Interviews & Profiles
- Adventures in Scifi interviews Rod Duncan, author of Unseemly Science.
- Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy interviews Andy Weir, author of The Martian.
- Gwendoline Christie on why playing Captain Phasma was so challenging
- Inverse interviews Andy Weir, author of The Martian.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Cherie Priest, author of Chapelwood.
- Notes from Coode Street interviews Kristine Kathryn Rusch, of Anniversary Day.
- The Qwillery interviews Mitchell Hogan, author of A Crucible of Souls.
- Speculate! interviews Helene Wecker, author of The Golem and the Jinni.
- Suvudu interviews C.A. Higgins, author of Lightless.
- Finalists for the inaugural 100 Year Starship (100YSS) Canopus Award for Excellence in Interstellar Writing have been announced.
- Independence Day comic will fill in the 20 year gap between films.
- Scientists just smashed the distance record for quantum teleportation.
- Shawnee Kilgore gives an update on the EP she’s making with Joss Whedon.
Events & Event News
- After originating in Kansas City, MO, Spectrum Fantastic Art Live has announced that they will move to San Francisco, CA for their 2016 show.
- For those of you who are not yet waiting with bated breath for October 14th, that’s when Heritage Auction Galleries will be selling off 154 pieces of art from the FRANK COLLECTION. Online bidding has begun! Many of you will recognize the works that are part of this sale, it’s an amazingly wide assortment of works from every period in SF/F/H illustration. Sales of Terry Oakes’ KULT CCG art also have begun and as they have sold I have removed them from the site, so as not to confuse new visitors. But there are still 47 great choices: Check them out at WWW.WOW-ART.COM.
- CHROMA – The key to our planet’s survival will unleash a hero more powerful than anything the universe has ever seen.
- North Bend – An Original Graphic Novel – A sci-fi graphic novel series inspired by the events of the CIA’s MKULTRA mind control experiments.
- SpaceVR: Step into Space – Giving everyone the opportunity to explore space by putting a virtual reality camera on the International Space Station!
- Zombie Coven: an Illustrated Horror Novel by Tom Baxa – a gritty horror novel about an ancient occult threat: a coven of zombies spreading their unholy disease.
- Book Review: The Aeronaut’s Windlass Is a Rollicking Steampunk Adventure.
- TV Review: Scorpion Returns to Bring Us More of the Worst Tech Plot Devices ever.
- The 19 Worst Movies Mystery Science Theater 3000 Ever Riffed.
- Alex Kurtzman on The Mummy, building a shared Universal Monsters universe.
- Among the 2,600 stories that series editor John Joseph Adams screened for Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2015, he chose 80 as notable — see the list, now posted on the series’ website.
- The A.V. Club’s guide to horror TV shows. Buffy is featured alongside the likes of The X-Files, Twin Peaks, and other landmark shows.
- B-movie monsters that deserve of your love.
- Brandon Sanderson Is the Hardest-Working Man in Fantasy says Barnes and Nobles.
- Does Pacific Rim Deserve to Be a Franchise? Pacific Rim 2 might not happen. We discuss whether that might not be such a bad thing.
- The heroics of the Fury Road video game are defined by dreams, not bodies.
- How a Futuristic Super-Assassin Deals With Obnoxious Coworkers.
- I Went to a Robot Cage Fight and Learned How to Be Human.
- John Scalzi in “eBook Sales and Author Incomes and All That Jazz” at Whatever.
- Thoughts on a League Of Extraordinary Gentleman film reboot.
- Luna: New Moon Is a Saga of Power Politics and Family Drama.
- Patton Oswalt’s Night Cafe and the script that changed Joss Whedon forever. An interesting look at the impact of Alien Resurrection.
- Powerhouse Superhero Collaboration Zeroes, and Other Awesome YA Team-Ups.
- Ruth A. Johnston, author of Re-Modeling the Mind: Personality in Balance, was interviewed by L. Jagi. Lamplighter at Superversive SF about the psychology of science fiction. In “The SF Culture War Posts” Johnston applies her theory to characters in John C. Wright’s Night Land stories.
- The Scorch Trials Director Wes Ball Just Made a Quintessential ’80s Movie.
- Vivienne Raper asks “Do the Hugo Awards have a short fiction problem?”
- WIRED Binge-Watching Guide: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
More Fun Stuff
- Battle of Hoth Recreated on Gaming Table for Salute 2015.
- Cover Art: The Dinosaur Knights by Richard Anderson.
- Cover Art: Four Roads Cross is the Next Max Gladstone Craft Sequence Book!
- DARPA one bionic step closer to full battlemech suits, still disappointingly few lasers.
- Marines Are Testing A Robot Dog For War: I can’t decide if this delight or terrify me yet.
- Read an excerpt from The Custodian of Marvels by Rod Duncan at Tor.com.
- Ride Along in Amazing 360 THE FORCE AWAKENS Immersive Video.