- National Book Critics Circle 2015 Finalists.
- 2016 Edgar Awards Nominations.
- 2016 LFS Hall of Fame Finalists – That’s the Libertarian Futurist Society in case you were wondering. The award is “given in recognition of a classic work of science fiction or fantasy with libertarian themes.”
- Free public domain images from the New York Public Library – Teleread says ‘for your ebook’, but really, you can use them for anything.
- SFWA “Star Projects” on Kickstarter – a new initiative for 2016 – The SFWA pledges money to publishing Kickstarter projects from a pool of $1000. Read on to see the first two “Star Projects”.
Events & Event News
- Free Comic Book Day Sees Preview Of DC Super Hero Girls And Reissue Of The New 52 Suicide Squad #1 – Free Comic Book Day is May 7th, 2016 this year.
- In the Stars I’ll Find You Now Live on Kickstarter! – Bradley P. Beaulieu’s second collection of short stories.
- Old School MMO Dev. John Smedley Kickstarts a new ARPG: Hero’s Song – This…actually looks kinda cool. And it’s not really an MMO, though it could be. It’s technical.
- Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud revies Rod Duncan’s The Bullet-Catcher’s Daughter. Spoilers: He loved it!
- How Popular is Reading Science Fiction?
- Neuromancer…still the best science fiction novel ever written – Really? Neuromancer?
- The comics and graphic novels to look forward to in 2016 – part one.
- The Art of Deception: UFO Cults and Their Influence in America.
- Ewoks Are More Terrifying Than You Ever Imagined – I don’t know, I can imagine quite a bit.
- Guest Author: Tim Akers on Making Storytelling a Game.
- Moving memorials left for Alan Rickman at Orlando’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
- Scientists reanimate tiny frozen animals after 30 years.
- 5 Marvelous Moments in Marvel’s Star Wars Comics.
- E-book popularity rises all over the world.
- Scientists Debunk Spider-Man’s Powers & Explain Why He’s More Like Frog-Man, If Anything.
- When You No Longer Have Room For Another Bookshelf: Confessions of a Book Addict – I think this important article is something John should read and re-read….
TV & Movies
- The new Battlestar Galactica is available to stream on Hulu, but it requires a subscription. [via Exstreamist.com]
- The Shannara Chronicles Flips the Love Triangle Cliché on Its Head.
- [VIDEO] When There’s No Room In Hell…: Seeing Dead People At The Movies.
- Is Peggy Carter The Most Important Character In The Entire Marvel Universe?
- The New X-Men Series Legion Will Arrive In A Very Different Universe Than You’re Expecting.
- Could Star Wars And The Avengers Cross Paths? Stan Lee Seems To Think So – With all due respect to Stan Lee (and Patton Oswalt), this is a bad idea.
- Four years before the Force awakened, a Star Wars star took on angry aliens – Has anyone seen Attack the Block?
- TV Review: In DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow, more is less.
- The 15 must-watch episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess – I can safely say I have never seen any episodes nor do I ever want to, thus there are 0 must-watch.
- DC announces Harley Quinn and the Suicide Squad comic special.
- Game of Thrones Natalie Dormer suggests King’s Landing has ‘broken’ Margaery.
- Chris Carter on why “it’s the perfect time for an X-Files story.”
- How Agent Carter Season 2 ties in to Doctor Strange – I am intrigued.
- Syfy’s The Expanse Is the Best Damn Space Show Since Firefly, and You Should Be Watching Right Now – There’s been a lot of space SF since Firefly, but I’m not sure The Expanse is the best, though I think it’s right up there.
- A Sith Lord awaits.
- Force Awakens FUI Concepts – New Order Command Bridge Device – A cool look at the fictional user interfaces (FUI) of the New Order.
More Fun Stuff
- $1 XCOM and a whole lot more in Firaxis’ Humble Bundle – Holy crap! If you’ve never played XCOM: Enemy Unknown, run and get this Humble Bundle! $1 is a steal for a great turn-based alien invasion strategy game. Bonus tip: You can rename your squad members as your favorite bloggers. Just sayin’…
- Secret Coders — A Comic With a Mystery and Programming.
- A Stay Puft Marshmallow Man Candle That Smells Like Scrumptious Marshmallows – That’s a big marshmallow.
- An Animated Pixel Art Compilation of Shocking Death Scenes in Star Wars.
- Time Lapse Video of a Life-Size BB-8 Being Built Out of LEGO Bricks.
- Maximum Cute: How Funko Conquered the Toy World – One Pop! at a time. Or, how Funko took over my desk.
- Imperial Stars II Review – Grognard Gateway – A 2-player, quick to play 4x space game? Yes please!
- Microsoft Is Making a New Minecraft for Classrooms – If this pans out, my son would actually want to go to school in the morning.
- Boba Fett Body Armor Will Make You Feel Like A Bounty Hunter.
- Lego Dimensions Adds 5 New Expansion Packs Headlined By Ghostbusters!
- Here are the Polygon team’s five most anticipated games for 2016 – Lots of really good stuff coming. Lots!
- Hands On: Shardlight – A post-apocalyptic adventure game from Wadjit Eye studios. In!