Nightmare is a freely available online horror magazine edited by John Joseph Adams. The magazine publishes four stories a month and publishes half of those in audio as well.
As with its science fiction and fantasy sister publication Lightspeed, Nightmare is produced in audio by the superb Skyboat Media, spearheaded by the excellent Gabrielle de Cuir and Stefan Rudnicki.
Following along with Lightspeed‘s popular Women Destroy Science Fiction and Women Destroy Fantasy special issues, Nightmare had a Women Destroy Horror special issue.
Nightmare launched in October 2012, building from the popularity of its sister publication Lightspeed with a new genre focus. The podcast launched with the first story “Property Condemned” by Jonathan Maberry.
In 2014, in response to comments about “women destroying science fiction,” Lightspeed launched the Women Destroy Science Fiction! Kickstarter campaign with a stretch goal for Women Destroy Horror, a goal which was reached and far surpassed. Ellen Datlow was the guest fiction editor for the special issue, and Gabrielle de Cuir produced the podcast.
- “Centipede Heartbeat” by Caspian Gray
- “We Now Pause for Station Identification” by Gary A. Braunbeck
- “Spores” by Seanan McGuire
- “The Black Window” by Lane Robins
- “Where it Lives” by Nathaniel Lee
- “Property Condemned” by Jonathan Maberry
- “It Was Never the Fire” by Martin Cahill
- “Bones” by Bones
- “10/31: Bloody Mary” by Norman Partridge
- “Blackbirds” by Norman Partridge
- “The Cellar Dweller” by Maria Dahvana Headley
Next month I will be shining the spotlight on the hugely popular Welcome to Night Vale podcast, hosted by Cecil Baldwin and written by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor with guest stars that include Wil Wheaton and Retta.