Interviews & Profiles
- Electric Lit talks with Margaret Atwood & Steve Paulson about Dystopias & Prostibots
- Nebula Books interviews Neal Asher, author of Dark Intelligence.
- Speculate! interviews Katherine Addison, author of The Goblin Emperor.
- Sword & Laser interviews Inkshares Sword and Laser collection contestants Joseph Asphahani, Matt Sobin, and Craig Munro.
- Acclaimed actor Alan Rickman, one of fandom’s favorites, died of cancer January 14.
- Here are the 2016 Academy Awards nominees of genre interest.
- The Last Unicorn film Tour investors file a lawsuit against Connor Cochran
- Mad Max, The Martian, Star Wars all score multiple Oscar nominations
- Poe Dameron is Getting His Own Star Wars Comic Series
Events & Event News
- FANTASTIC FICTION at KGB reading series, hosts Ellen Datlow and Matthew Kressel present: Delia Sherman & Ilana C. Myer, Next Wednesday, January 20th at KGB Bar, 7pm.
- The State of Black Science Fiction Convention will be held June 11-12 in Atlanta, GA.
- Alienation – an intergalactic card drafting game – Assume the role of an intergalactic real-estate agent attempting to satisfy various creature clientele!
- COPD: Highly Illogical-A Tribute to Leonard Nimoy – a new documentary film that provides an intimate look at my father’s life, legacy, and his final years confronting a terrible lung disease: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Known for his iconic role as Mr. Spock in the original Star Trek series, his famous message, “live long and prosper,” embodied both the character and the man.
- Ultimate Dinosaur Fighting!! – Enter the world of Dinosaur Pit Fighting. A fast paced tactical battle board game, where you control the actions of your dinosaurs.
- 10 Things That Star Trek Got Right (That Have Never Been Copied)
- 13 of Our Most Anticipated Science Fiction YAs of 2016
- The 13 Most Nonsensical Theories About The Identity of Supreme Leader Snoke
- 150 Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Books to Look Forward to in 2016 (Part 1)
- The Biggest Oscar Snubs of 2016 include a lot of Sci-Fi
- David Bowie’s Dangerous Visions: Sci-Fi Touchpoints For The Thin White Duke
- Free Volume of Novelettes Eligible for the 1941 Retro-Hugos
- Hey, Star Wars: Episode VIII—Don’t Make Rey a Skywalker
- How Room Kicked In the Oscars’ Door
- JJ Abrams Has Advice For Actors Hoping to Play Young Han Solo
- Joe Sherry offers his 2016 Hugo Awards Longlist Recommendations
- Mad Max: Fury Road and The Martian Represent SFF in the 2016 Oscar Nominations
- Michael Dirda takes a new look at a little-known Jules Verne novel [via Paul Di Filippo]
- Mr. Robot Season Two Will Start to Clarify a Few Things
- The Moving Target of Indie Publishing: What Every Editor (and Writer) Needs to Know
- New Year, New Authors: Top Sci-Fi and Fantasy Authors Recommend New Writers
- Practical Effects Will Be A Fixture Of Star Wars: Episode VIII And Beyond
- Reading the Oscar Nominations
- Sci-Fi Bulletin on Penning a Loose Trilogy
- Steve Davidson rages against writers who don’t finish in “F**K YOU, Dead Writers.”
- What’s going on with Firefly Online? News about the MMO has been light of late so io9 spoke the developers to see what’s happening.
- Catherine Elhoffer’s The Force Awakens Dresses Would Make Amidala Envious
- These Gorgeous Star Wars Sculptures Would Be at Home in a Museum
- “Star Wars High School” by dc9spot because what fandom is complete without its own manga high-school alternate reality?
More Fun Stuff
- Beat Down Boogie has created a new music video featuring some of the best Star Wars costumes that they captured footage of at various events from the past five years.
- The Evolution Of Robots In Movies and TV: Sploid enlisted animator Elisa Solinas and illustrator Scott Park to create this cool animated video that showcases the evolution and different styles of robots in film and TV history.
- Read an excerpt from Written in Fire by Marcus Sakey at My Bookish Ways.
- Spring edition of SF2 Concatenation is now up with the best books and films of 2015
- VFX Reel Shows Why The Force Awakens Earned an Oscar Nomination
- Watch a Agent Carter Season 2 Clip
- Watch a trailer for Orphan Black Season 4
- What 10 of the worst sci-fi villains would do if they won Powerball
- What’s the Most Powerful Weapon in Sci-Fi History?