Draft of the Future” by Dave Pell [Science Fiction Flash]
- Beam Me Up! Podcast #449 – “Bad Dreams” by David Scholes [Science Fiction]
- Beware the Hairy Mango #293 – “Biodiversity” by Matthew Sanborn Smith [Mango-fueled Speculation]
- Cast of Wonders #171 – “Pluto” by C. E. Hyun [YA Science Fiction]
- Far Fetched Fables #67 – “The Thief of Precious Things” by A.C. Wise and “One Hundred Years” by Gerri Leen [Fantasy]
- @Lightspeed Magazine: “Violation of the TrueNet Security Act” by Taiyo Fuji, Translated by Jim Hubbert [Science Fiction]
- Tales To Terrify #184 – “Rise Up” by C. S. Fuqua [Horror]
- The Classic Tales Podcast #429 – “The White Wolf” by Frederick Marryat [Horror]
- The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine #173 – “Ghosts Of Clay” by Wendy Conroy [Horror]
Audio – Radio Dramas
- @Relic Radio:
Audio – Serialized
- @Author’s Site: Alive by Scott Sigler – Episode #6 [YA Science Fiction Adventure Novel Serialization]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction
Critical Dawn (The Critical Series #1) by Wearmouth & Barnes
Some mysteries should stay buried.
A centuries old plan unfolds.
Archaeologists Pippa Quinn and Charlie Jackson find advanced technology in undisturbed 16th Century graves. A portent, the discovery precedes thousands of giant sinkholes opening up across the globe as extreme weather threatens the population. Charlie suspects the two are related.
Pippa, Charlie, and the rest of humanity will have to fight for survival, sacrificing the life they’ve known to protect Earth from an ancient and previously dormant enemy. Even that might not be enough as this new enemy exacts a plan that will change the course of humankind forever.
[Science Fiction / Post-Apocalyptic Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Descent into Mayhem (Capicua Chronicles #1) by Bruno Goncalves
After two hundred years of isolated existence, the colonists of Capicua, a fertile super-earth orbiting Gliese 667C, find themselves confronted with a newly arrived paramilitary force aiming to impose annexation through force of arms.
Oblivious to the impending invasion, Toni Miura joins Capicua’s decrepit armed forces in a bid to escape domestic troubles, aiming for the privilege of driving the Hammerhead, a bipedal armored suit which is the epitome of his planet´s ailing warrior spirit.
With the arrival of the earthborn raiders, Toni’s unqualified platoon, brimming with misfits and plagued by internal differences, finds itself suddenly thrown into the midst of battle. Abandoned by their seniors in the course of their mission, Toni and the remnants of his unit become lost in the wilderness of a world which, owing to the nature of its orbit, suffers periodically from planet-wide hurricane conditions.
So begins a race against time, where a handful of cadets will be forced to outmaneuver a pursuing enemy in the boondocks of a turbulent planet, all the while seeking to deliver an odd but important Bavarian prisoner-of-war to their Headquarters.
[Science Fiction Adventure Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Dry Land by Jennifer Anne Seidler
When mankind toys with nature, nature fights back. Astronaut Ted “Shakespeare” Hardiston is setting off on the adventure of a lifetime — for the rest of his life. He reluctantly leaves behind his wife, an android/human hybrid, to command the first base on the surface of the moon. Ted and the crew of Space Shuttle Liberty complete their mission, gifting the Moon with gravity and an atmosphere. In doing so, they cause mass destruction on the Earth below. By Ted’s side during this ordeal is Codie-5, another hybrid and a genetic duplicate of Ted’s wife. Ted, Codie, and the crew must work fast and make sacrifices to save the world — and for Ted, to return to the love of his life.
[Science Fiction Romance Novella – Amazon]
Hearers of the Constant Hum by William Pauley III
Bill Krang records insect conversations onto cassette tapes and labels them THE CONSTANT HUM. Since he was just a child, he’s heard them repeat the same twelve words over and over again, but is unable to decipher exactly what the phrase means. He has since dedicated his life to discovering how to share this cryptic insect message with others.
