Interviews & Profiles
- A.C. Wise interviews Carlie St. George, short story author.
- Blastr interviews Simon Barry, author of Continuum.
- The Coode Street Podcast interviews Jonathan Strahan, editor of Meeting Infinity.
- Fast Forward: Contemporary Science Fiction interviews Edward M. Lerner, author of InterstellarNet: Enigma. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Omnivoracious interviews John Sandford and Ctein, authors of Saturn Run.
- Unlikely Story interviews Nicolette Barischoff, author of “Follow Me Down.”
Events & Event News
- The Lovecraft Arts & Sciences Council in Rhode Island is holding a special two-night session of weird stories as read by local and regional authors October 30th and 31st at the historic Providence Arcade, just across the hall from New Harvest Coffee and Spirits. Readings start at 6pm both nights.
- Dark Shadow – What happens when you mix a Genius,Creativity, and technology to a teen who wants to change the world.
- Drift – Genetic modification is not just advanced science in the city of Freemont; it’s how people live. Zade must navigate her way through a broken and unjust society to search for her missing brother. What else will her search uncover?
- The Guidebook for Human Adjustment v2.21 – Human domestication at its most spectacular and ruthlessly efficient.
- A Night On Ghost Island – Sage Mraz doesn’t believe in ghosts. But will this disbelief hold when dared to spend the night alone on a haunted island?
- Spanish Women of Wonder – Women write very good science fiction in Spanish! So good we want to give you a superb translation into English. Will you help us?
- Unwritten Series – The thrilling series chronicles the adventures of diverse characters finding the hero within and challenging what it means to be human.
- Review: Bound in Blood: A Borrowed Man by Gene Wolfe.
- Review: Crimson Peak is a Breathtakingly Beautiful Subversion of Gothic Romance.
- 5 Mistakes That Hollywood Blockbusters Should Stop Making, as Proved By Pan.
- At 25, Edward Scissorhands stands the test of time, according to the LA Times.
- 7 Horror Shows You Must Watch This Halloween.
- The 1980s Game That Predicted The Internet. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Alien Life May Be Out There—But All Life Is Incredibly Rare.
- Alien’s derelict, Event Horizon, and 7 other sinister spaceships to never climb aboard.
- Apocalypse Right Now: Preoccupations of the End Game.
- Brian Knight on Where I’ve Been … Where I Am Now. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Brian Stableford on The Origins of Epic Fantasy at The New York Review of Sci-Fi.
- Cancer survivor, sci-fi junkie opens used bookstore in downtown Bothell.
- The Deep, Dark Secret Of R.L. Stine: “I Never Planned To Be Scary.” [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Five Dualities That Can Replace Good and Evil.
- Get in the mood for Halloween with these 12 haunting American short stories.
- Go Behind-the-Scenes of Doctor Who with Maisie Williams By Kyle Anderson.
- How to Name a Science Fictional World.
- Is It Ethically Wrong to Create Ethical Robots?
- Outer Space, Bacon, and Dreams: the authors on the Origins of Illuminae.
- Playing a Hypothetical Star Wars “X-Wings on Endor” Battle.
- Ranking the 59 best droids in the Star Wars universe.
- The “Science” Behind Today’s Plague Doctor Costume.
- What Is Déjà Vu? Michio Kaku Wonders If It’s Triggered by Parallel Universes.
- “Frontier Buccaneers” by Johnson Ting.
- The New York Times covers the Superheroes: Born in New York City exhibit.
- “Refinery” by ShahabAlizadeh.
- “World Eater” by Joan Piqué Llorens.
More Fun Stuff
- 7 New Clues in the STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Poster.
- 10 Best Sound Effects From The Star Wars Saga.
- Every Goosebumps Book Summarized In One Sentence.
- The Federation of Beer has released their latest Star Trek brew, Vulcan Ale.
- How to bridge the human-robot divide.
- In the Future, Furniture Will Be Drones, but humans will be pets, so who cares?
- News Neill Blomkamp teases Alien 5 pulse rifle.
- Read an excerpt from The Far Arena by Richard Ben Sapir at Amazing Stories.
- Science vs Cinema: How Accurate Was Ridley Scott’s The Martian?
- The Voice Of Darth Maul Voices His Displeasure With Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.
- Why Uber Has To Start Using Self-Driving Cars.