Interviews & Profiles
- AZCentral interviews John Scalzi, author of The End of All Things.
- GeekDad interviews Lev Grossman, author of Magicians Trilogy.
- Kosapress interviews Susan Kaye Quinn, author of Open Minds.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Paula Brackston, author of Lamp Black, Wolf Grey.
- Orbit Books interviews K.S. Merbeth, author of BITE.
- The Outhousers interviews Kelly Bender, author of Starburn.
- The Qwillery interviews Robert Masello, author of The Einstein Prophecy.
- ScienceFiction.com interviews Ari Marmell, author of Hallow Point.
- The Tonight Show interviews Tatiana Maslany, star of Orphan Black.
- Astronomer Wants to Find Alien Life By Detecting Radiation from Light Sails.
- Science-Fiction Prize Is Awarded to Chinese Writer for First Time.
Events & Event News
- Join Midtown Comics Downtown in New York City for a special event as we welcome friend of the store and artist Sean Gordon Murphy for a signing of Chrononauts Vol 1 TP and Tokyo Ghost #1 at Friday, September 18th at 6:30pm! RSVP on Facebook.
- 2016 Young Explorers Adventure Guide: SF Anthology – Science Fiction anthology for middle grade readers. Bring the stars to a new generation with diversity, representation & great stories!
- PURGE: PAST UNSPOKEN – Book One Graphic Novel – A martial arts master forged from experimental technology, struggles to contain the evils within the mechanized city he helped create.
- Book Review: In Zeroes, uber-snarky characters ruin a creepy and cathartic sci-fi story.
- Being a Jerk About the Hugos: Not as Effective a Strategy as You Might Think.
- The Best and Worst Sci-Fi Television Endings, chosen by Outer Places.
- Damon Lindelof: Why Game of Thrones is excellent and haters are silly.
- Doctor Who rescued me from an airless literary world.
- Floppy Disks, Trackballs and Netscape: A Look Back At All the Outdated Technology From the First Mission: Impossible.
- Given that Ray Bradbury’s novella “The Fireman” (which would eventually become Fahrenheit 451) was written in response to the McCarthy HUAC hearings, it might not be a surprise to learn that the FBI kept a file on him. The contents of that file have been released under the FOIA, and shows that the FBI apparently held a dim view of science fiction, since it could “frighten the people into a state of paralysis or psychological incompetence bordering on hysteria which would make it very possible to conduct a Third World War in which the American people would seriously believe could not be won…” [Via BoingBoing via MetaFilter]
- I would advise skipping Battle Royale in favor of the book, but otherwise, this list of 10 Sci-Fi Cult Classics That Everyone Should See is pretty solid, so long as you tack on A Boy and His Dog and Donnie Darko.
- John ONeill of Black Gate scolds “Dear Puppies: Your Taste Sucks.”
- Jurassic Park Almost Had a Graphic Animated Series. Check out the artwork.
- The Martian author Andy Weir is putting the science back in science fiction.
- Matthew Foster – “The Hugo Results – Don’t Be A Dick.”
- Michael A. Rothman accuses Fandom of disillusioning his teenage sons.
- Michael Rapoport writes “No ‘Puppy’ Love at Science Fiction’s Hugo Awards.”
- Micah Redding considers Iron Man and the Modern Identity Crisis.
- Mytheos Holt of The Federalist explains Why The #WaronNerds Is A War on Art.
- Peter Grant, Bayou Renaissance Man, takes A second look at the 2015 Hugo Awards.
- Sarah A. Hoyt on According To Hoyt “Burning Down The Field in Order to Save It.”
- Science and Hollywood: When The Martian Met the Earthlings.
- Science Fiction Fans Are Fighting About Politics. It’s Not the End of the Universe.
- Tegan Moore in Slog on The Stranger: “I Went to the Hugo Awards in Spokane. This Weekend. Here’s What I Saw.”
- The Minimal Trek Series by Mark Gonyea is a set of minimalist posters commemorating each episode of the original Star Trek: The Original Series.
- Star Wars Mural Design “Life of Vader” by Ren Lin.
More Fun Stuff
- The 25 best fan-made Doctor Who videos chosen by Radio Times.
- Infographic: A Timeline Of The Star Wars Canon.
- The James Webb Space Telescope Looks Like Gold Plated Space Origami.
- The real question is, what kinds of rewards do these Mars frequent flyer miles earn us?
- Star Trek Beyond Photos: New Costumes, New Characters and More!
- Superhero-inspired robotic hand wins UK Dyson award.
- Watch a trailer for The Moon and the Sun.
- Virtual Reality Room Takes One Step Closer to a Real-Life Holodeck.
- You don’t know what the Planetary Society is? Let Bill Nye explain through GIFs.
- Your moment of Zen: Pertwee’s People.