Interviews & Profiles
- The Book Plank interviews Christopher Fowler, author of The Sand Men.
- The Boskone Blog interviews Filkers Vixy & Tony.
- SFFWorld interviews Clay and Susan Griffith, authors of Vampire Empire.
- Vol 1 Brooklyn interviews Laird Barron on Ray Russell’s The Case Against Satan.
- Vulture interviews Christopher Lloyd, star of Back to the Future.
- Word Horde interviews Bram Stoker Award-winning author Laird Barron.
- Bull Spec interviews Julia Elliott.
- The Seattle Review of Books profiles Johanna Sinisalo. [via Paul Di Filippo]
Events & Event News
- Join Meltdown Comics in Los Angeles, CA on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 8:30 PM as incredibly talented writers Robert Payne Cabeen (Fearworms: Selected Poems, Heavy Metal 2000) and Justin Robinson (City of Devils, Coldheart) recite their tantalizing tales of terror for audiences to enjoy. Cabeen will share select passages from his recent poetry collection that will leave listeners squirming with dread, and Robinson will read a passage from his novel, Get Blank, along with short story that is set in the universe of his horror novel, City of Devils. Following the performances, Fanboy Comics invites you to stay for tricks, treats, and a book signing with the authors.
- Editing for Writers Workshop Raffle.
- Boston Metaphysical Society – Chapter 6 – An ex-Pinkerton detective and his spirit photographer partner battle supernatural forces in late 1800’s Boston. (A six issue series)
- Mechcraft – A teen with a dark secret in his DNA. Fringe Nanotechnology unleashed. Shadow government factions. A sinister enemy. And the struggle for a godlike power. The Matrix meets Harry Potter in this fast-paced sci-fi thriller.
- Mecha1945 – a tactical combat game staging gigantic robots battling in Manhattan.
- Northern Lights – A brother and sister find themselves in the clenches of an other-worldly force during a hike.
- Super! Volume Two: The Secret is Out! – The #1 Critically-Rated Superhero Comic returns to redefine crowdfunding and fund Volume 2!
- Zombag – A Token & Bag Zombie Apocalypse – Live to be the best group of survivors or perish at the hands of the zombies. Take the apocalypse wherever you go, with Zombag!
- Book Review: Barnes and Noble’s David Burr Gerrard reviews the short story collection Only the Animals by Ceridwen Dovey.
- Book Review: Wolfe’s A Borrowed Man is a Sci-Fi Mystery with No Borrowed Ideas.
- 5 Reasons to Read Short Speculative Fiction Anthologies.
- 9 Reasons Why Mr. Robot Is The Best Show On TV.
- The Andromeda Strain: Smart Pop Books looks back at the classic, saying “As in most crises, the events surrounding the Andromeda Strain were a compound of foresight and foolishness, innocence and ignorance. Nearly everyone involved had moments of great brilliance, and moments of unaccountable stupidity.”
- Andy Weir on his strange journey from self-publishing to Hollywood.
- Astrid Lindgren Memorial longlist assembles stars of children’s literature. Quentin Blake, Neil Gaiman and Shirley Hughes among a galaxy of nominees for the biggest prize in children’s literature. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- The Ecological Uncanny: On the Southern Reach Trilogy: Siobhan Carroll on Acceptance and Authority and Annihilation.
- Exploring C. S. Lewis’s Lasting Popularity—52 Years After His Death. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Has the Self-Published Blog-Off Changed Your Opinion of Self-Published Books?
- How to Write a Haunted House; Or How to Haunt a Mystery.
- How the Back to the Future Cast and Crew Knew Eric Stoltz Would Be Fired from BttF.
- The Messy, True Story Behind The Making Of Destiny.
- Moebius and the Key of Dreams: On Jean Giraud’s Astonishing Multiverse.
- Neil Gaiman: Why our future depends on libraries, reading and daydreaming.
- Paul Di Filippo reviews One Year After by William R. Forstchen..
- Penguin Conjures the Hidden Classic, “The Case Against Satan.” [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Robert M. Price on October Agenda.
- THE SKINNER on Coming Through the Fog. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Speculiction reviews Steampunk ed. by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer, comparing it favorably to the landmark cyberpunk anthology Mirrorshades. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Tom Hawking In Praise of the Literary Monster That Defies Description. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Time travel movies to quench your #BackToTheFuture thirst.
- Entropy explained, beautifully, in comic-book form.
- Striking BACK TO THE FUTURE Art Prints from Mondo and Hero Complex.
- These Surreal Science Fiction Collages Are a Wonderful Glimpse into Insanity.
More Fun Stuff
- The Daily Show Shuts Down #BoycottStarWarsVII.
- Listen to an excerpt from Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente at Tor.com.
- Read an excerpt from Envy of Angels by Matt Wallace at Tor.com.
- Read the short story excerpt from “Tear Tracks” by Malka Older at Tor.com.
- Bone-Chilling Legends From Around The World.
- Real life Death Star Caught in the act of Destroying a Planet.
- Trevor Noah takes on the #BoycottStarWars fracas.
- Watch a drone and a walking robot work in harmony!