Interviews & Profiles
- aNewDomain interviews S.H. Jucha, author of The Silver Ships.
- Computer World interviews Andy Weir, author of The Martian.
- Entertainment Weekly interviews John Joseph Adams, editor of the Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2015 anthology.
- IGN interviews Drew Goddard on Scripting the Sci-Fi Epic The Martian.
- PSJA KTRI TV interviews Lou Anders, author of Nightborn.
- SFFWorld interviews ST Joshi, editor of The Madness of Cthulhu Volume 2.
- The Santa Fe New Mexican profiles cyberpunk author William Gibson.
- RIP: Fred Duarte, Jr..
- Doctor Who Spinoff Titled Class Announced for 2016.
- General Electric is making a sci-fi podcast instead of an industrial musical. (More)
Events & Event News
- Join writer and director Brad Bird (Tomorrowland, The Incredibles) for a moderated discussion and audience Q&A about “The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” at the Apple Store on Prince Street in New York City on Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM! Tickets
- The SEA Is Ours: Tales of Steampunk Southeast Asia – an anthology of stories and art.
- STAR OF THE GUARDIANS – help fund a movie based on the best-selling book series “Star of the Guardians” by Margaret Weis.
- Book Review: Why JG Ballard’s High-Rise takes dystopian science fiction to a new level.
- The 10 Most Realistic Sci-Fi Movies of All Time, as chosen by OuterPlaces.
- 12 Episode Ideas For the New Season of Black Mirror.
- 23 Amazing Science Fiction Books That Should Be Considered Essential Reading.
- The biggest mistake in The Martian is absolutely critical to the movie’s plot.
- A Brief History of The Queen of Sci-Fi Cinema, Sigourney Weaver from The Mary Sue.
- Can children’s books help build a better world?
- Doctor Who spin-off Class: everything we know so far about the new BBC3 show.
- Futurity explains Why teleportation is no longer science fiction.
- The Guardian explains Why Patrick Ness is writing his Doctor Who spin-off.
- How A Former Android Developer Created The Martian, A New Sci-Fi Masterpiece.
- How we learned to stop being afraid of the future and fell back in love with sci-fi.
- Hypable recommends 10 great space travel movies like The Martian.
- Let’s Talk About the One Scene of The Martian That’s Incredibly Dumb.
- NaNoWriMo Showed Me Writing a Novel Is Easy, Writing a Good One Is Hard.
- RadioTimes asks What’s happened to the sonic screwdriver?
- Space takes on starring role in pop culture.
- UA scientists discuss the relative accuracy of The Martian.
- YA Virtual Book Clubs Are on the Rise, and Here’s Why You Should Join One Too!
- The Amazing Art of Christoph Peters Von Sperling.
- Imaginary Airships is now a subReddit. Great for steampunk fans!
- The Stunning Digital Artworks of Antoine Collignon.
More Fun Stuff
- An ’80s New Wave/Space Disco recruitment anthem for SFWA for the 2016 Nebulas.
- Fashion It So is a funny Tumblr devoted to critiquing the fashion of ST:NG.
- The October Issue of the Journal of Unlikely Academia is out!
- Space Patrol was a 1962 TV series featuring puppets a la Gerry Anderson’s Supermarionation. Many of the episodes are now available on YouTube. If you’re a newcomer, try “The Talking Bell” (episode 23) or “Explosion on the Sun” (episode 26).