As an adult, Krang now notices this peculiar phrase graffitied on the sides of buildings and written on mysterious tiles half-buried in asphalt. It’s the first time he’s ever had proof the curious message exists outside his own mind. What does it mean? Is it a warning? A threat? In his search for answers, he manages to dismantle all he ever thought he knew about everything.
Can you hear it?
[Science Fiction Novel – Amazon]
Into the Dark (Dark Universe #1) by Jason Halstead
Aden Garrett is fresh out of security academy and looking for a little excitement. A little more than walking security at local space station bars and a little less than the job that got him kicked out of the academy.
Meshelle and Janna are Vagnosian sisters that run a small transport and special operations ship, and they’re looking to replace a fallen crew member.
Chance brings them together and puts them work for one of the mysterious Kesari merchants who’s looking for some expendable assets for a special job. It’s a perfect match, except the crew of the Uma, Janna’s ship, doesn’t agree to being disposed of when the job is done.
What follows is a game of cat and mouse through the galaxy with twists and turns at every solar system. Lost alien civilizations, six limbed insectoid warriors, plasma rifles, and more await. Much, much more…
[Space Opera Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Science Fiction – Young Adult
Arena Mode (The Arena Mode Saga #1) by Blake Northcott
In his twenty-nine years, Matthew Moxon had done virtually nothing with his record-breaking IQ and unparalleled problem solving abilities. Until one morning, after a dangerous fall lands him in the emergency room, he discovers that a tumor is pressing against his brain.
Unable to afford experimental but potentially life-saving surgery, Moxon takes drastic action; he volunteers for Arena Mode: 2041’s most vicious sporting event, where thirteen superhumans fight in an urban combat zone for a multi-billion dollar prize.
Moxon is forced to battle opponents possessing ungodly speed, strength, and abilities once thought to exist only across the pages of superhero comics – and he’s armed with nothing more than his rapidly-diminishing brain cells.
With the odds stacked impossibly against him, Moxon fights to not only survive the wrath of the other competitors, but to unlock the mysteries buried within the Arena itself.
[YA Science Fiction / Superhero Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian
Free eBooks – Vampires
Reign of Blood (Reign of Blood #1) by Alexia Purdy
In a post-apocalyptic world, a viral epidemic has wiped out most of the earth’s population, leaving behind few humans but untold numbers of mutated vampires. April is a seventeen-year-old girl who lives in the remains of Las Vegas one year after the outbreak. She has become a ferocious vampire killer and after her family is abducted, she goes searching for them. What she finds is a new breed of vampire, unlike any she has seen before. Unsure of whom she can trust, she discovers that her view of the world is not as black and white as she once thought, and she’s willing to bend the rules to rescue her family. But in trying to save them, she may only succeed in bringing her fragile world crashing down around her.
[YA Vampire / Post-Apocalyptic Novel – First of Series – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Horror
Souvenir and three more not-quite-straightforward tales by Daniel Kelley
A collection of four stories, not one of which travels a predictable route.
[Horror / Dark Speculative Fiction Collection – Amazon]
Free eBooks – Horror – Young Adult
Devils Den (Justin McKnight Adventures #1) by Leonard D Hilley II
Twenty years have passed since a young man disappeared inside Devils Den never to be seen again. During this time the haunted cave has lain dormant, but the legend of its evil has not died. In fact, what lies within has awakened and prowls Cider Knoll one last time, seeking to offer a final blood sacrifice in order to gain immortality. Such a sacrifice must be pure and untainted, but finding an uncontaminated soul in a corrupt world is nearly impossible.
Horror spreads through rural Cider Knoll when another teenager, Justin McKnight, vanishes inside Devils Den. As the search and rescue begins, Sheriff Hopkins is baffled on how to continue searching for the boy when the only clues end at a mysterious wall inside the cave. When search efforts are about to be abandoned, an unexpected man shows up with an age-worn book that has disturbing revelations about what had actually occurred twenty years prior. And according to the predictions inside the book, they have little time to find Justin before he becomes the next victim.
[YA Horror / Dark Fantasy Novel – First of Series