Interviews & Profiles
- Blogcritics interviews Luz Thompson, author of Beyond The Standard Model.
- The Book Plank interviews Tom Doyle, author of The Left-Hand Way.
- Cnet interviews Gary Whitta, author of Pooping Is Logical.
- Felicia Day on what it was like to work on Buffy the Vampire Slayer in a Tumblr Q&A.
- Kim Smith interviews Robert Williscroft, author of Slingshot.
- My Bookish Ways interviews John Dixon, author of Devil’s Pocket.
- Sword and Laser interviews J-F Dubeau, author of Life Engineered.
- SFFWorld interviews Marc Alan Edelheit, author of Stiger’s Tigers.
- Small Print Magazine interviews Robert J. Sawyer, author of Red Planet Blues.
- Tor interviews John Gwynne, author of RUIN.
- Doctor Who casts its first openly transgender actress.
- Glasses That Confuse Facial Recognition Systems Are Coming to Japan. Welcome to our grim cyberpunk dystopian future.
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Story of Kullervo Will Be Published In October.
- Upper Deck to release Firefly Legendary Encounters. The company’s first Firefly game Firefly Shiny Dice is out this month.
Events & Event News
- Artist David Carr appears at Twilight Comics in Swansea, IL on Saturday, August 15, 2015 for their Doctor Who Day celebration and to sign his exclusive variant cover of FOUR DOCTORS #1! RSVP on Facebook.
- The Duarte (CA) Historical Museum has a modest exhibit about Ray Bradbury.
- Felicia Day (The Guild, Geek & Sundry) will appear at the University Temple United Methodist Church in Seattle, WA on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 7:00 PM in conversation with Tracey Conway to sign her new book You’re Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)!
- HUGO BROYLER – a high-speed, sci-fi, grindhouse graphic novel. This fast-paced future-noir thriller will be remastered with a murderer’s row of top comic industry artists from around the world.
- Outsider – A Sci Fi Card Game of Sabotage and Survival – A semi-cooperative, science fiction themed card game of sabotage, trust, identity, and survival in space.
- Book Review: It’s Survival Of The Fittest In John Scalzi’s The End Of All Things.
- TV Review: Mr. Robot’s Surreal Tech Honesty Could Become the Best Show on TV.
- 7 Things We Want To See On The Flash Season 2.
- 7 Worthy SF/F Books Eclipsed By Their Film Adaptations.
- 10 films to beat the 2015 blockbuster fatigue.
- The Avengers: Battle of New York – the bystanders’ story. It’s the latest video in Machinima’s Real Fake History series.
- The Cabin in the Woods made Film4’s 50 Must-See Horror Films of the Century list. Alan Tudyk’s Tucker & Dale vs. Evil also appears on the list.
- China Miéville shares his favorite books, including a necessary haunted house story.
- Den of Geek recommends 13 geeky beach read recommendations.
- How Science Fiction Got the Communications Future Wrong.
- How Tiny Details Make a Huge Star Wars Universe.
- I Remember Star Trek… “Gene Roddenberry usually held the center of events, his inventive mind solving problems and, often, creating mischief.”
- The Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies on The new television show Humans.
- Is studio meddling to blame for Fantastic Four being the opposite of its title?
- John Noble Reveals a Few Facts You May Not Know About Fringe.
- Robert Charles Wilson’s The Affinities: when science changes everything.
- A scientist deconstructs the classic movie The Fly.
- Slavoj Žižek analyzes the late Roddy Piper’s best sci-fi film, They Live.
- So, Should You Be Watching Mr. Robot? (Answer: Yes)
- Star Trek: Nemesis: Den of Geek wonders what went wrong?
- USA’s Mr. Robot Is the Anti-Capitalist TV Show We’ve Been Waiting For.
- The Vulture tells the story of a Copyeditor’s fight against Hollywood title-makers that will restore your faith in humanity… briefly.
- Zoë Marriott breaks down the psychology behind literary tropes while encouraging writers to examine their own unconscious biases to challenge the status quo.
- Articulated Robotic Gorilla by Andrew Chase.
- Fantasy Maquette Sculpting with Cx5(s).
- Radically Different Darth Vader Fan-Made Character Design by Rafael De Guzman.
More Fun Stuff
- Creator of Man of Steel‘s Kryptonian Language Preaches About Fandom at TEDx.
- Infographic: What does it cost to build the Death Star?
- Just one awesome example of Star Trek‘s dedication to diversity.
- Listen to Chris Hadfield’s latest track, “Feet Up.”
- Nightmare Fuel: AI robots don’t need to be conscious to become human enemies.
- Official Lego Ghostbusters Stay-Puft Minifig With Terror Dog!
- Robots Will Never Rule The World—Just Improve It.
- Should You Name Your Baby Anakin? It’s a trending name!
- The Singularity HUB explains How Virtual Reality Can Unleash the Greatest Wave of Creativity in Human History, but Is It Really So Bad If We Prefer Virtual Reality?
- Watch a trailer for the horror thriller VISIONS with Isla Fisher and Jim Parsons.