Interviews & Profiles
- Cheryl Holloway interviews Patrise Henkel on “How to Succeed at NaNoWriMo.”
- The Daily Beast interviews Andy Weir, author of The Martian. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- The Guardian chats with authors Audrey Niffenegger, Kim Newman and Jeremy Dyson about the timeless appeal of spectres and spooks.
- J.J. Abrams Answers Your Burning Star Wars Questions.
- My Bookish Ways interviews Emma Newman, author of Planetfall.
- The Qwillery interviews Tony Peak, author of Inherit the Stars.
- SFFWorld interviews David Kirk, author of Sword of Honor.
- The Washington Times interviews Roy Peter Clark, “America’s Writing Coach.”
- CBS has picked up a new live action Star Trek tv series, to be produced by Alex Kurtzman. It will premiere on CBS before moving to CBS’s digital platform, CBS All Access. I predict that it will surpass Game of Thrones to become the new most-pirate TV series within a matter of minutes of the move.
- The Force Awaken tie-in novel has been delayed to avoid spoiler.
- Harper Voyager has issued an open call for manuscripts, especially those in the Urban Fantasy and Military Sci-Fi genres.
Events & Event News
- The California Science Center in L.A. is hosting a “Journey To Space” exhibition
- Jim Bell, a planetary scientist at Arizona State University, will discuss how hard in a lecture titled “Soils of Mars: Keys to Understanding the Habitability of the Red Planet” at the Soil Science Society of America’s annual meeting on November 18.
- Join Ellen Datlow, Charlie Jane Anders, and a host of others as we celebrate 20 years of saving the world one good book at a time
- Apex Publications is holding a subscription drive for their science fiction, fantasy, and horror zine November 2nd to November 13th.
- Dax Harrison – In a space-faring future, an alien war criminal seeks vengeance on humanity, and a celebrated-but-bumbling hero is forced back into action…
- Mechcraft – A teen with a dark secret in his DNA. Fringe Nanotechnology unleashed. Shadow government factions. A sinister enemy. And the struggle for a godlike power. The Matrix meets Harry Potter in this fast-paced sci-fi thriller.
- Space Movers the Story Continues: Expansion & Game Offer – New expansion bundle for the cooperative sci-fi tabletop board game Space Movers 2201.
- A Tale of Shadows: Cause & Effect – A fantasy comic. Technology has arrived to the town of Wavefront, dividing the population between the spiritual and scientific.
- Book Review: The Exploding Spaceship Reviews The Builders by Daniel Polansky.
- Book Review: Never Have Hands Been So Vital to a Creature: a review of Bats of the Republic by Zachary Thomas Dodson. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- 6 things the new Star Trek TV series needs to do.
- 8 Ways To Explain NaNoWriMo To Your Non-Writer Friends.
- 21 Books To Help You Win NaNoWriMo.
- Barnes & Noble offers Our Hopes and Dreams for TV’s Next Trek.
- CBS is already ruining the Star Trek TV reboot, says the New York Post.
- Former NaNoWriMo participants share their experiences.
- Great horror rejects the pop psychology that drags down the genre. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- The Hunger Games Theme Park and the Death of the Disney Dream.
- India Times on the Interesting challenge of a 50,000-word novel!
- The Metamorphosis at 100: Franz Kafka’s The Metamorphosis speaks to the banality of terror in a world dominated by capital.
- #NaNoWriMo is back! The 31 things you can expect whilst writing your first novel.
- Standing Ground: Despite increasing health issues, Bob Colby continues to promote Boston music. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Star Trek: can the franchise live long and prosper in the era of ‘Netflix and chill’?
- Star Trek: what do we want from the new TV series?
- Star Wars memories from Sam Rockwell, Sarah Vowell, Ridley Scott, Saoirse Ronan and Senator Ted Cruz, among others.
- StoryBundle’s 2015 NaNoWriMo Writing Tools Bundle includes Book View Café’s own Brewing Fine Fiction anthology, and two additional guides by BVC members: Writing Horses by Judith Tarr and Writing Fight Scenes by Marie Brennan.
- Stories That Helped Me Find the Power Within by Jason Denzel.
- Weirdly, the New Star Trek Series Isn’t Tied to the Movies.
- Why CBS’s New Star Trek Show Is a Glimpse Into TV’s Future.
- Why we’re excited His Dark Materials is coming to TV.
- Evolution is a mural by street artist Blu that would make a great cover for a sci-fi novel.
- The space artist who saw Pluto before NASA. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- TARDIS Prime: What happens when you combine Optimus Prime with the TARDIS.
More Fun Stuff
- 8 Anime Films That Were “Ripped Off” By Hollywood Movies.
- The Ghost Story, Conservative Style. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Moozvine.com is a new Sci-Fi publishing platform devoted to regularly publishing online Sci-Fi stories from award-winning authors.
- Read the short story “Giraffe Cyborg Cleans House!” by Matthew Sanborn Smith.
- Stormtrooper corgi is the fluffiest, most adorable dog in space.
- Star Wars Fan Theory Pegs Jar Jar Binks as The Most Evil Mastermind, a secret Sith Lord. Seems far-fetched, until you stop to consider.
- There’s a New Lovecraft Plaque at the corner of Angell & Elmgrove. [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Watch These Shot-by-Shot “Jurassic” Comparisons.
- Watch a trailer for Warcraft: The Beginning directed by Duncan Jones.
- Why Tesla’s Autopilot and Google’s Car Are Entirely Different Animals.