As I was browsing Amazon (What? Doesn’t everyone?) I ran across this kick-@$$ cover for the upcoming anthology The Mammoth Book of Kaiju coming early next year from Robinson. I asked editor Sean Wallace for more details about this tasty-looking treat. Read on to see the description and a bigger version of that glorious cover.
Giant monsters whose every roar and footstep shakes the earth, whose simple stroll through a city wreaks havoc: KAIJU!
And even though humankind has never really seen such monsters – we tremble at the thought of them and love to shiver as their screen versions make mayhem: the beast from twenty-thousand fathoms, Godzilla demolishing Tokyo, the massive creature in Cloverfield destroying New York, all of Earth warring with the colossal monsters in Pacific Rim.
Now, for the first time, a definitive anthology that gathers a wide range of larger-than-life short fiction with creatures that run a gargantuan gamut: the stealthy gabbleduck of Neal Asher’s Polity universe; Gary McMahon’s huge sea-born terror; An Owomoyela ‘s incredibly tall alien invaders; Frank Wu’s city-razing, eighty-foot-high, fire-breathing lizard; Lavie Tidhar’s titanic ship-devouring monstrosity; a really big Midwest US smackdown related by Jeremiah Tolbert . . . and many more mega-monster stories to feed your need for killer kaiju!
With an introduction by Robert Hood, co-editor of the groundbreaking, Ditmar Award-winning Daikaiju: Giant Monster Tales and host of Undead Backbrain, the premier website for matters relating to giant monsters.
Here’s the table of contents…
- “Softly Spoke the Gabbleduck” by Neal Asher
- “Occupied” by Natania Barron
- “Now I Am Nothing” by Simon Bestwick
- “The Black Orophant” by Daniel Braum
- “Attack of the 50-Foot Cosmonaut” by Michael Canfield
- “Postcards from Monster Island” by Emily Devenport
- “Seven Dates That Were Ruined by Giant Monsters” by Adam Ford
- “The Lighthouse Keeper of Kurohaka Island” by Kane Gilmour
- “Kungmin Horangi: The People’s Tiger” by Cody Goodfellow
- “The Island of Dr. Otaku” by Cody Goodfellow
- “With Bright Shining Faces” by Gini Koch
- “One Night on Tidal Rig #13” by Tessa Kum
- “Running” by Martin Livings
- “The Unlawful Priest of Todesfall” by Penelope Love
- “Breaking the Ice” by Maxine McArthur
- “The Eyes of Erebus” by Chris McMahon
- “Kaiju” by Gary McMahon
- “Whatever Became of Randy?” by James A. Moore
- “Kadimakara and Curlew” by Jason Nahrung
- “Frozen Voice” by An Owomoyela
- “Mamu, or Reptillion vs Echidonah” by Nick Stathopoulos
- “Cephalogon” by Alys Sterling
- “Show Night” by Steve Tem
- “Titanic!” by Lavie Tidhar
- “The Kansas Jayhawk vs. The Midwest Monster Squad” by Jeremiah Tolbert
- “The Behemoth” by Jonathan Wood
- “Love and Death in the Time of Monsters” by Frank Wu
Book info as per Amazon UK:
- Paperback: 608 pages
- Publisher: Robinson (15 Jan. 2016)
- ISBN-10: 1472135644
- ISBN-13: 978-1472135643